Questions about trip to the US

Monkey Fish

I'm going back to the US for a few weeks. It's been eleven years since I got off the plan at Don Muang. One seat on the way here, five seats going back.

PHONE: Will my cell phone work in the US? I use 1-2-call. Can I buy a sim at the airport? What's the best way to handle this? One assumes wi-fi works the same there as it does here, which will take care of most of my needs.

DRIVERS LICENSE: (I read about this in another thread, but would like to double-check.) It sounds like I'll be OK with my valid Thai drivers license, but can anyone confirm that? I was planning to rent from Enterprise at/near LAX.

RENTING A CAR: Which brings me to my final question (for now). Rental car recommendations? I'm planning on picking up a mini-van and keeping it for the duration. We're getting in late and spending the first night in a hotel by the airport, so plenty of time to get a rental (i.e. we don't have to pick it up at LAX.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phone: you can certainly buy a SIM, I do it every year, but not sure you can do so at the airport and even if you can will not be the best price. You also need to consider which network providers cover the locations you will be in. Verizon AFAIK = no SIMS, but AT&T yes. So just google location of the nearest AT&T store if AT&T covers all the areas you will be visiting (google AT&T coverage area online). Be prepared for sticker shock at the cost compared to Thailand, though. More like $50 than 50 baht.

Your 1-2 CALL also has a roaming option which you can turn on before you go. It is expensive to use (with charges incurred for answering phone calls as well as making them) but will provide coverage in an emergency until you get a US SIM. Also, receipt of SMS are free which can be useful if for example you use online banking at a Thai bank that sens OTP by SMS

License: think so but not sure.

Rental cars: always much cheaper at airports, in fact if picked up or dropped off anywhere but an airport often have to pay an extra charge. So plan on getting it at LAX, large number of companies to choose from so compare prices online. If you belong to AARP, they have discounts. If you don't belong but are over 50, may be worth joining just for this. Again, be prepared to be shocked at how expensive.

You'll be asked about insurance options when you rent, check if your credit card provides free coverage.

Oh and most important - unless you already have Medicare or private insurance with worldwide cover including the US (rare), be sure to take out a short term travel insurance policy which covers health care, and you have to look closely at the options because many will not cover a US citizen living abroad and visiting the US. I used IMG, which will, though there may be a requirement that you have health insurance in the country you reside (most travel insurances require this). A single outpatient visit in the US can set you back hundreds of dollars, thousands if it is to the ER, and for even a short hospitalization think 6 figures on up.

Pre-pay Trac-phones at Walmart for 30 bucks, best phone deal in the US.

For rental car go online and look for the best deals. There's alot of options from around 10-15 bucks a day for compacts.

I'm guessing but the car rental will probably want you to have a US drivers license to go along with the US passport.

Either SIM cards or throw away phones are available all over. Relatively easy to get. Until you do get one, wifi would be good with something like Skype. Might want to set that up before you leave and put a few dollars on it. We tend to use Skype the most when we travel. Wifi nowadays is almost everywhere! LOL

It's best to shop around for rental cars. That are dozens of websites you can use. My brother just used Priceline.com for a car in Vegas. Got it for something like $15 a day! Economy car. Insurance is also important. Are you with USAA? Or some other organization that might offer good insurance rates?

He mentioned wanting a mini-van, which will cost more than a compact.

I forget to mention but when you buy the SIM and select which pre-paid plan you want, need to think carefully and specify to the clerk your needs as many plans will not let you text internationally, even if they allow "unlimited texting". Many also will not include international calls (though some do) but you can buy phone cards that allow for very cheap international calls, though the connections aren't the clearest. Will easily find them at newstands and stationary type stores in LA. You get something like 3 hours worth of air time for $5 -- but in addition the call itself (to a number than then routes you through to your international number will be charged at local rates, which may or may not matter depending on your phone plan.

Cheap throw-away phones will not be smart phones so usually no internet - which is why I instead buy a SIM.

Thanks for all the replies. Good advice and food for thought.

I'd like to keep using my phone for all the other things it does (for which I'll continue to rely on wifi), so I'll probably go with Sheryl's option and get an AT&T sim to keep the 1-2-call one company.

Yes. I've been checking out rental companies on line. Some do indeed advertise very cheap rates, but I'd rather pay more to ensure a decent chance of satisfaction. And we are only thinking about something that can handle 5+ passengers.

This is the thread with the driver's license info I mentioned.

but I'd rather pay more to ensure a decent chance of satisfaction.

Fair enough, but the guy in line behind you at the rental counter will paying half what you pay and getting the same vehicle and service because he did his business online.

Edited by Rob13

I went with AT&T as well last time in US ..

For rental car, best to do on line as others have mentioned... As not only about saving money but also to ensure the car you want is available

Especially if wanting a van... As if not reserving online in advance can be very possible that no van available when arrive at airport

Yes, I saw he needs a mini-van. Just saying to do some research online. Prices vary widely and there are some places where you can get some good deals. I once used rent-a-wreck in Hawaii. Less than 1/2 the price of the big companies. Had a few dents, quite a few miles, but it worked great. I saved a bunch over the period of a week.

Is your mobile a quad band? Different frequencies in the US than here. I always got a throw away T-Mobile phone. Used the smart phone on wifi. Wifi is everywhere. Unless you plan to make a bunch of calls while driving, get a $25 phone. Your smart phone will work fine in the hotel, restaurant and even gas stations. If you want driving directions. Use Google Maps and download the area you'll be in that day. You can download a huge area for offline use. Or, if you want the best, buy TomTom for some $60. Really good app for your smart phone and doesn't need a connection.

Skype is really cheap for international calls....or, use Line, Facebook, etc. I talk with people for free all over the world using FB. Just need a fair internet connection.

From the OP I'm assuming you have children? Do you need car seats? CHP website will have current requirements.

Good one. Found the answer here. I need one for the youngest.

While we're on the subject of law enforcement, could somebody tell me how much I have to pay for speeding tickets? I'm used to 200/baht per violation, unlimited violations. I also expect that officers will greet me warmly, enjoy our conversation, and send me off without a blemish on my record.

Do a Google for: groove ip lite

I used this Android app for when I arrived at SEA last August just to let my sister know that I'd made it across The Pond. Later bought the AT&T SIM so I could do the internet with my S5.

From the Play store: "*** NEW ACCOUNT CREATION HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY DISABLED. PLEASE DOWNLOAD ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN EXISTING ACCOUNT***

It must be pretty popular.

From the OP I'm assuming you have children? Do you need car seats? CHP website will have current requirements.

While we're on the subject of law enforcement, could somebody tell me how much I have to pay for speeding tickets? I'm used to 200/baht per violation, unlimited violations. I also expect that officers will greet me warmly, enjoy our conversation, and send me off without a blemish on my record.

Don't speed. It's not cheap. And speed traps are everywhere. Not sure what your travel plans are, but the highways out of LA are notorious for speed traps.

But the police are professional. Serious, but professional.

I used Enterprise last April @ LAX. I had a Toyota RAV 4 which I reserved in advance (family of 4 with lots of luggage). Great service all around. I dropped off at a different location (Anaheim) with no problems. They drove me back to my hotel and even stopped at an AM/PM so I could grab some beer.

I'm looking at Enterprise now. It's pretty much just sticker shock that sent me here to ask for recommendations. But good to know you get quality for the price.

I notice that on their online reservation form you can tell them what country your drivers license is from. They don't seem to have a problem with foreign ones.

They offer infant seats (for a fee), but no mention of booster seats. Are they built in? [Just thinking aloud.]

Strangely they don't offer radar detectors for people who want to speed a lot. You know, with their family of five, in the mini-van.

I had to pay over $200 for it in NC a few years back...first speeding ticket I have ever received.

You have to keep reminding yourself not to drive Thai style. Not just in terms of speed...all sorts of manuevers you wouldn't think twice about in LOS will get you a moving violation in the US.

I had to pay over $200 for it in NC a few years back...first speeding ticket I have ever received.

You have to keep reminding yourself not to drive Thai style. Not just in terms of speed...all sorts of manuevers you wouldn't think twice about in LOS will get you a moving violation in the US.

Excellent point. Last time I was there I had to remind myself not to drive in the middle of two lanes! Lane markers are respected in the US. Unlike here....LOL

Ur thai license is valid for driving and for renting a car

Most magor cc will include insurance on a rental car if you charge it on their car, just ask them in advance.

Some car rents are LESS off airport, ( sometimes only 2-4 kms away) so check

I have used, https://www.hotwire.com/car/index.jsp and https://www.foxrentacar.com/en.html from SFO

Ur thai sim will work but roaming charges are high

check out,

http://www.usasims.com/

Edited by phuketrichard

Speeding tickets vary by state but are expensive everywhere. You'll pay upwards of $400 in California for a single violation.

Regarding rental car costs....many places (if not most) advertise their prices not including the various - and numerous - taxes, tariffs, and fees. Those will be equal to (or exceed) the advertised price of the car. A rough estimation would be to double the advertised price to get an idea of the "all in" cost of the rental.

Regarding your phone, as others have pointed out, it can be difficult to match a provider like AT&T with the bands your phone is set with. Also sometimes difficult to get a micro or nano sim if that's what your phone takes.

I find it much cheaper to buy a $10 candy bar Trak Phone at Wallmart or even Wallgreens, add a $20 call plan and it's good for a month. You already have a smartphone for wifi so you just need a calls and sms only phone.