British backpacker Grace Taylor missing in Thailand

webfact

Those of you who are saying a young woman shouldn't go backpacking alone clearly never did much backpacking. Just because you set off alone doesn't mean you'll be travelling alone and vulnerable - pretty much everyone ends up meeting up with some likeminded fellow travellers more or less immediately. That's one of the joys of travelling alone - meeting new people.

Exactly, and getting drunk with new people, having your belongings stolen by new people, having your drink spiked by new people, etc.

I've met plenty who've experienced all those as a result of meeting new people

My view is that it's better to travel with a companion and watch out for each other, particularly if you're young and inexperienced. It doesn't prevent meeting new people, but there's safety in numbers.....numbers you know, not your new best friends.

. . the young and inexperienced, do not appreciate the depth and breadth of their inexperience . . that is what defines youth.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why do young people think there bullet proof....Especially in the current climate in Thailand where either the incidents have escalated or just we are all hearing about them more often I don't know but nobody, and I repeat nobody should be traveling alone to Thailand. There's been enough red flags for a few years now and while I'm all for young people doing what young people do and taking year out etc and using it for seeing the world it can't be that hard to hook up with others and look after each other. The,it's not going to happen to me attitude is not a good one.. Hope and pray this ends up okay and the family meet up with her very shortly after arriving.

I can not resist it to quote tearfully message from a prominent member of the dream team TV speculation warning the entire earth unsuspected dangers of the country.
I hope this character is still alive which will prove once again that ridicule does not kill smile.png

Glad she is found and okay but is she a copycat, cryer for help lost cause, of the guy who did the same thing a few weeks back? Same story with a different name. Difficult to offer any sympathy for this when it happens so often. A lot of scaremongering going on around the world. Seems Koh Tao has a lot to answer for.

An offensive post has been removed.

It astounds me that some posters are so quick to judge this young woman without knowing what happened.

This was not a case of someone just going off and not keeping in touch. Something seriously wrong occurred, leading to her being in great distress and disoriented. What exactly, we do not know. But not at all same as the fellow who just want off the grid for a while having fun.

thumbsup.gif

Pleased of course....and no doubt she has had a time .... of sorts.

However, it's stupid of her parents to condone such utter idiocy as to let a girl ( without worldly experience ) Backpack ALONE.

Causing Panic after only a few days in which she was high on something or someone!

She's a 21 year old woman, not a child. It's not a case of her parents letting her do anything.

. . . and there is serious discussion in the UK about lowering the voting age to 16. Promoted as the new "age of responsibility"

Is there not a difference between age and maturity ?

Growing old is natural.

Growing up is optional...........................wink.png

Some folk ripen before others, some never make it, no matter how hard they try to hide it.

I had a women acquaintance in her late 20's in Germany, a country girl. She decided to go to Thailand for a holiday by herself

after three day's she was in a mental hospital being cared for and her parents had to fly over to pick her up, alcohol and drugs

in hot weather wasn't such a good idea.

Waste of time reading this thread.

Another tourist of diminished responsibility. After watching that BBC series on Suwarnabhumi airport, my general opinion on humanity - not just British tourists - has taken a dive.

Stop reading it then!

Yes some tourists are pretty stupid! but we have all done some daft things in our late teens early twenties.

If you are still reading? being that your time is so precious!

Be thankful that you were obviously born a mature thirty year old, therefore never had the misfortune to screw up as youngster, hence can feel no empathy for a 21 year old kid in a fix or her worried parents.

sampson (double entendre) should join the righteous brothers and sing hymns. There are so many crazy foreigners here it is incredible. We respectable ones have to wear the responsibility for their actions. She should be kept in jail till her family pays for allowing an unstable person to travel alone.

If this is, as it seems likely, a drug-induced episode of some kind, then I feel for everyone involved. For the family, for having such anxiety caused to them over something so silly. And for Ms Taylor, for being unfortunate enough to live in a time where a misguided, youthful act ends up with her name splashed all over the world's media in a way that will doubtless hang over her for the rest of her life.

So far you don't know anything.

20 years ago I met a distraught man in a guesthouse at Sangkhlaburi who was trying to recover from a spiked Coke he drank at some Silom cafe, not a bar. I spare you the details but I kept this man company for a few days to help him overcome the misery he got into. He still was very upset when I needed to move on a few days later.

Edited by tartempion

It seems she has been found unharmed..that is good news.

But this incident has made me think..

I never hear of American, French, Russian or backpackers from any country but Britton having such problems in Thailand!

Some have had serious problems ( murdered ) others raped, some missing and some just seem to forget to call home and cause a big stir.

What is it about young Brits( and their parents?) that put them in the headlines so often in Thailand and not the young of other countries?

Rather curious huh?

This is the second person who in recent times has set alarm by making a "panicked" call to home.

Unfortunately those who are mentally unstable, or subject to "substance" induced paranoia will continue to cause uproar until such time as they are charged, bought before a court and punished by way of heavy fines/imprisonment for their behavior.

Further they should be banned from entering the Kingdom for at least 10 years.

This is the second person who in recent times has set alarm by making a "panicked" call to home.

Unfortunately those who are mentally unstable, or subject to "substance" induced paranoia will continue to cause uproar until such time as they are charged, bought before a court and punished by way of heavy fines/imprisonment for their behavior.

A new low point has been reached on this forum.

English seem to be handle their liquor better than most but not much tolerance to the psychedelics..

this is a joke b4 i get manhandled by every english person out there and then it spirals down to trump banters..

lets smile a little today

Clearly it is a joke, and it's hilarious. Hope you have not missed your calling and you are indeed a successful comedy writer.

That is also a joke, kind of anyway. A form of wit known as sarcasm, very popular in England.

Glad she is ok, she obviously needs a good talking to and for her family to bring her back down to earth.

This whole thread has been an eye-opener into just how crass and misanthropic some people here have become.

Do you think that the "genuinely" missing may not, in future, receive the attention deserved as a result of the behavior of the few who cause unwarranted mayhem ?

This whole thread has been an eye-opener into just how crass and misanthropic some people here have become.

Misanthropic ?

What could be more "misanthropic" (antisocial, unsociable, unfriendly, reclusive, uncongenial, cynical," than a person who deliberately causes a "missing person" hunt ?

Some real pieces of work on here. No one know what happened, a friend of mine on a tuk tuk ride got sucked into a stop at the gem shop. He was offered a cold glass of water and woke up (in his room luckily) several hrs later with a pocket full of gems and his wallet cleaned out. she could have had any kind of traumatic experience that set her off who know. Some real losers on here.

Edited by beammeup

Some real pieces of work on here. No one know what happened, a friend of mine on a tuk tuk ride got sucked into a stop at the gem shop. He was offered a cold glass of water and woke up (in his room luckily) several hrs later with a pocket full of gems and his wallet cleaned out. she could have had any kind of traumatic experience that set her off who know. Some real losers on here.

Was she a Brit too?

Waste of time reading this thread.

Another tourist of diminished responsibility. After watching that BBC series on Suwarnabhumi airport, my general opinion on humanity - not just British tourists - has taken a dive.

Humanity. Cheer up and get the bargirl to pop you another Chang

Even better, go back to Mother Russia, and stay there