Thailand introduces new laws to tackle animal cruelty

webfact

Thailand introduces new laws to tackle animal cruelty
Nirmal Ghosh

Indochina Bureau Chief In Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- When 22-year-old Yonlada Jampasi threw her roommate's chihuahua from their fifth-floor apartment in Bangkok last month, pictures of the little dog lying dead on a rooftop below ignited a firestorm across Thailand's social media.

Under the country's first animal cruelty law promulgated in late 2014, she was prosecuted within days and sentenced to two months in jail, commuted from four months after she confessed to the act, which is now considered a crime.

The new law is aimed at getting people to take animal welfare more seriously. The measure protects domestic pets, working animals and animals kept for food. The penalty for cruelty: two years in prison and/or a 40,000 baht (S$1,570) fine.

Full story: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/thailand-introduces-new-laws-to-tackle-animal-cruelty

-- THE STRAITS TIMES 2016-02-23

What worries me the most is what about the stray dogs that come on my farm and kill my piglets or calf. The only way to stop it here is to poison them with food near the pen. I have yet to do this but I'm sure I will be forced to in the future because they already killed my first lot of piglets I bought. They only lasted 2 nights. I can't seek reimbursement from the apparent owners because they don't claim ownership. However, should I kill one of the dogs I am certain they will change their tune if they see a chance to demand compensation from me.

Edited by thesetat2013

The measure protects domestic pets, working animals and animals kept for food.

I doubt elephants are considered any of the above.

It would come under the category of "Working Animal" but the Thai definition of cruelty may not cover the training methods used, which may seem cruel to western eyes. Before you condemn Thai animal keepers I would suggest a closer look at how animals are treated in your own country (Wherever that is.).

As an example: Sea world have been widely condemned for keeping Killer Whales in a tank too small for them.

Start with the local authorities who let dogs wander the streets and beaches with terrible diseases. Lots have no fur and are suffering from sunburn. Some have serious injuries from road accidents.

Surely in the name of pity they should be rounded up and humanely put down.

What worries me the most is what about the stray dogs that come on my farm and kill my piglets or calf. The only way to stop it here is to poison them with food near the pen. I have yet to do this but I'm sure I will be forced to in the future because they already killed my first lot of piglets I bought. They only lasted 2 nights. I can't seek reimbursement from the apparent owners because they don't claim ownership. However, should I kill one of the dogs I am certain they will change their tune if they see a chance to demand compensation from me.

One of those strange occasions where you fence the threat to your piglets out isn't it?

To even consider poison is weird. What if your piglets, children pets etc. got to the poison?

One of those strange occasions where you fence the threat to your piglets out isn't it?

To even consider poison is weird. What if your piglets, children pets etc. got to the poison?

Wouldn't it be idiotic for me to leave a poison where my kids or livestock could gain access to? It does not say much for your reply here.

these laws are needed for a country that has Buddhist religion? then one is really missing the believe and way of living of Buddhism.

the sentience is is no in proportion and much too low and will not transform people who do these kind of things or stop them.

I would like to see a medium sized van equipped with a vet and helper or two to patrol the streets and moo bans with a tranquilizer gun. They could neuter a lot of alfa males and treat or put down the animals that need it.

Wouldn't it be idiotic for me to leave a poison where my kids or livestock could gain access to? It does not say much for your reply here.

You're the one suggesting the use of poison so I wanted to bring to your attention the inhumanity of this use... not only to the threats (stray dogs) but to those things close to you.

The measure protects domestic pets, working animals and animals kept for food.

I doubt elephants are considered any of the above.

No they are not per the article:

New laws on dealing with stray dogs, as well as a law to regulate how elephants are kept, are also in the offing. Domestic elephants currently come under the livestock and transport departments, and are essentially treated like trucks - they can be bought, sold and rented. Wild animals are covered by the Wildlife Preservation and Protection Act, which is also being revamped.

The exploitation of elephants for entertainment and tourism has been a running sore in Thailand, highlighted this month by the death of a Scottish tourist in Koh Samui after he wasgored by the elephant he was riding. The elephant was in musth, a state of testosterone-fuelled aggressiveness, and should not have been made to take people on its back, experts say.

Oh great, it's going to be even harder now to find a vet to humanely put down a sick animal.

Surely if the animal is in pain could threaten them with animal cruelty if they won't humanely put it down

nope I had huge difficulty finding a compassionate vet to humanely put a cat down and they cited Buddhism which, clearly, they do not understand

Thailand is in the Dark Ages when it come to animal welfare

Hopefully poisoning peoples dogs will be covered within the law. You sound like a completely incompetent excuse of a farmer. Tell me, what is your excuse for failing to secure your young livestock from dog attacks and instead resorting to using poison? Laziness, ignorance, lack of finances for a fence?

Hopefully poisoning peoples dogs will be covered within the law. You sound like a completely incompetent excuse of a farmer. Tell me, what is your excuse for failing to secure your young livestock from dog attacks and instead resorting to using poison? Laziness, ignorance, lack of finances for a fence?

Hehee you presume as well as assume too much. The past livestock was bought by me and taken care of by my Thai family and hence killed on their property by local dogs.

Oh great, it's going to be even harder now to find a vet to humanely put down a sick animal.

Surely if the animal is in pain could threaten them with animal cruelty if they won't humanely put it down

nope I had huge difficulty finding a compassionate vet to humanely put a cat down and they cited Buddhism which, clearly, they do not understand

Thailand is in the Dark Ages when it come to animal welfare

as well as having their own version of Buddhism

Acknowledging your right to protect your property, I wonder how effective bait would be in protecting piglets in this situation? It's likely that the dogs would take the bait and kill the piglets. Maybe the solution is to ensure the safety of the piglets with an effective protective barrier/environment, then the issue of baiting wouldn't be relevant?

That is abhorrent behaviour and you should be punished accordingly.

That is abhorrent behaviour and you should be punished accordingly.

What behavior? Can you not understand english? Or are you just being sarcastic?

Something about the Thai administration is out of kilter with their policy, it is ok to kill Asian elephants and use the ivory, but it is not ok to kill African elephants and use their ivory and now we have new laws on animal cruelty, double standards seem to crop up within legislation often out of Thai, and we know the reason why, what we would like to see is everyone equal in the eye's of the law....................... coffee1.gif