CT scan price gone up?

PocoLoco

My pulmunologist at bumrungrad wants to do a CT scan of my lungs, i've been quoted 16.900 tHB for non-contrast and between 22.900 - 26.900 for CT + contrast.

I find that excessive! What happened to the prices at bumrungrad?
I remember i received a quotation of 6000 THB at another private hospital and 4000 or 5000 THB at prachachuen a few years ago.

Has anyone here recently done a CT scan of the lungs? And how much did you pay for it?

6000 and 4000 don't seem possible for a CT scan. I could be mistaken, but I think a CT scan will almost always exceed those prices.

As for what happened to the prices at Bumrungrad? Nothing happened. They are a for profit business that generally raises prices every year like every other for profit business.

Edited by inbangkok

All prices at Bumrungrad have gone up substantially. They are at this point more costly than other "top tier" hospitals owned by the same group.

However, if you have a price sheet from Prachachuon showing only 6,000 baht it is much more than a few years old.

A friend had a CT with contrast done in a government hospital just a few months ago and cost was well over $5,000. I have never heard of a government district hospital with a CT scan.

You can definitely get this done for less than what Bumrungrad is quoting, but not for under 10K at a private hospital....and if contrast (as is almost always needed for CTs of the lung) probably not for under 15K.

Sheryl, The priceinfo i received from prachachuon is 3 years old. I will give them a call today to see what has changed.

I believe that the amount of slides on the CT scan also determines the cost. My pulmunologist wants me to do a very fine sliced CT scan, so i assume that's 64 or 128 slices?

Edit: I just read bumrungrad has a 256-slice CT scanner on site, don't know if my doctor ordered that one for me, if that's the case then that might explain the cost? Anyway i will give prachachuon and bumrungrad a call to ask for the details.

No matter what it is, cost at Bumrungrad will be higher than elsewhere.

The injection of contrast media has risks, all the more so for anyone with history of inflammatory conditions or autoimmune disorders. So I would not really advise doing it at Prachachuon, safer in a hospital. If no contrast then OK but I cannot imagine he would want a no-contrast lung scan.

If you wish to keep the same pulmonologist, might be good to see if he is at any other hospitals. In addition to the cost of the scan have to consider the cost of any treatment that might be indicated, which will also be higher at Bumrungrad than pretty much any other hospital in Bangkok.

Sheryl, yes i want to keep my current doctor, he's one of the only few doctors i really like in Thailand. I've googled his name but can't find any other hospital where he might work. He doesn't work full days and not every day at bumrungrad so he must be employed somewhere else as well, i don't know if it's inappropriate to ask?

I just had a chat with prachahuon, my girlfriend had to call first because the receptionist didn't speak English. She was told 7000 baht, when she explained it's for me that price quickly changed to 8000. As a reason she was told farang needs different medicine! (contrast dye) LOL. blink.png I then asked her to have me called back by someone who speaks English, so a few minutes later i got a call and were told 9000 baht for a CT scan of the lungs. The reason for 2000 baht more? Because i'm Farang! I prefer to pay bumrungrad 27k than having to give my money to a business that charges me 2000 baht more based on my ethnicity.

Edited by PocoLoco

Sheryl, yes i want to keep my current doctor, he's one of the only few doctors i really like in Thailand. I've googled his name but can't find any other hospital where he might work. He doesn't work full days and not every day at bumrungrad so he must be employed somewhere else as well, i don't know if it's inappropriate to ask?

I just had a chat with prachahuon, my girlfriend had to call first because the receptionist didn't speak English. She was told 7000 baht, when she explained it's for me that price quickly changed to 8000. As a reason she was told farang needs different medicine! (contrast dye) LOL. blink.png I then asked her to have me called back by someone who speaks English, so a few minutes later i got a call and were told 9000 baht for a CT scan of the lungs. The reason for 2000 baht more? Because i'm Farang! I prefer to pay bumrungrad 27k than having to give my money to a business that charges me 2000 baht more based on my ethnicity.

Although I also try to avoid dual price payments suspect the above might be at bit un poco loco? smile.png

Pay a foreigner targeted hospital 27,000 baht rather than 9,000 baht because you are a foreigner at a local facility? Perhaps for safety or quality would be a better reason?

There is also the safety factor given injection of contrast media.

If your doctor is only there on some days then he is definitely working somewhere else though possibly not another private hospital - most top doctors have appointments at a government teaching hospital. Some of which have after hours clinics where you can see the professors on a private basis at a fraction of the cost of a place like Bumrungrad.

If I knew doc's name I might be able to tell you where he is. Nothing wrong with also asking him but if you do, do not do it in earshot of any of the nurses, clerks etc as private hospital administrators frown on doctors making arrangements to see patients elsewhere.

My doctors want to have the CT and MRI done with contrast media. I guess that having the scans done on two consecutive days isn't very healthy because contrast dye is toxic.

Does anyone know how much time should be taken between the two?

Sheryl, I've a followup appointment next week so i'll ask him then, but for now i've decided to do the CT at bumrungrad, like you say better safe than sorry.

My doctors want to have the CT and MRI done with contrast media. I guess that having the scans done on two consecutive days isn't very healthy because contrast dye is toxic.

Sheryl, I've a followup appointment next week so i'll ask him then, but for now i've decided to do the CT at bumrungrad, like you say better safe than sorry.

It takes up to 24 hours for the contrast media to completely clear the system in a patient with completely normal renal function. So technically a 24 hours interval could be enough, however

as adverse reactions can sometimes be delayed, to be on the safe side I would say have at least 48 hours (2 days) in between, assuming no adverse reaction noted. Longer is even better as in rare cases adverse reavtions can be delayed by as much as a few days to one week.

People with automimmune disorders and/or multiple allergies are at greater risk than others.

It takes up to 24 hours for the contrast media to completely clear the system in a patient with completely normal renal function. So technically a 24 hours interval could be enough, however

as adverse reactions can sometimes be delayed, to be on the safe side I would say have at least 48 hours (2 days) in between, assuming no adverse reaction noted. Longer is even better as in rare cases adverse reavtions can be delayed by as much as a few days to one week.

People with automimmune disorders and/or multiple allergies are at greater risk than others.

Did you ask the Drs why it was thought necessary to have a CT and a MRI or was this something you requested?

I requested, but even without my request they would have scheduled a MRI and CT anyway, it's necessary because i have several auto-immune diseases and infections. Why are you asking?

Sheryl, yes some in my patientgroup who had a CT/MRi with contrast media had a terrible reaction to it that lasted for months.