Is it worth it to keep trying?

chenposeb

Hi,

Moved here with 'Mrs. Chenposeb' properly about 7 months ago. We have been back and forth for over 8 years now but due to having to look after the family came over for good.

I don't earn a wage or am I old enough for a retirement visa (don't have a pension anyway).

I was recently advised that getting a TEFL and becoming an English teacher would be a good idea. I am regularly asked why I don't teach by most Thai's I talk to. We were also planning on holding free English lessons for the kids in the local village at one stage.

Anyway, I recently went and got a TEFL with quite a few hours of live teaching Thai kids under my belt. The course director has told me I would make a good teacher (well he would do), the other Thai teachers at the school I was at also told me they think I would make a good teacher, the kids I taught all got upset that Kru Seb was leaving, so I guess they enjoyed it also.

Now the big problem, I never had enough money, or time to take off work, to do a proper University degree. I have a ridiculously large amount of vocational qualifications under my belt the highest of which is only HND (equivalent to 2 years at University).

I was told this doesn't matter, and the degree thing wasn't essential, although now I am finding it extremely hard to find a placement. I am not even being replied to in most cases.

Out of interest I was wondering if it is worth it to keep trying the posted jobs, whether to go cold calling before the schools break for holidays, or just find some seasonal job back in Europe for a few months and come back later (although I'll have to leave Mrs. chenposeb back here).

Any opinions would be appreciated. I am up in Isaan where budgets don't seem to stretch to English Language Teaching Assistants.

Good luck in whatever you will do. But the immigration has done some school checks throughout the country looking for foreigners working illegally. And the MOE has toughened their requirements as well as stopping future foreigners from taking the Thai teachers licensing test. Personally, I have a degree and last year was refused a license because my uni is no longer accredited. So rather than risk working illegally I just gave up and quit teaching. It's not worth it for me or my Thai family to get in trouble with the immigration. You may want to think about that. If you even hold English classes for the locals you could still get into trouble with immigration.

If you don't have a degree I would strongly advise against going into teaching at a school as you won't be able to work legally without one. All the schools are closing up now by the end of Februaryfor the end of the year and will re-open for the new school year in the middle of May. If you still want to give it a shot I suggest you go cold calling either this week or leave it until end of March / April when most schools have some sort of summer school programming up and running.

Are there any language schools that could hire you instead? I'm not fully sure about the legal requirements for working in a language centre but I now they differ significantly from schools.

Don't bother going into the private game if you have no experience, Thai will always show interest in learning but when push comes to shove a lot of them will back out of it. In order to have good steady business you need to have experience in order to attract high end clients.

Another option might be teaching online? VIP Kids is one website you could try.

Best of luck with it

You won't be able to work legally without a degree, but plenty of schools will hire a native speaker without one and let you deal with any problems on your own. Now is not a good time for you to be applying, schools will not make a decision until March/April/May and will hold out for people with a degree. There are not enough however so you will find something. Going in person now is probably a good idea, if you meet them and they like you they might hire you. If they just get an email they will hold off for now.

Thanks for the replies.

Although I don't have specific English teaching experience, I have about 15 years experience teaching health related subjects.

I used to run seminars and one-2-one with adults and occasionally kids.

When I was in the UK I was also teaching meditation to professional sports players (football, rugby, cricket, boxing) for about 6 years, so I think I was taken reasonably seriously.

I think I will try to wait a little longer and maybe cold-call. I never really thought about the difference between public and private schools. I do want to do everything as above board as possible.

Thanks for the replies.

Although I don't have specific English teaching experience, I have about 15 years experience teaching health related subjects.

I used to run seminars and one-2-one with adults and occasionally kids.

When I was in the UK I was also teaching meditation to professional sports players (football, rugby, cricket, boxing) for about 6 years, so I think I was taken reasonably seriously.

I think I will try to wait a little longer and maybe cold-call. I never really thought about the difference between public and private schools. I do want to do everything as above board as possible.

Heehee going from teaching meditation to teaching Thai kids english. Talk about an oxymoron. Good luck with that. You will surely need your meditation once you start teaching hehee