Officially Translate Yourself

Johnniey

I don't know what kind of backward country you're from but Canada requires it to be stamped by a lawyer/civil cervant/doctor or something else

Right, my embassy , too ( France ) : they have a list of official translators which are agreed by it, otherwise they don't accept the documents

An official translator in Thailand requires no qualification to be legal as a licensed translator.

There is only one organization in Thaialnd which recognizes and set its standards for any individual who wants to be licensed and that is the office of the Thai judiciary

An official translator in Thailand requires no qualification to be legal as a licensed translator.

There is only one organization in Thaialnd which recognizes and set its standards for any individual who wants to be licensed and that is the office of the Thai judiciary

My wife is a translator and concurs with the above post.

My wife is a translator and concurs with the above post.

Well glad someone believes me.

Yet your brains are unable to comprehend the reason embassies want "official" translations. Your bragging wot work without an oz of logic in there.

embassy wants a stamp

agencies are cheap

nobody cares if somchai from wales can do better it for you "legally"

Edited by bearpolar

That is an interesting fact Johnniey. I have never had anything translated and am certainly not able to do it myself but I should think that you would deprive a Thai of work. It could be considered working too! I would definitely try it by getting a friend to do it though. What sort of Thai document might need translation?

... What sort of Thai document might need translation?

It can be your language to Thai or Thai to your language

for my yellow tabian ban I needed my passport and birth certificate translated in Thai, and for my girlfriend to have my insurance, her birth certificate ( funny, they speak of astrology ) and her mother's tabian ban translated in my language

From the opening post of this topic:

For those who don't know, anyone can translate a Thai document and sign it themselves to make it official.

Don't be foled by those shops that offer "official" translations - there are no such things.

To make this clear -- and please say so if I am wrong -- you are talking about a document written or printed in Thai and its translation into another language.

As others have said in this top topic, it depends very much on the conditions, if any, imposed by the person or entity that requests the translation from you. Personally, I have never needed to supply a translation of a Thai document to anybody and therefore cannot speak from personal experience. It is my opinion, though, that there is no such thing as an "official translation". It always depends on the definition of "official translation" in the context of the request for such translation.

Johnniey, it would interest me to know in what situation you were asked by whom for an "official translation" of what Thai document where you experienced that a self-certified translation by a person of your own choice was accepted.

When the recipient of a translation of a Thai document imposes no conditions, a certification of the accuracy of the translation by the translator himself is, as far as I know, usually sufficient.

Edited by Puccini

I don't know what kind of backward country you're from but Canada requires it to be stamped by a lawyer/civil cervant/doctor or something else

It would be useful if you added what the stamp "by a lawyer/civil cervant/doctor or something else" confirms or certifies. The accuracy of the translation, or the authenticity of the translator's signature?

From the opening post of this topic:

For those who don't know, anyone can translate a Thai document and sign it themselves to make it official.

Don't be foled by those shops that offer "official" translations - there are no such things.

To make this clear -- and please say so if I am wrong -- you are talking about a document written or printed in Thai and its translation into another language.

As others have said in this top topic, it depends very much on the conditions, if any, imposed by the person or entity that requests the translation from you. Personally, I have never needed to supply a translation of a Thai document to anybody and therefore cannot speak from personal experience. It is my opinion, though, that there is no such thing as an "official translation". It always depends on the definition of "official translation" in the context of the request for such translation.

Johnniey, it would interest me to know in what situation you were asked by whom for an "official translation" of what Thai document where you experienced that a self-certified translation by a person of your own choice was accepted.

When the recipient of a translation of a Thai document imposes no conditions, a certification of the accuracy of the translation by the translator himself is, as far as I know, usually sufficient.

I have translated a document (in Thai) from the Amphur stating that my wife has given me permission to take one of our children abroad. this is in case it is needed in the UK. In Canada for example a letter is required.

You are correct, there is no official translators as in other countries. the translator's signature(mine) is enough.

It would be useful if you added what the stamp "by a lawyer/civil cervant/doctor or something else" confirms or certifies. The accuracy of the translation, or the authenticity of the translator's signature?

It seems that he doesn't know what he's talking about. I wouldn't expect a rational reply from him.

It seems that he doesn't know what he's talking about. I wouldn't expect a rational reply from him.

As google exists, you could simply google reasons that people would need such documents and read what embassies ask.

You translated a letter, FOR AN AIRLINE, IN CASE they would ask for it.. and they didnt from your phrasing.

Nothing to do with embassies or anything official.

My letter to travel by myself with my kids was written by my own gf on a piece of A4 paper with no signature.

Edited by bearpolar

Just out of curiosity, what makes a translation "certified?" For example, to register in the US a birth certificate of a child of married US/Thai parents, the US requires "certified" translations of both the Thai birth certificate and the Thai marriage license. Any idea what that means? Can anybody provide a translation and, if so, does it become "certified" if the translator uses some words on the document saying he/she certifies that the translation is correct?

Edited by CMBob

As google exists, you could simply google reasons that people would need such documents and read what embassies ask.

You translated a letter, FOR AN AIRLINE, IN CASE they would ask for it.. and they didnt from your phrasing.

Nothing to do with embassies or anything official.

My letter to travel by myself with my kids was written by my own gf on a piece of A4 paper with no signature.

I never translated anything for an Airline. My lawyer advised me that for Thai immigration a letter is now often asked for since 2 years ago.

Just out of curiosity, what makes a translation "certified?" For example, to register in the US a birth certificate of a child of married US/Thai parents, the US requires "certified" translations of both the Thai birth certificate and the Thai marriage license. Any idea what that means? Can anybody provide a translation and, if so, does it become "certified" if the translator uses some words on the document saying he/she certifies that the translation is correct?

Hi CMBob,

The whole point of this thread was to inform people that no certification exists, apart from the Thai judiciary who set their own standards for any individual who wants to be licensed. I believe only Thai citizens can be licensed for them.

Hi CMBob,

The whole point of this thread was to inform people that no certification exists, apart from the Thai judiciary who set their own standards for any individual who wants to be licensed. I believe only Thai citizens can be licensed for them.

I assume that somewhere on a translation (or, perhaps, on a cover sheet) that the translator signs something (other than only his/her name alone). What language do you use [something like "I certify (or guarantee or state) that I have translated the attached Thai document into correct English"]?

Hi CMBob,

I assume that somewhere on a translation (or, perhaps, on a cover sheet) that the translator signs something (other than only his/her name alone). What language do you use [something like "I certify (or guarantee or state) that I have translated the attached Thai document into correct English"]?

No "translated by (name)" is enough, usually done in Thai and English.

Yeah, i can already see farang tingtong coming to his embassy with lek and getting her a visa with a translation made by her dear dakling and signed "tirak dakling approves this translation"

probably end up on the blacklist

I have no idea of your motive but it's obvious that you are trying to make a joke of the information I have given in this thread and also criticize my abilities as a translator. Care to explain your motive?