Apps and their permissions

Emeritus

I was about to download and install an app that promises to give me information about what's on in Bangkok, but then I looked at the permissions it requires and decided against it.

post-70988-0-67450000-1456252803_thumb.g Location: OK

post-70988-0-36593400-1456253009_thumb.g I don't want the developer of the app to view and download images, videos and audio files from my phone to his computer.

post-70988-0-21330500-1456252807_thumb.g Microphone: OK. Perhaps the app accepts voice commands.

post-70988-0-94049900-1456253575_thumb.g I don't want the developer to see and download the information about my LAN and the devices connected to it.

post-70988-0-25752900-1456252811_thumb.g I don't want the developer to see and download my phone number, device ID and the phone numbers of the people I speak with on the phone.

Last time and looked, this app had been downloaded only about 50 times and I wonder what the developer does with all the information he gets access to. Might he be selling the phone numbers to spammers and the other data to others who can use it for monetary gain?

The developer doesn't get access to anything. The app has access to those functions on your phone to enable full functionality.

If you don't like this particular app to have functionality on your phone because of perceived access by the developer, then you're not going to be able to install many apps on your phone.

If you really want to worry about something you should be more worried what google and facebook have access to - now that's really something to worry about!!

Why does the developer write the app in such a way that it gets access to all this information? Why does the app for example need to know the number of the person I am talking with on the phone? Why would the app not be able to function correctly without this access? I see no logical reason for it. Do you?

You seem to be knowledgeable about phone apps. This is the app I am talking about: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inspireapp.inspirethailand998439&hl=en. If you have the time, will you be so kind as to look at it and see if that permission makes sense to you?

Edited by Emeritus

If you have rooted your phone you can install Xprivacy and the Xposed installer and then decide which permissions to give each app. If the app really needs a permission you have not enabled, then it won't work correctly, but many apps call for all kinds of permissions for which they have no legitimate need.