Denied US Tourist Visa: Report

I would appear that the OP has lost interest in the topic.

I lose interest in most things when I'm sleeping, too. Which I would be, if I lived in the USA like the OP.

Haha...thanks, exactly! And please, ignore that troll...I wish I had from the beginning of this thread, he would have gone away by now.

Thank you everyone who left a thoughtful reply. I realize now what went wrong, and I don't think we'll be trying for another tourist visa...it's a waste of time and money in our particular situation. If we ever do get married, I think we'll have much more success (including once I'm retired and living in Thailand instead of in the US).

...if I were the interviewer the first thought I would have was that YOU were trying to get around the fiancee visa process via a Tourist Visa

Agreed, this is likely exactly what they thought - that she was moving to the US to live with you there.

• Like 1

My now wife had the same problem coming to Au when I first met her .

Au immigration in Bangkok rejected her first application believing she would not return to Thailand . I contacted a Visa agent in Au who specializes in Asian Visa applications .

She reckoned there should not be a problem and did a thorough application and sent some documentation to Thailand and required some details for her and sent it back to the embassy in a few weeks . All sweet and she had her tourist Visa .

My suggestion is you contact someone proficient in these types of applications in the USA because if you do it yourself again you may not submit everything the embassy requires .

The Visa people should be able to give you a good indication if your application will be successfull .

Good luck

More crap. This is another money making scam. The agencies will often tell you with their help you still have 50-50 chance. You know like the same when you flip a coin??

• Like 1

You need to accompany her. She can get a Visa where you swear she will be with you at all times. Also she needs a RT plane ticket with return date.Bring your bank statements and your pension income. You are guaranteeing her housing and income. What is her itinerary in the U.S.? Are you taking her to Disneyland? to a state capital? to Washington?

False. You are not even allowed into the embassy unless you have other business and even then cannot accompany an interviewee. Also, the US Embassy website strongly recommends not buying air tickets or hotel rooms prior to approval for obvious reasons so does not expect to see them in. You a just totally full of crap huh?

So I am wondering in the supporting documents section what would be deemed as an "original" "travel itinerary"?

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-typeb1b2.asp

You need to accompany her. She can get a Visa where you swear she will be with you at all times. Also she needs a RT plane ticket with return date.Bring your bank statements and your pension income. You are guaranteeing her housing and income. What is her itinerary in the U.S.? Are you taking her to Disneyland? to a state capital? to Washington?

If you are not married or trying to obtain a fiancee visa,a $50,000.00 bond will still not get her a vise.A friend of mine put $10,000.00 US dollars in his girls bank account,she had land in Thailand in her name and he was residing here on a retirement visa.That combination got her a visa because she could show reasons to continue living in Thailand..Another retired friend married here finally got his wife a visa after the third interview.I doubt that without a reason to return to Thailand such as a$10,000 or so in the bank,land in her name and other ties ( a job or business perhaps.its a lost cause.Been living here this time 16 years and it seems to be getting more difficult for a Thai lady to get a visa.

Edited by sanukjim
  • Like 1

I was once told by an embassy employee even tho you swear and sign a statement to provide all support

for the lady that it means nothing as once she steps on US soil she is entitled to all US handouts like

food stamps rent etc.

And I don't understand how putting money (10,000-50,000) into a woman's bank account

means anything.

If it can be put in that easy it can be withdrawn just that easy, by her from abroad or from

a family member here.

Also I see on the embassy website that it says even if a visa is issued that person still

may be denied to enter the US.

Buy a plane ticket before receiving a visa?

That's a new one!

Only if it was refundable.

• Like 2

Cut and dried--woman seen as a runner for sure. Remember, every country has the right to refuse any foreigner for any reason. Even the passport officials at the airport have that right. It's fundamental. My thai gf got a US visitor visa to visit me, but it was a little different. I'd visited her several times in Thailand, and she was a Thai Government officer with two kids in Thailand.

You might check out the forum called "visa journey". The people that post there seem to be helpful, respectful and knowledgeable. You could post a request for some help.

A visa agent will probably be a waste of money. The big thing is to convince the embassy officials that your lady has a good reason to return to Thailand. According to an immigration official in the US, if she is married to a US citizen who is living in the US, it is much harder for her to get a tourist visa. That makes sense.

You could also check over the information provided to the US Embassy before the interview and make sure it is accurate and shows that her reasons to return to Thailand are as compelling as possible. Unfortunately, her relationship with you, unless you are living in Thailand, is probably working against her chances of getting a tourist visa..

It is important to look at things from the perspective of the embassy official. They must do everything they can to prevent people from coming to the US and staying illegally, working while on a tourist visa or doing a change of status while in the US on tourist visa.

The interview and decision process must focus on the applicant, not on you or a "sponsor".

Good that you try to ignore "not-so-sunny-johns" that infect reasonable forums. If they are ignored, perhaps they will learn to be positive and helpful or quit posting.

Good luck to your lady in her quest to visit the US. Perhaps a second interview would be worthwhile. Not that expensive.

• Like 1

the docs probably backfire.. why would someone goto so much trouble just to visit for 3 weeks as a tourest? if europe told me i needed to go thru an 'interview' just to qualify to go there as a tourest and blow money in hotels, i would not go.. the only people willing to go thru the hassel are probably not interested in just a visit

Cut and dried--woman seen as a runner for sure. Remember, every country has the right to refuse any foreigner for any reason. Even the passport officials at the airport have that right. It's fundamental. My thai gf got a US visitor visa to visit me, but it was a little different. I'd visited her several times in Thailand, and she was a Thai Government officer with two kids in Thailand.

Well, a little different...my girlfriend has two children and a grandchild, owns an apartment in Thailand, and I visit her three times a year...but then, the US embassy never got to know any of that, because they wouldn't look at one single document in her stack of supporting documents. I think in your case, the "government officer" status did the trick (of course, a big problem--maybe the biggest--in my case was that she doesn't work outside the home at all, just cares for her grandson).

You might check out the forum called "visa journey". The people that post there seem to be helpful, respectful and knowledgeable. You could post a request for some help.

A visa agent will probably be a waste of money. The big thing is to convince the embassy officials that your lady has a good reason to return to Thailand. According to an immigration official in the US, if she is married to a US citizen who is living in the US, it is much harder for her to get a tourist visa. That makes sense.

You could also check over the information provided to the US Embassy before the interview and make sure it is accurate and shows that her reasons to return to Thailand are as compelling as possible. Unfortunately, her relationship with you, unless you are living in Thailand, is probably working against her chances of getting a tourist visa..

It is important to look at things from the perspective of the embassy official. They must do everything they can to prevent people from coming to the US and staying illegally, working while on a tourist visa or doing a change of status while in the US on tourist visa.

The interview and decision process must focus on the applicant, not on you or a "sponsor".

Good that you try to ignore "not-so-sunny-johns" that infect reasonable forums. If they are ignored, perhaps they will learn to be positive and helpful or quit posting.

Good luck to your lady in her quest to visit the US. Perhaps a second interview would be worthwhile. Not that expensive.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I agree that visa agencies are useless. And I definitely agree, me being here in the US worked against her chances, big time.

First of all I've never heard of sponsorship for a Tourist Visa to the US, the applicant must qualify on their own. Second no one can accompany anyone to a Visa interview, nor even a marriage or fiancee visa at the US Embassy. My now wife in the US has her Green Card as I knew there was no way the US Embassy in BKK would approve her for a tourist visa as she didn't have much of anything in her name. She was approved for the fiancee visa, but it took over a year. Now we've been back and forth to Thailand and we just applied to have her Green Card restrictions to be removed after two years. Another filing fee of $590, joint tax returns, joint bank account statements and other things that prove we are really married and not just for the green card.

So now we awaiting another biometrics appointment (make sure she's the same person that applied for the green card), then another joint interview at the USCIS office. They don't make it easy!

Good luck to the OP, but I wouldn't waste my time or money on another tourist visa application.

• Like 2

Is the process any easier if the two people are married?

No. My wife has tried and failed twice. Even though, she has money, land, family here, and I have been living here for 3 years. Most of the questions at her interview were about me and why I liked living in Thailand.

• Like 1

No. My wife has tried and failed twice. Even though, she has money, land, family here, and I have been living here for 3 years. Most of the questions at her interview were about me and why I liked living in Thailand.

Indeed, if husband is living in Thailand it is important to show evidence he is tied to Thailand. I got a letter from my company (a major multi national) stating I was on long term assignment and needed visa for wife for home leaves. Worked both in China and Thailand. Not sure what I would do now that I'm retired.

TH

Indeed, if husband is living in Thailand it is important to show evidence he is tied to Thailand. I got a letter from my company (a major multi national) stating I was on long term assignment and needed visa for wife for home leaves. Worked both in China and Thailand. Not sure what I would do now that I'm retired.

TH

I would think living in Thailand on a tourist visa would surely demonstrate "ties to Thailand?"

Quote "I would think living in Thailand on a tourist visa would surely demonstrate "ties to Thailand?""

I don't think I understand what you mean. Myself, retired, living here legal, on marriage extensions. WT must be doing the same or have a business visa.

Quote "I would think living in Thailand on a tourist visa would surely demonstrate "ties to Thailand?""

I don't think I understand what you mean. Myself, retired, living here legal, on marriage extensions. WT must be doing the same or have a business visa.

Oops, sorry! That was a typo! I meant to say "retirement visa"!

Wife got hers at a US Embassy outside Thailand, so it may have been more relaxed. They asked her about me, my work, our travel plans, and although not in Thailand, they did ask about her assets there. First issued her a 6 month multi tourist visa, which I took as a test case, and we went and returned. Next application they asked her, among other things, if she wanted to go live in the US. She said no. Interviewer asked why, and she said that her husband didn't want to live in the US! Asked her how long we were going to live in the foreign country we were in, she said 5 years....they gave her a 5 year multi, which we've made 3 or 4 trips to the US on, and it expires next month. I laughed and told her she should of said 10 years! LOL.

We live in Thailand full-time now so will apply for a new tourist visa at BKK in the next few months. She doesn't work, neither do I. I'm hoping her two previous visas and multiple trips in and out of the US, demonstrates a reliable pattern of compliance. We'll see how it goes.

FYI. My Thai gf whom I have known 7 years but only visited each summer for the last 3 years has just been issued a 10-day tourist Visa after her 2nd attempt. She's 30, speaks excellent English, has a Master's degree from Thammasat University and has been working several years at a big Japanese company in BKK. What was different about the 2nd application ? Not much but she made it clear as did I in my letter that she "has no intention to work as a waitress" and give up her satisfying career and lifestyle in Thailand. The consular officer discussed this issue with her and apparently believed her stating emphatically that she had no interest in staying in the USA. She's from a successful middle class family with several businesses and homes in BKK and lives with her mother. The fact that she is not the owner of a home nor does she have children was discussed. Nonetheless, the consular officer believed her emphatic statements about wanting to maintain her current comfortable life in Thailand and having no intention of staying in the USA. I hope this information was somewhat helpful.

• Like 2

Correction: My gf is being issued a B2 tourist visa which is valid for either 6 months or a year. Will post more in a few days.

She will likely get a 10 year visa which will allow her to stay in US for up to 6 months. 10 year visas have been the norm for many years now since the process is so extensive and require interview in every case. 15 years ago one could get a us tourist without an interview.

TH

Edited by thaihome

that she had not demonstrated a compelling reason to return to Thailand." Who would want to stay in the Police State, and not return to Thailand? Have you been to, or lived in, both countries? Nuff sed.

What on earth are you trying to say ?

• 2 months later...

As expected (see previous post) my GF was denied is the same rude fashion as the OP's wife. Basically interviewer never looked at her, just asked where she was going. She said NY and the interviewer threw her passport at her with the refusal notice, said "Mai dai" and spun his chair around. She was so stunned she couldn't speak. She sent an email to the embassy visa service and inquired why the "failure to provide intent to return to Thailand" document was given to her when the interviewer refused to speak or look at any documents. The email was replied to saying the same thing as the notice. Anyway....my gf's sister decided to give it a go. She has an office job but no BF, no money, no kids, no reason to return to Thailand and only gave the reason for going to the US as "traveling with a friend" and.....wait for it......YES she was approved. The interviewer again only looked at his computer and only asked "Why are you going and with who". I am of the opinion now that the only thing the US embassy cares about is intent to marry a foreigner while in the US. If I could do it all again I would have left my info completely off the application. My GF will try again next year and give the reason as "traveling with her sister". We all know she will be denied again because the previous computer record lasts forever and she will then be labeled a liar and even her email requesting clarification was added to her record. Point of this post? If you have a GF (not married) and want to take her to the States, have her apply as single. If she is denied she always add you later but if she first applies as having a US BF she can't eliminate you from previous applications. Maybe I should just take my GF's sister with me when I go back. They are almost twins ;) Good luck to those of you applying and keep posting as this info is sparse and dated.

• Like 2

Contact your senator and congressional rep. They have people.

This might work .0001% of the time and under very special circumstances.

The OPs Congressman has full time staff working on immigration issues.

Take the girlfriends VISA denial and go see the Congresman. They all like to say yes to their voters.

The Congressman's staff can get it done.

False. You are not even allowed into the embassy unless you have other business and even then cannot accompany an interviewee. Also, the US Embassy website strongly recommends not buying air tickets or hotel rooms prior to approval for obvious reasons so does not expect to see them in. You a just totally full of crap huh?

In the past, I have needed to phone US Citizen Services at the Bangkok Embassy. Very helpful.

The OP may want to come to Thailand, phone ahead and ask to discuss the girlfriends application with an officer. Will it help? I don't know.