Harbor Mall Pattaya prepares to open in Central Pattaya

webfact

No planning, no foresight, and most probably no easy access

Must be a nightmare to shop at Foodland now if you live on the darkside and can no longer use Siam Country Club road to get to Klang

As far as what they are building across from Dolphin circle it will be another traffic nightmare, whatever it is

It is Terminal 21 that is being built near the dolphin roundabout.

Some of these places are being built with an eye to the future. More Thai families are entering middle income territory. Last time I was at Cartoon Network WaterPark it was nearly all Thais and big bucks to get in. These places are not relying on tourists or expats.

No planning, no foresight, and most probably no easy access

Must be a nightmare to shop at Foodland now if you live on the darkside and can no longer use Siam Country Club road to get to Klang

As far as what they are building across from Dolphin circle it will be another traffic nightmare, whatever it is

It is Terminal 21 that is being built near the dolphin roundabout.

And the site of the Montien hotel is destined for a MBK.

It seems to me that all IT malls are going down these days. This is in no way limited to Pattaya, I was amazed to see how quiet Zeer Rangsit was during my last trip and how many shops had closed (and no, I'm not speaking of the pirated DVD shops) I don't think it's limited to Thailand either.

People more and more do their IT shopping over the Internet. Better prices there, easier to compare, more convenient.

And you are correct I don't have any numbers to support my claims, but do you? I guess not

You guess wrong of course. They are easy to get from the SET and the corporate site. And the numbers show that after a few rough years nationwide, as I told you, ITC's retrenchment etc. is paying off. ROE, ROA, net profits, and share price are all starting to climb again. If instead of authoritatively proclaiming the death of IT City "with no numbers," you'd invested in it, you could have made more than 7% already this year. It still has some good qualities that differentiate it but no point in getting further off topic.

I know the "eyeballs at random intervals" is the gold standard around here tongue.png but in the past it's proven remarkably unreliable for rather obvious reasons. You may continue to believe in it if you wish; in fact, I think you will. "Less business" doesn't mean "dead" or automatically "not profitable." Business goes in cycles anyway; good businesses change and adapt, as ITC has been doing. And so is Jib by adding more appeal to the niche gaming market. Harbor Mall has added strong appeal to a particular market segment to differentiate itself.

Yawn.

But whenever you wanna say something's dead when it really IS dead, like Hardware House, I'll be happy to agree with you. That was an example of fire without smoke. ;)

, so your claims are just as useless as all the others on this forum,

I have a wonderful comeback here but rules won't allow me to write it. But here are five of your recent false claims:

• 1BADDAT & Hooters
  • 2nd floor Tukcom dead
  • I said something about IT City last year
  • I said "Central was empty"
  • IT City is dead.

only difference is that you see them through a different color of goggles, and it seems you are in the minority with your claims.

I do indeed. And it's the small minority around here who are usually right when it comes to business matters and a lot else besides. I enjoy reading their posts 'cause the sense in them stands out so far above the crowd. Thank you, minority. smile.png

I tend to believe the majority, because where is smoke there is fire as well.

I guess the tendency for the majority here is to see smoke where there isn't any. It's a good source of fun, however. Glad you've sided w/ the majority then that the 2nd floor of Tukcom isn't in fact dead.

So I'll continue to defy our Third Eyes and say that the usual reports of Harbor Mall's doom, before it has opened, are premature. wink.png And I suspect it will do at least OK given the location and its market differentiation--even if our members never see anyone in there, wearing a different set of goggles. smile.png

Some of these places are being built with an eye to the future. More Thai families are entering middle income territory. Last time I was at Cartoon Network WaterPark it was nearly all Thais and big bucks to get in. These places are not relying on tourists or expats.

+1. As WinnieTheKhwai, one our best posters IMO, said years ago:

I think it dawned on them [City Hall] pretty late that Pattaya was going to be a BIG city. One of the biggest in the country, after Bangkok. . . . Currently Pattaya is probably up there in the top 3 of biggest cities outside of Bangkok. (Subject to what anyone would want to define as being 'Pattaya' . . .) [speaking of tunnels in Chiang Mai] That needs to happen in Pattaya too; all major intersections on Sukhumvit need tunnels and/or flyovers.

--WinnieTheKhwai, on 19 Apr 2013 - 06:21

Note the tunnel prediction. When the tunnel is complete, then Harbor Mall is in a good location to grab traffic coming off the highways into Pattaya Klang before it can get to CentralFestival. Besides, sittin' a massive traffic jam, some are just bound to think, "why don't we stop in?" ;)

'And the site of the Montien hotel is destined for a MBK.'. I think that is doubtful, Cruncher, because Montien, now called The Imperial Hotel Pattaya, was bought by TCC Land, which is the property arm of Chang Beer. TCC Land also bought the Grand Sole Hotel across the street along with some property next to it. I believe TCC Land is planning an Asiatique Prime on part of the Imperial land.

'And the site of the Montien hotel is destined for a MBK.'. I think that is doubtful, Cruncher, because Montien, now called The Imperial Hotel Pattaya, was bought by TCC Land, which is the property arm of Chang Beer. TCC Land also bought the Grand Sole Hotel across the street along with some property next to it. I believe TCC Land is planning an Asiatique Prime on part of the Imperial land.

That must have been happened in the past few years then, because I know that several years ago the company that owned MBK bought the land with the intention to build an MBK there.

What I'm talking about is at least 10 years ago, so maybe they changed plans and sold to TCC.

It looks by the way a bit scary what the Chang group is buying these days.

Edited by TheCruncher

It seems to me that all IT malls are going down these days. This is in no way limited to Pattaya, I was amazed to see how quiet Zeer Rangsit was during my last trip and how many shops had closed (and no, I'm not speaking of the pirated DVD shops) I don't think it's limited to Thailand either.

People more and more do their IT shopping over the Internet. Better prices there, easier to compare, more convenient.

Yup, Pantip too. People use phones for everything now, and there's no repairs usually needed, all that can go wrong is cracking LCD, and that is often too expensive to repair, so people just buy a new phone. These IT malls were very buzy when laptops ruled. Software was on CD, you had to physically go and buy it, now every app is downloaded.

But Terminal 21 will be success, no doubt, people here love to walk around in shiny malls, me too and I feel ashamed lol