Mars in meltdown as chocolate recall reaches 55 countries

webfact

Mars in meltdown as chocolate recall reaches 55 countries

606x341_325137.jpg

MCLEAN, Virginia: -- Chocolate maker Mars inc has recalled Mars bars and Snickers from 55 countries.

The move comes after bits of plastic were found in a product.

Other brands on the recall list are Milky Way minis and Miniatures as well as Celebrations confectionary boxes.

Those involved have best-before dates from June 19, 2016 to January 8,2017.

The countries involved include Germany, the UK, France, Belgium, Italy and Spain.

It is unknown how many chocolate bars and boxes are involved in the recall or the potential financial losses for the company.

The US chocolate manufacturer produces some 10 million snacks a day at its German HQ in Viersen.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-02-24

Mars recalls candy bars in 55 countries after plastic find
DAVID RISING, Associated Press

BERLIN (AP) — U.S. chocolate maker Mars said Tuesday it's recalling candy bars and other items in 55 countries in Europe and elsewhere after plastic was found in one of its products.

Roel Govers, spokesman for Mars in the Netherlands, told The Associated Press that the recall affects 55 countries but would not provide further details, saying the company would email a news release later.

Mars in Germany confirmed that it was one of the countries affected, and said in a statement that the recall affected products with "best before" dates from June 19, 2016 to January 8, 2017.

"We have intentionally chosen a long production time frame in order to ensure that all possibly affected products are recalled," the company said in a German-language statement, adding that it was in "close contact" with food safety authorities.

It also did not specify which other countries were affected, and Mars in Germany did not respond to calls or emails. The German news agency dpa cited a Mars Germany spokesman saying the voluntary recall affects products made early this year in the Netherlands.

The Dutch food safety authority posted what it said was a Mars press release on its website, saying a piece of plastic had been found in a product that could lead to choking. It listed affected products as: Mars, Milky Way, Snickers, Celebrations, and Mini Mix.

Mars, Inc. is privately held and based in McLean, Virginia. It also owns the world's largest chewing gum maker, Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company.

The Mars family owns the secretive company, making it one of the wealthiest families in the U.S., according to business research company Hoover's.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-24

How does this happen, plastic in food,

Thai food vendors used to put borax into meatballs before its sale in Thailand was banned as a result.

Borax isn't banned in Thailand.

It is available in some pharmacies and most chemical supply stores as boric acid.

Mixed with honey or sugar and water, it kills ants very effectively.

Where did you get the information that it was banned?

Thai food vendors used to put borax into meatballs before its sale in Thailand was banned as a result.

It is available in some pharmacies and most chemical supply stores as boric acid.

My wife told me shortly after I asked her where to buy it from because it makes a good ant killer. There is a thread on Thaivisa somewhere about it being added to food.

P.s Note to self, check what the wife tells me before bothering to carry bags of white powder through customs.

Disgruntled worker lots of them out there industrial terrorists. Another American giant off shoring I see. Snickers is hitting pretty close to home my favorite bar. I used to own candy machines years ago and could never kick the habit. I have one at least once a week. Oh well nothing to worry about unlike razor blades bits of paper should pass through OK. When I look at at all the wars disease and other troubles in the world today I guess I am lucky to reach this advanced age. I wonder what else is bad for my health.

Glad to read the above sometimes I have ants in my pants and I now know how to control them.

And more recently it was found an American company putting wood pulp in parmesan cheese.

Bullshit. Cellulose is a natural plant product found in every plant food you eat. It makes up the cell walls of plants. Manufacturers of some grated cheeses such a Parmesan put some cellulose into it to keep it from clumping. All fruits and vegetables are loaded with cellulose because that's what their cells are made of.

Nice try though. Next we'll do that thing about Santa Claus, just for you.

Boric acid (the powder) will eliminate cockroaches 100% in a matter of days. No mixing with anything required. I wouldn't want it in my Snickers though.

And more recently it was found an American company putting wood pulp in parmesan cheese.

Bullshit. Cellulose is a natural plant product found in every plant food you eat. It makes up the cell walls of plants. Manufacturers of some grated cheeses such a Parmesan put some cellulose into it to keep it from clumping. All fruits and vegetables are loaded with cellulose because that's what their cells are made of.

Nice try though. Next we'll do that thing about Santa Claus, just for you.

http://www.naturalnews.com/053058_parmesan_cheese_counterfeit_food_cellulose_filler.html#

FDA busts parmesan cheese manufacturers for fakery and fraud: No real cheese was used!

That is 6 months of production. Most food product recalls can nail an incident down to the exact week or day that an incident happens. All food companies now operating HACCP food safety plans and have dozens of checks and balances accordingly in daily operations. Major major failing if so much product has to be recalled.

Edited by jerojero

.... Often ingredients, flavor crystals or powders, etc. are in small plastic bags. One employee mistake where pouring contents into mixing vats of product, the bag slips and into the vat it goes too. If employee does not report the mistake, plastic gets chewed up in the mixers and then in the finished food product.