Kasikorn Bank - Grrrrr

I came across a topic from 2012 titled Kasikorn Bank - Grrrr. It's been archived and I can't reply to it, so I'll restart it. As of Feb. 2016 nothing has changed at all. Kasikorn's so-called K Cyber banking is still just K Paper banking. I even went along to a branch yesterday and when I left the girl told me my mob. no. had been added. I wasn't optimistic, and sure enough, today I find that they still can't send me SMS-OTP.

Of course, I phoned their helpline, but it wasn't long before 'cannot' reared its ugly head. Grrrr!

Four years on from that older thread. Anyone else have the same experience?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope. I'm trying to set up a bill payment template. To do that they want to send me an SMS. To do that I need to add my mob. no. to the a/c, so I mosey over to my profile. This is where I meet the first Cannot. Cyber banking or not, I can't add a number without going to a branch and doing paper banking (which rather defeats the point of having cyber banking).

So I moseyed on down to the branch with a sense of foreboding, where a girl took some copies of my passport and then added the number on screen. I just knew it couldn't be that easy. Nothing in Thailand is that easy, so I asked her repeatedly if that was it and she assured me there was nothing else to do. Fortunately I didn't really believe her, so I waited 'til the next day to log on. Sure enough, no number, no SMS. So I phoned the customer service number. It didn't take long for this girl to reach for the 'cannots'.

I was slightly surprised to find the older thread which showed this has been ongoing since at least 2012 and still hasn't been fixed. I mean, cyber banking should be cyber banking, not go-sit-in-the-branch banking.

Having to go to branch to setup phone is good security. You wouldn't want someone to hack your online account and change the number that get sent the SMS OTP.

What I would suggest is you setup another online card. Maybe there is an issue with the old phone number stilled tied to the card.

Have used the K bank online debit card for several years now with no problem.

TH

Edited by thaihome

There was no previous phone no. so it's not that. I use other banks where I never have to visit a branch, so it's not security. One bank I use is purely online with no branches.

That said, I did go to the branch yesterday and got the runaround because the no. has still not been attached.

If you have a smartphone you can setup 2 factor authentication on Kasikorn Cyber banking, which negates the need to have OTP via SMS

Interesting. How's that done? It would be a good thing if 2FA provides a workaround.

Not sure it's going to help. I'm trying to set up a bill payment template, which inevitably bumps into a stage where they want to send me an SMS.

Its pretty much the same as Google 2FA

Its basically an app for Android or Apple. install that
You then scan a QR Code to link your device
after that you will get a pin on your device to enter when you create transactions\banks etc online.

There is a PDF here

https://secure.kasikornbankgroup.com/Download/Documents/QR-OTP_EN.pdf

and this

https://secure.kasikornbankgroup.com/KCyberBanking/Pages/QR-OTP_EN.aspx

Only down fall I can see is you need your phone..

Ha VDO is in Thai of course.

As I understand this is the recommended security by kasikorn

" A security password is used to confirm the request for each financial transaction or change profile
by using a QR code via smart phone. "

Its pretty much the same as Google 2FA

Its basically an app for Android or Apple. install that

You then scan a QR Code to link your device

after that you will get a pin on your device to enter when you create transactions\banks etc online.

There is a PDF here

https://secure.kasikornbankgroup.com/Download/Documents/QR-OTP_EN.pdf

and this

https://secure.kasikornbankgroup.com/KCyberBanking/Pages/QR-OTP_EN.aspx

Only down fall I can see is you need your phone..

Thanks. Looks interesting. Feeding time now so I'll have a look in detail in the morning.

Regarding KBank cyber banking and OTP passwords by SMS are working fine, almost 7 years using their service,

All in all, their call center staff are reasonable to cooperate, at least 80% satisfied,

some other issues or neglectful manners are possible to happen within Kbank and others,,

There are many extra funny stories happened with me,, with the immigration, with banks, with insurance companies etc, but just we give it "let it go"

Did you call the Kasikorn call center and explain it to them EXACTLY like you've explained it to me in your second post?

Not word for word, but yes. She wanted me to go back to the branch to fill in a bunch of forms and to provide 'the necessary documents', although she was unable to specify what the necessary documents were. When pressed on this point she said something vague about 'whatever the branch requires'.

I had been to the branch just the previous day and they didn't know anything about forms. The girl just entered the no. on her screen took a copy of my passport and insisted 'now OK', even when I asked her if Kcyber could now send me SMS. So someone is wasting my time.

Also, someone helpful up above here pointed me in the direction of the Kcyber app and the possibility of using 2FA. Neither the branch nor the support line mentioned that.

Regarding KBank cyber banking and OTP passwords by SMS are working fine, almost 7 years using their service,

All in all, their call center staff are reasonable to cooperate, at least 80% satisfied,

some other issues or neglectful manners are possible to happen within Kbank and others,,

There are many extra funny stories happened with me,, with the immigration, with banks, with insurance companies etc, but just we give it "let it go"

I know what you're saying, but it's farcical just the same. I also use a bank in the UK. Imagine if they expected me to fly to London and visit a branch every time I wanted to add a ph. no. or change some other detail of my profile.

Did you call the Kasikorn call center and explain it to them EXACTLY like you've explained it to me in your second post?

Not word for word, but yes. She wanted me to go back to the branch to fill in a bunch of forms and to provide 'the necessary documents', although she was unable to specify what the necessary documents were. When pressed on this point she said something vague about 'whatever the branch requires'.

I had been to the branch just the previous day and they didn't know anything about forms. The girl just entered the no. on her screen took a copy of my passport and insisted 'now OK', even when I asked her if Kcyber could now send me SMS. So someone is wasting my time.

Also, someone helpful up above here pointed me in the direction of the Kcyber app and the possibility of using 2FA. Neither the branch nor the support line mentioned that.

the add/change phone number and change profile at the bank by a bank officer is for your account security as someone above already mentioned, and personally I'm all for it.

There are some issues sometimes where as bank branches are not on sync with cyber banking procedures. In those cases, calling the cyber banking call center while you are in the branch can help sync then together and help solve the problem

Although I have numerous - grrrrrr moments - with kasikorn, for me cyber banking is of little trouble.

The girl just hasn't updated the system to include your number, I have had to go in twice to update my passport number number.

I thought you could add/amend your number through the ATM ?

Edited by recom273

Although I have numerous - grrrrrr moments - with kasikorn, for me cyber banking is of little trouble.

The girl just hasn't updated the system to include your number, I have had to go in twice to update my passport number number.

Correct recom273....You can amend/change your phone number at any KB ATM in less than a minute......any change you make to the number "spreads" itself throughout all of your a/c's/cards

Correct recom273....You can amend/change your phone number at any KB ATM in less than a minute......any change you make to the number "spreads" itself throughout all of your a/c's/cards

You can change the ph. no. online too. What you can't do is add a number for the first time.

the add/change phone number and change profile at the bank by a bank officer is for your account security as someone above already mentioned, and personally I'm all for it.

There are some issues sometimes where as bank branches are not on sync with cyber banking procedures. In those cases, calling the cyber banking call center while you are in the branch can help sync then together and help solve the problem

This seems to be the only option left, to go back to the branch, sit down in front of the girl there and then phone the support centre before handing her the phone and saying "Here, sort this out between you".

Hi

If you get KB to set you up with a Pin 2 - then you do not need the mobile confirmation but the downside is that you need to fill in the form each time "Add other account" and email it to them with copy of your passport - it does take about one week for them to approve.

This option is useful if you need to do internet banking overseas.

+1

I have been using K-Cyber Banking for 8 years, very pleased with it.

The mobile phone number is standard across all banks for transactions, and it is only required once, so it's not really a hassle of repeated problems. I am just astounded as to why your initial application for K-Cyber Banking didn't include the mobile phone number. It's like buying a car without wheels.

If you needed to amend certain things to your profile, you will need to go to the Kbank branch to fill in the forms, along with certified copies of your passport, visa, and first page of bankbook. The staff CANNOT immediately amend the information to you by their computer systems, the forms need to be send back to headquarters, and it takes usually 3-5 working days, max 1 week. So don't expect a next day to work ordeal.

Once that has been done, you can use K-Cyber Banking to your every needs conveniently, you can change your phone number again without going to the branch. An OTP will be sent to your old mobile phone number, and you must use that to enter it into the K-Cyber Banking, and then it allows you to input your new mobile phone number with immediate effect. This applies to adding new billing templates, new transfer accounts, and so on.

While at the bank, upgrade to K-Cyber Invest if you have the time, allows me to buy/sell mutual funds with no hassle or fuss, at a click of a button. Automatically deducts from my savings.

Note: If you are not in Thailand, you could even amend your profile or phone numbers through email, by giving them photos of the required documents. Very very convenient.

And for the banking phone app, it won't work on WiFi or etc. Because again of security issues, they wouldn't want anyone that can access it with your login and password. They specifically authenticate access by your phone number's registration. Maybe someone who is more into techs could elaborate on this. Maybe somehow, by using your number's mobile data to log in, Kbank can differentiate it from someone logging in through wifi? Which prevents people from using other phones to log in with your username and password.

You can change the ph. no. online too. What you can't do is add a number for the first time.

But you can add your first time number at the ATM.

Actually I'm surprised your were able to set up cyberbanking at all without the phone number added, because they will send you a confirmation sms when you set up the service, so they need a confirmed number when you set up.

And for the banking phone app, it won't work on WiFi or etc. Because again of security issues, they wouldn't want anyone that can access it with your login and password. They specifically authenticate access by your phone number's registration. Maybe someone who is more into techs could elaborate on this. Maybe somehow, by using your number's mobile data to log in, Kbank can differentiate it from someone logging in through wifi? Which prevents people from using other phones to log in with your username and password.

Sorry but that's just wrong. I log into the Kbank website, and indeed other banking websites, frequently over WiFi. Having a website that works over WiFi but an app that does not just defies logic.

Also, the notion that WiFi is wide open to anyone and everyone is an urban myth stemming from the early days. In the course of my work I sometimes access highly secure sites over WiFi using encryption protocols that not even the CIA can break. Nowadays it's quite easy to make WiFi connections secure.