I'm trying to fly to thailand but apparently I need a return

You don't need a onward or return ticket anymore. You use to and the problem was not with immigration but the Airline refusing to let you fly on a one way . This is not the case now but as the other posters have stated you can just purchase a cheap exit ticket from one of the budget airlines.

You don't need a onward or return ticket anymore. You use to and the problem was not with immigration but the Airline refusing to let you fly on a one way . This is not the case now but as the other posters have stated you can just purchase a cheap exit ticket from one of the budget airlines.

Don't follow. The cheapest flight I notice is bkk to say hcmc airasia. Say approx 1500baht. These allow zero change and no cancellation. And yes as stated above many airlines will require an onward flight

A return ticket is not required. A onward ticket is all that is required for a visa exempt entry or to get a tourist visa. A one way ticket to a nearby country would be accepted.

Yikes - I didn't know that!

I am in Bangkok currently and have one of the last double tourist visa's that I got from Vientiane,

The second part of the Visa comes to an end next week.

I was intending to fly from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur and return back again on the next flight to Bangkok on the same day and I was expecting to get a Visa exempt at immigration on my return without an onward flight.

I will buy the BKK/KLL/BKK tickets on AirAsia online and pay at my local 7/11 and hence no one would be checking my ticket purchase that I have already a return flight onward (after the end of the Visa exempt 30 days).

1. Does this mean that if I try to makes these flights I would get rejected at some point in the journey and be forced to buy a ticket out of Thailand before allowed to proceed?
  2. If so - Where in the process would this occur i.e Before I was getting on the outward bound flight or before getting on the inward flight back to Thailand?

Thanks.

p.s I do understand that I have an alternative to extend the current visa for 30 days, but do not wish to do so.

Edited by spambot

Not sure where you are getting your information but it is wrong. This from the IATA database that the airlines use.

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

Source: https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm

• Like 1

Hi Monkeyrobot

Looks like you posted while I was typing - and you answered my question and I do not need to buy a ticket (as indicated in my posted question)

You are sure of this that there is no requirement to buy an onward before being allowed back to Thailand - And also the Thai immigration will not be looking for a ticket either - Yes?

Hi Monkeyrobot

Looks like you posted while I was typing - and you answered my question and I do not need to buy a ticket (as indicated in my posted question)

You are sure of this that there is no requirement to buy an onward before being allowed back to Thailand - And also the Thai immigration will not be looking for a ticket either - Yes?

I believe he is wrong. Its not Thai immigration you need to worry about. Its the airline. You might be lucky. Many enter Los to obtain stamp without onward flight. Its a lottery. I would not. Either obtain a setv or book a flight out.

• Like 2

Hi Monkeyrobot

I believe he is wrong. Its not Thai immigration you need to worry about. Its the airline. You might be lucky. Many enter Los to obtain stamp without onward flight. Its a lottery. I would not. Either obtain a setv or book a flight out.

Hi jacksam

Your answer is clear, precise and actionable without any grey bits that need further clarification.

- Its the kind of answer I like.

Thanks

A return ticket is not required. A onward ticket is all that is required for a visa exempt entry or to get a tourist visa. A one way ticket to a nearby country would be accepted.

I am in Bangkok currently and have one of the last double tourist visa's that I got from Vientiane,

I was intending to fly from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur and return back again on the next flight to Bangkok on the same day and I was expecting to get a Visa exempt at immigration on my return without an onward flight.

I will buy the BKK/KLL/BKK tickets on AirAsia online and pay at my local 7/11 and hence no one would be checking my ticket purchase that I have already a return flight onward (after the end of the Visa exempt 30 days).

• Does this mean that if I try to makes these flights I would get rejected at some point in the journey and be forced to buy a ticket out of Thailand before allowed to proceed?
  • If so - Where in the process would this occur i.e Before I was getting on the outward bound flight or before getting on the inward flight back to Thailand?
Thanks.

p.s I do understand that I have an alternative to extend the current visa for 30 days, but do not wish to do so.

As you are flying AirAsia it is quite possible that they may refuse boarding in KL.

AirAsia Is one of the more strict airlines and they will refuse boarding if you have less than 6 months on your passport, even though that is not a requirement for Thai immigration.

The best advice is to call AirAsia in KL and ask if you must have an onward ticket to board the flight with no visa.

• Like 1

• Does this mean that if I try to makes these flights I would get rejected at some point in the journey and be forced to buy a ticket out of Thailand before allowed to proceed?
  • If so - Where in the process would this occur i.e Before I was getting on the outward bound flight or before getting on the inward flight back to Thailand?
Thanks.

As you are flying AirAsia it is quite possible that they may refuse boarding in KL.

AirAsia Is one of the more strict airlines and they will refuse boarding if you have less than 6 months on your passport, even though that is not a requirement for Thai immigration.

The best advice is to call AirAsia in KL and ask if you must have an onward ticket to board the flight with no visa.

The following does not prove anything but made me wonder. 3 weeks ago I flew Saigon to bkk with airasia. I go every month. Anyway the lady issueing border pass looked through my pp. (I have extension if stay and reentry permit) .

She issued my bording pass. I asked politely why she looked through my pp. Answer....i wanted to see your visa to thailand. Its only MAYBE but if did not have that and was wishing to obtain visa exemot stamp.....im thinking next question would be where is your onward flight. Might add often my pp is not checked.

• Like 1

Seems to be a bit of a lottery. This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum and some folks (myself included), have had no problem flying to Thailand with a one way ticket.

Others have been refused 'permission' to fly.

From memory, refusal was always by the airline, nothing to do with government bodies (immigration, etc).

Not sure where you are getting your information but it is wrong. This from the IATA database that the airlines use.

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

Source: https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm

UJ - what do you make of the following (which I think is new in the IATA database: I do not remember seeing it in the past):

Nationals of United Kingdom are granted a stay of max. 3 months within any 6 months period. Extension possible.

I cannot figure out what it is referring to.

What does the airline want to actually see:

1. A print out of an email sent from a ticket purchase made online or...
  2. The physical ticket issued by the airline (not a printout copy)?

And if an email printout is OK - This can be self manufactured through Photoshop or any other digital methods.

• A print out of an email sent from a ticket purchase made online or...
  • The physical ticket issued by the airline (not a printout copy)?
And if an email printout is OK - This can be self manufactured through Photoshop or any other digital methods.

Yes it can. The legal name for it is illegal. Good luck.

• A print out of an email sent from a ticket purchase made online or...
  • The physical ticket issued by the airline (not a printout copy)?

Yes it can. The legal name for it is illegal. Good luck.

Hi jacksam

Thanks for that - I am assuming what you are saying is that they do not want to see the actual physical ticket, but the print out is acceptable - Yes?

As Ubon Joe explained, if coming in on a visa exempt entry (as opposed to with a visa), you can be refused entry if you have no onward ticket. Can is the operative word and does not mean will. In most cases you will not be asked about this. I never was, not once in over a decade of frequent travel here. But you could be. Would most likely happen if the Immigration Officer was for some reason suspicious of your intentions.

IF you were asked, odds are they would accept a reply to the effect that you plan to travel overland to a neighboring country from Thailand.

In short, you would probably not have a problem but there is no guarantee. It is possible for them to refuse you entry on grounds of having no proof of onward travel. In reality this is unusual and would likely be because for some other reason the IO suspected you of being other than a tourist.

Since this is in the IATA guidelines, airlines make check and you might be refused boarding. Here again, explaining that you plan to travel throughout the region going overland between countries might work..but no guarantee.

Not an issue if you have a visa already.

And as several have said, there is not issue about a return ticket, just needs to be an onward ticket i.e. proof of intention and means to leave Thailand within 30 days of arrival.

I fly in and out of Thailand about every 6 weeks for the last 8 years and have never been asked by immigration to see a return ticket. If they did ask I could always show them one.

What visa do you have. If your gas and oil and have extended time outside los, you are viewed differently. The op is nit

As Ubon Joe explained, if coming in on a visa exempt entry (as opposed to with a visa), you can be refused entry if you have no onward ticket. Can is the operative word and does not mean will. In most cases you will not be asked about this. I never was, not once in over a decade of frequent travel here. But you could be. Would most likely happen if the Immigration Officer was for some reason suspicious of your intentions.

IF you were asked, odds are they would accept a reply to the effect that you plan to travel overland to a neighboring country from Thailand.

In short, you would probably not have a problem but there is no guarantee. It is possible for them to refuse you entry on grounds of having no proof of onward travel. In reality this is unusual and would likely be because for some other reason the IO suspected you of being other than a tourist.

Since this is in the IATA guidelines, airlines make check and you might be refused boarding. Here again, explaining that you plan to travel throughout the region going overland between countries might work..but no guarantee.

Not an issue if you have a visa already.

And as several have said, there is not issue about a return ticket, just needs to be an onward ticket i.e. proof of intention and means to leave Thailand within 30 days of arrival.

The airline will not be interested in "your plans" they will be very interested in your onward flight. And that's the point in question

Might not apply to you, but it depends a lot on your type of Visa. I've been flying on single tickets for years, but that's with a Non-Imm Cat 'O'. Never once been quizzed by airline staff anywhere.

You have a visa. The topic is flying in with no visa

• Like 1