Bring in a car from Europe as scrap / parts

mortenaa

I need a new fun project to fiddle with in my spare time. So I playing with the thought of building a powerful BMW etc. My friend recently did a Supra engine swap, but he had to build so many adapters and such to make everything work. And proved to be more costly (and time consuming) than originally planned.

Looking at car prices in the UK compared to here, I figured if you buy a car there, and bring it here as scrap.. Then you take whatever parts you need, and move over to your project car here.

Anyone here have experience with such?

Search the subject of importing second hand vehicles into LOS and your answer will become crystal clear.

First smartass answer...

l thought you understood CBU and CKD .. his answer is not smartass ...just search postings of importing cars and car bits ... interesting idea ...should have kept the blue thing me thinks.

Maybe cheaper to get scrap parts out of Japan. Secondhand european cars can be very cheap there.

Your plan is to use a car with thai papers and beef it up with the 'scrap' parts?

Exactly. Either import a fully working car and cut it in half, or a crashed one could also be interesting. But the engine and gearbox needs to be intact. Then move the parts over, and register the new engine and such. It's normal practice here, as I understand.

I've been looking at a couple of websites, and seem like UK is even cheaper. But I guess you need to have knowledge with the Japanese market, something I don't. The UK is more transparent.

Search the subject of importing second hand vehicles into LOS and your answer will become crystal clear.

First smartass answer...

Looks like the question deserves it. This has been discussed here umpteen times, a simple search might reveal a lot of answers.

First smartass answer...

Looks like the question deserves it. This has been discussed here umpteen times, a simple search might reveal a lot of answers.

Thank you HKT. If I were to make a 'smartass comment', it would be a lot more cutting than the above suggestion. That was not one of them.

Cheers

Really? I've seen tons of discussions about importing a personal vehicle. I am not seeking advice about that. Please read and understand the first post. This is about import of parts, which I have with the help of 'seedy', seen one thread about. I'm not gonna do the import by myself, but rather use a Thai agent that does this on a frequent basis. I just started to talk to my Thai friends about this as well, and they confirm its more than a common thing to do here.

Before I start a new project, either its setting up a new company, apply for PR, or whatever that involves government eg, i like to do my due diligence. That's why I come to this forum, to seek people who might have experience with what I am about to do. Not to listen to naysayers. Everything I wanted to accomplish in this country, I have done successfully. That's why comments like yours are not just not helpful, they are pointless and unnecessary.

Thank you HKT. If I were to make a 'smartass comment', it would be a lot more cutting than the above suggestion. That was not one of them.

Cheers

As an active member of the motor forum for 10 years, I've seen and heard all the comments about what you cannot do. I'm more interested in how you can do. Everything is possible. Even importing cars. There are actually foreigners running import businesses here. There are people that successfully imported personal vehicles. Wow! Maybe you just tried to help. Well, next time, please try to understand what I am asking.

Importing scrap != Importing cars

Really? I've seen tons of discussions about importing a personal vehicle. I am not seeking advice about that. Please read and understand the first post. This is about import of parts, which I have with the help of 'seedy', seen one thread about. I'm not gonna do the import by myself, but rather use a Thai agent that does this on a frequent basis. I just started to talk to my Thai friends about this as well, and they confirm its more than a common thing to do here.

Before I start a new project, either its setting up a new company, apply for PR, or whatever that involves government eg, i like to do my due diligence. That's why I come to this forum, to seek people who might have experience with what I am about to do. Not to listen to naysayers. Everything I wanted to accomplish in this country, I have done successfully. That's why comments like yours are not just not helpful, they are pointless and unnecessary.

So why didn't you say you were going to use an Agent ,bit like your Bankers Draft thread you slip in something that makes the thread pointlesscoffee1.gif

So why didn't you say you were going to use an Agent ,bit like your Bankers Draft thread you slip in something that makes the thread pointlesscoffee1.gif

Pointless? Ehhh... I have never imported car parts before. There are several things to learn about it. I have imported machine parts from China, so my company here is a registered importer. I learned a lot from that. Still I wouldn't just put a car on the boat and hope for the best. Everything is a process.

What I do learn from this forum though, its that its a lot of unnecessary posting..

Singapore is worth a shot too Morten.

Try Propel. I buy lots from them, although a 135i might not be very common.

Easy to find on the web. A little expensive, but they get some good bits of kit floating through the front door.

I need a new fun project to fiddle with in my spare time. So I playing with the thought of building a powerful BMW etc. My friend recently did a Supra engine swap, but he had to build so many adapters and such to make everything work. And proved to be more costly (and time consuming) than originally planned.

Looking at car prices in the UK compared to here, I figured if you buy a car there, and bring it here as scrap.. Then you take whatever parts you need, and move over to your project car here.

Anyone here have experience with such?

I talk some guy. His made civic type R

Buy 2.0 in Thai and import parts from Japan as scrap.

But its be few yaer ago.

And I not realy ask about details, because before I am not live in Thailand , and now I am poor guy.

But if get money and stay in Thailand its some way get power car in Thailand.

I am rigth understand you want buy some car in Thailand as document and import purts for bilding power car?

You trust Thais service? I hear some send engine or even car To Singapurefor repaire and tuning car.

I talk some guy. His made civic type R

Buy 2.0 in Thai and import parts from Japan as scrap.

But its be few yaer ago.

And I not realy ask about details, because before I am not live in Thailand , and now I am poor guy.

But if get money and stay in Thailand its some way get power car in Thailand.

I am rigth understand you want buy some car in Thailand as document and import purts for bilding power car?

You trust Thais service? I hear some send engine or even car To Singapurefor repaire and tuning car.

Cool!

Yes, you understand correctly.

Regarding service, I know many skilled people here. There are a lot of Thai/Farang people, educated abroad who are in the super-/sports car industry here now.

I'll just add I was looking for a good engine before I did a 2jz swap, and came across a 540i engine. They wanted 300K just for the engine. That was my personal experience a few years ago, so as many allude to, if you want good parts, they will not be cheap.

Well, they wanted around 500K for a whole 135i (2013 model). Thats a straight six, gearbox, fully working interior and electronics, and most of the suspension etc intact.

I haven't done all the math yet, as I dont know all the details. But I've seen E90 M3's in the UK sold for 750K.. Tax and transportation another 150K (this might be more expensive). So if you buy a 320i here 2nd hand for 400-500K. Then another 200K for work and parts. Total 1.6MB. And all the fun, you get for free smile.png

To compare, 2nd hand M3's here are in the market for 3 million plus.

I'll just add I was looking for a good engine before I did a 2jz swap, and came across a 540i engine. They wanted 300K just for the engine. That was my personal experience a few years ago, so as many allude to, if you want good parts, they will not be cheap.

Well, they wanted around 500K for a whole 135i (2013 model). Thats a straight six, gearbox, fully working interior and electronics, and most of the suspension etc intact.

I haven't done all the math yet, as I dont know all the details. But I've seen E90 M3's in the UK sold for 750K.. Tax and transportation another 150K (this might be more expensive). So if you buy a 320i here 2nd hand for 400-500K. Then another 200K for work and parts. Total 1.6MB. And all the fun, you get for free smile.png

To compare, 2nd hand M3's here are in the market for 3 million plus.

But Guys I know change simular cc engine. In car passport 2000 cc Civic and just get from type R parts.

So not be big problem with police checking.

so wish you good luck. Hope its be fine.

Archived