Thailand to face worst drought in 20 years

webfact

Why not ban Songkran this year? Does the government really think people here understand the consequences when they not capable of thinking past 24 hours time frame.

What are you, the Grinch? New Year will not, nor can it be banned.

Perhaps the wasting of water can be reduced in some areas, particularly Isan where the people are far more likely to understand the need to conserve water. In Hua Hin, it's somewhat tamer with the idiocy only lasting about 2 days and ending by 7 pm each night. The big siliness is the Market Village foam party. (Some locals finally get a bath, while some foreigners get a soapy - soapy without fear of the missus becoming angry.)

However, if you believe that the depraved perverts of Sodom and Gomorrah by Sea I & II (aka Pattaya and Patong) would help, it aint going to happen. They think only of themselves, particularly the low life tourists who go there for Songkran.

Would the fools of Chiang Mai who gather to throw polluted moat water on each other listen? I think not. How can you expect people who think it is fun to splash diluted human feces, toxic sewage, piss, and other effluent on each other, to listen to reason.gigglem.gif

I must say i am speechless, having read many of your very intelligent posts.

Were you not aware turning town into a water fight is NOT part of tradition?

New Year does not have to be banned, however water wasting like it is done in Pattaya and Bangkok SHOULD BE banned.

Nothing wrong with banning any water fighting and limiting it to a bucket of water used with cups to poor over each other.

When Australia had a drought problem, water waste was banned, Washing car was NOT allowed with a hose, but ok with a bucket.

Watering garden was NOT allowed with a hose but ok with a bucket.

This is how you deal with the situation, instead of asking somchai's to consider others.

Do not worry, low life foreigners only come because high class Thai provide the environment for itthumbsup.gif

No, no no!

These are all lies!

My Republican friends in America told me this is just a liberal plot to stop corporations from making good profits and there really is no such thing a climate change and there is really no drought.

The liberal, pinko commies, and tree huggers are stealing the water and hiding it from us!

Yep! That's it.

Let's extend Songkran by a week or two and teach those no good liberals a lesson!

Besides, there might have a need to also shut water supply for household consumption periodically so as to ensure the people will have enough water for consumption throughout the critical period

Well the decision is taken. I have thinking about this, the last couple of months, but was unable to decide. I will order a well drilling team now. Problem solved. biggrin.png

as long as you still have ground water! Many areas have been pumping that already.

Why not ban Songkran this year? Does the government really think people here understand the consequences when they not capable of thinking past 24 hours time frame.

Maybe more significant to curtail water usage at lush golf courses and swimming pools that are used by a privileged few.

The "not capable " comment is just childish Thai bashing. Given all the farang moaning about the potential consequences of overstaying or serial visa exempt entries , those who make pleas for donations to bail them out when they couldn't be bothered to get insurance and those who seem taken aback when their "romantic" liaisons disintegrate, long-term planning is hardly a universal hallmark of farangs.

Maybe more significant to curtail water usage at lush golf courses and swimming pools that are used by a privileged few.

The "not capable " comment is just childish Thai bashing. Given all the farang moaning about the potential consequences of overstaying or serial visa exempt entries , those who make pleas for donations to bail them out when they couldn't be bothered to get insurance and those who seem taken aback when their "romantic" liaisons disintegrate, long-term planning is hardly a universal hallmark of farangs.

So do tell what extensive experience you have dealing with locals outside your condo and your nurse?

And yes, you are 100% right, water used on purpose should be curtailed, while water going to complete waste with no purpose at all should be promoted.

Edited by PattayaAl

This will be interesting, a confrontation between the greedy officials who see Songkran as a money spinning venture rather than Thai festival to celebrate New Year. Common sense (unfortunately nothing common in sense here) should dictate either seriously reducing water throwing by reducing the number of days when water throwing is allowed, also by limiting the hours in a day when water can be thrown just like it used to be here in Pattaya, 18:00hrs used to be the cut-off time when Pattaya was a nice place to be and reduce the number of days from a week or ten days on some occasions to three days maximum would produce a really substantial saving, and lets face it three days is more than enough for people who reside in Thailand.

To be honest, the amount of water 'wasted' at Songkran nationwide is totally insignificant compared to the huge volumes of water rendered totally unusable every single day by un-inspected factories, unregulated local businesses, unchecked use of pesticides in golf course irrigation and the archaic dependence by millions of small vendors on ice for basic refrigeration.

To be honest, the amount of water 'wasted' at Songkran nationwide is totally insignificant compared to the huge volumes of water rendered totally unusable every single day by un-inspected factories, unregulated local businesses, unchecked use of pesticides in golf course irrigation and the archaic dependence by millions of small vendors on ice for basic refrigeration.

You forgot the washing of cars whistling.gif

You forgot the washing of cars whistling.gif

Add water parks.

You are 100% right.....there should be no wet Songkran this year . If the government feels they need to do something they could limit water to one day only and ban the use of ice. The Thai people I speak to really do not understand the gravity of the situation.

some points you need to better understand.

govenment brings in rules and laws all they time and they are just ignored so are pointless. nothing will stop a wet songkran.

songkran is very important to the economy which people survive off. tourism helps drive the economy and money needs to be spent building dams to catch abundant rain fall. not digging wells which will deplete ground water.

the point you are correct on is thais dont understand how important water conservation is. this dry season will cut it close to zero reserves.

You are 100% right.....there should be no wet Songkran this year . If the government feels they need to do something they could limit water to one day only and ban the use of ice. The Thai people I speak to really do not understand the gravity of the situation.

some points you need to better understand.

govenment brings in rules and laws all they time and they are just ignored so are pointless. nothing will stop a wet songkran.

songkran is very important to the economy which people survive off. tourism helps drive the economy and money needs to be spent building dams to catch abundant rain fall. not digging wells which will deplete ground water.

the point you are correct on is thais dont understand how important water conservation is. this dry season will cut it close to zero reserves.

One thing in this totally ignored is the daily waste of water to hold the salt water intrusion. What no sea gates? Just building more dams will never cure that problem. People where most of the rain falls should be able to use a large percentage of that vs YOU not I must.

Besides, there might have a need to also shut water supply for household consumption periodically so as to ensure the people will have enough water for consumption throughout the critical period

Well the decision is taken. I have thinking about this, the last couple of months, but was unable to decide. I will order a well drilling team now. Problem solved. biggrin.png

Unfortunately not so easy. First you must find water and secondly you must pay for it - ours cost B 200 000 and thirdly the water must be safe to drink - tests here can costs thousands more. Then you must register the borehole at the local authorities and pay a levy on your water use.

We paid around $20,000 which included the pump to have the well drilled. Testing the water was free and I don't know what you're talking about registering the bore hole.
Here's a TV post about registering a borehole.

When we built our house I considered a borehole and was told we would have to register it and pay for amount used. Didn't go ahead with it in the end.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631335-warning-to-water-deep-bore-owners/

Edited by apetley

Good solution if you have an underground source to tap.

We are in an urban area so increased our storage tanks from 1 to 4. Hopefully we will have enough in the tanks to last for any cut off periods.

Expect the worse, and ignore official comments. Still remember the last lot promising we wouldn't get floods in our area as some friends down the road were waist deep in water. No it will be don't worry, there's plenty for human consumption............... but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I must be missing some thing here. He told farmers not to grow rice because of water shortage. But they planted rise anyway. If the government pays these farmers for breaking the law it will only be the tip of the iceberg. The old rice farmers have grown rice for so long that they did not believe the government warnings. The bad part about this is that the farmers who did not try to grow rice will suffer from these stupid farmers who do not obey by the law. But will receive more then those who obeyed the law> So sad!

In the countryside behind my house, the magnificent golf course uses all the water, poor farmers around can not grow anything for 10 months now. No problem.

Excellent! And there we have the solution

Grow rice on the golf course.... This would up the level of playing complexity.... Throw in a few dozen snakes, and now we have both rice..... and extreme golfing.... Must get TIT on the phone, and let them in on this plan

Edited by farcanell

I was actually going to ask if there were known statistics for water usage increase over Songkran.... I would have thought it to be an important number to know, as I was also thinking it insignificant in the greater scheme of things ,(although any water in the stinky roadside drains is often welcomed)

Thailand's water commission needs to have a serious outwards look at the way water resources are managed in "progressive" drought prone countries or areas

"Managed" is the key word.... Obviously ( with that comes enforced restrictions, fines and dead grass, from time to time)

And... What the hell is with the ice, in the festival throwing water, anyway... Stupid and dangerous... That Schmitt needs banning!

I must be missing some thing here. He told farmers not to grow rice because of water shortage. But they planted rise anyway. If the government pays these farmers for breaking the law it will only be the tip of the iceberg. The old rice farmers have grown rice for so long that they did not believe the government warnings. The bad part about this is that the farmers who did not try to grow rice will suffer from these stupid farmers who do not obey by the law. But will receive more then those who obeyed the law> So sad!

What law were they breaking by planting the traditional second rice crop?

Before all you numbnuts get too carried away, I was living in Queensland...no rain for 6 years...government went into overdrive.

They actually issued every house in Queensland with a little egg timer....you were only allowed to take 4 minutes in the shower.

They spent millions on water plants....mega millions....and then the rain came...and didn't it come...the dams went from empty to bursting....and then there was a flood...the like we have never seen before....so before you spend your millions....let me give you some advice.....today there is a drought...tomorrow there will be a flood....relax

I have not been watering our grass. Yesterday my wife told me to water the grass. I told her there is a drought we must conserve water. She told me no one else will conserve the water. So our grass will die and theirs will live,

She then told me take care ourselves every one else takes care of them selves. Do not be stupid you will be the only one who cares about conservation.

I think her attitude is the prevailing attitude.

I watered the lawn last night.

I have not been watering our grass. Yesterday my wife told me to water the grass. I told her there is a drought we must conserve water. She told me no one else will conserve the water. So our grass will die and theirs will live,

She then told me take care ourselves every one else takes care of them selves. Do not be stupid you will be the only one who cares about conservation.

I think her attitude is the prevailing attitude.

I watered the lawn last night.

I never water my grass. It gets watered when it rains and dry when it doesn't.

The problem with watering the grass is that it grows and when it grows it needs cutting.

Nobody around my rural part waters the grass and TBH I don't think that they care either except a couple of resorts.

Save both water and electricity.

Shower with a friend in the dark. You use less water and it is more fun, depending on your friends of course.

So this means they will actually enforce all the rules about water use this Songkran?

It is a festival with a purpose, to release the tension of the middle of the hot season. If it is used in that manner, it has a social purpose. A lot can be done through social engineering such as reducing the water pressure during daylight hours, banning the water trucks during the same time. Of course I am dreaming.

• 2 weeks later...