Warning To Water Deep-Bore Owners

KarenBravo

The story.

Seven years ago, I had a six inch diameter deep-bore drilled to supplement our existing well. Over the last twelve years, our well dried up once, so we had to buy water of an unknown quality. This is why I decided to have the deep-bore drilled.

The owner of the drilling company did all the paperwork for us and told us that we would have to report monthly water usage from the deep-bore to the government department and gave us a fax number and email address.

After the first month, I dutifully sent a report in with the amount in litres used.

The office came back and said that as we were a private residence, we would not have to report monthly usage. It was only hotels and businesses that had to do this.

Fast forward seven years.

A couple of blokes arrived at the house (I was away) and started taking pictures of the deep-bore, pumps and meter.

They then told my wife that our contract (contract?) had expired two years ago and that we needed to make another contract and that there would be a fine of 20,000 Bt with possible jail time.

We could not find our original five year contract. We didn't even know it was a contract. The missus had to cough up 20,000 Bt for which we received a receipt and got a new two year contract.

The deep-bore is only a back-up as the water quality isn't as good as from our well, which is pristine. Even though we use no water at all from the deep-bore, on the first of every month, the missus has to traipse into Phuket Town and report the usage. There is never a charge as no water is used. It's just bloody inconvenient.

When she told them that we were originally told that it was only hotels and businesses that had to report, she was told that that was incorrect and that all deep-bore owners must have a valid contract and must report usage monthly.

If you own a deep-bore, it will be registered. If you don't have a contract and are not reporting, you had better get this sorted as you may get visited by a couple of G-men with cameras.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did a deep-bore water well last year, and from the company that did the job, we got the 5 year contract and report-papers to be faxed (or delievered) to the office in Phuket town every month, but we just have to pay for water every 3 months.

Two of my neighbors also have deep-bore water wells, and when I talked with them none of them had ever heard about reporting... It's almost 5 years now since they did drill for water, so probably they get a visit from the same people that came to your house...???

A couple of blokes arrived at the house (I was away) and started taking pictures of the deep-bore, pumps and meter.

They then told my wife that our contract (contract?) had expired two years ago and that we needed to make another contract and that there would be a fine of 20,000 Bt with possible jail time.

Did these " blokes " by any chance also asked if you had a music license ?

If you read my post, you would see that we received a receipt. Also, the men that came actually work in the government office. All is legit, thus the warning.

maybe but so far (2 years) no problems (except my dead fish!). however, if it does run out, i'll just buy some from a tanker, a lot cheaper by the sounds of it

If all you are using the water for is household use and you have a big enough storage tank, I agree.

I have a large garden with a sprinkler system that is used twice a day. For me to buy water it would be very expensive.

I paid 180,000 Bt for the deep-bore and for me, it's worth it having water security.

I was looking into this recently bore whole is normally only aroun 4" diameter,a well is usually made with the bid concrete rings about 1 meter diameter.i think generally bore holes go a lot deeper than a normal well

Any way we have a resort that uses a well had it for 6 years never paid a penny or had any contracts.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My well is 11 metres deep, 1.5 metres wide and was dug by hand and uses concrete rings. The water is free. It takes water from the water table.

My deep-bore is is six inches wide and 61 metres deep and was drilled. It takes water from an underground river, or, an aquifer. This water, the government charges you for. It is a tiny amount per litre, much, much cheaper than buying it from a truck.

• Like 1

My well is 11 metres deep, 1.5 metres wide and was dug by hand and uses concrete rings. The water is free. It takes water from the water table.

My deep-bore is is six inches wide and 61 metres deep and was drilled. It takes water from an underground river, or, an aquifer. This water, the government charges you for. It is a tiny amount per litre, much, much cheaper than buying it from a truck.

Maybe a stupid question,but why do they charge for it?

What exactly differentiates a "deep-bore" from a well?

The furthest any pump can draw a head of water is about 34 feet. That is due to atmospheric pressure. There is no such force as "suck" - the pump works by removing the air from the pipe and atmospheric pressure pushes the water up the pipe.

If you want to go deeper, you send the pump down the well so it pushes the water up.

• Like 1

its deep.

usually over 50m sometimes as much as 200m, and about 8" wide, and done with a big drill like drilling for oil, vs. a bunch of Burmese with shovels and buckets

You won't think like that if your "hole-in-the-ground" dries up leaving you with no water.

My deep-water bore gives 22,000 litres per day if I need it.

i didn't know that small deepwell pumps like these existed. did you perhaps make a calculation mistake?

The furthest any pump can draw a head of water is about 34 feet. That is due to atmospheric pressure. There is no such force as "suck" - the pump works by removing the air from the pipe and atmospheric pressure pushes the water up the pipe.

If you want to go deeper, you send the pump down the well so it pushes the water up.

there is an exception Your Honour, called "jet pump" which uses the so-called "venturi principle" to overcome the atmospheric limitations. in short: a part of the pumped water is pumped/injected again in the cycle which, by means of the venturi principle, pumps water even against the physical odds.

pekor_jet_pumps_diagram(2).gif

> there is an exception Your Honour, called "jet pump"

Also the old fashion Windmill, where a piston pump at the bottom of the well is operated by a long rod from the crank at the top of the Windmill.

As the man said, "there's no such thing as suck".

(filthy, disgusting, rude comment deleted)

Edited by jackflash

It works as follows if you drill a borehole you just request the guy not to register the borehole. I our case we are off the radar, no contracts no reports. We only use ours when the normal water supply is cut off, like at present. If we get caught we bought the house with the borehole and how can they charge as for the borehole water if the municipality can't supply us with water.

Karenbravo you must do a comparison between your electricity cost and the cost of municipal water. In our area the municipality's water is cheaper than our electricity cost to pump the water from our borehole.

Cost doesn't worry me. Unavailability of water does.

As soon as there is a drought, the government water is either at reduced pressure, or, it just stops.

There is also the cost to have the pipe laid from the main road to the house for the government water.

there is an exception Your Honour, called "jet pump" which uses the so-called "venturi principle" to overcome the atmospheric limitations. in short: a part of the pumped water is pumped/injected again in the cycle which, by means of the venturi principle, pumps water even against the physical odds.

pekor_jet_pumps_diagram(2).gif

Thank you, M'Lud, didn't know about that one! biggrin.png

It won't be long before you need a license and have to pay a monthly fee for expiring CO2.

But of course! Everyone must reduce their carbon footprint in accordance with the new Global Warming / Climate Change directives.

My well is 24 meters deep and 3 meters in diameter it always has water here in Phuket.

That sounds "by God".

Thanks for the info

My well is 24 meters deep and 3 meters in diameter it always has water here in Phuket.

What kind of pump do you have and where is it located?