HIV test at Thai Red Cross

MZsolt

Hey,

my gf was 2 times to check for hiv, and at booth cases get this result:

CMIA, reactive

ECLIA, non-reactive

Immunochromotography, non reactive

After first case they did NAT, and the result was negative (NAT test was ready in one day - what kind of technology they use?).

The staff there were very helpfull, and try to make us to not worry. But the second case happenes at this days - so still worried about this. Anybody some ideas, or experiences about same issues?

Thanks.

The Chemiluminscence (CMIA) HIV test, is also known as a 4th Generation EIA test and is a reliable and accurate test.

A NAT test is a Nucleic acid test which looks for evidence of low levels of viral infection

Your g/f needs to follow the advice she was given at the clinic and if she is worried she should ask for further explanation/guidance

Have you been tested? If not it would be a good idea to do so.

They say to her that she need not worrie - so she not worrie to much.

I was to test myself too - we were last time together 19 days ago, and I took my test in this days, so 14 days after my last possible exposure. That was HIV 1-2 Ag+Ab ELISA (Biomerieux), and the clinic (the main clinic to treat HIV infected people in my country - Europe) says that even if just 2 weeks, but can consider 99 procent accurate.

Yes, I know that a sure answer I will get just after repeat test after 4 weeks - just find that situation really unusually, and even staff from clinic was able to say that maybe can be false positive.

ECLIA not reactive = no trace of AIDS.

AIM reactive C = The liver produces a protein © in response to a inflamation. This inflamation can be of any kind, serious or benign, perhaps a simple cold.

As said above you must continue the examinations to determine the nature of the inflamation and heal at the earliest.

Regarding AIDS probabilities they remain in case of recent exposure. The probability decreases strongly 3 weeks after then further decreases to disappear completely after 3 months.

I had this case very precisely with a friend who was a little older syphilis cured simply by 3 injections of Penicillin.

The CMIA and ECLIA are both fourth generation tests which check for the presence of both antibodies and a specific protein antigen on the HIV virus; they will be positive if either is present. They have essentially 100% sensititivity (i.e. 0 chance of a false negative) but they do not have 100% specificity i.e. they can give false positives. this most often happens in people with other infectious diseases such as hepatitis.

The NAAT test directly examines for presence of virus in the blood.It is possible to get a false negative only if the amount of virus is really miniscule (e.g. if the infection newly occurred just a few days ago, or the person has been on ART for some time reducing the viral load to non-detectable).

The combination of a negative NAAT and non-reactive ECLIA effectively rule out her having HIV.

The most likely explanation for a reactive CMIA in such a case is the presence of some other condition. She needs further investigations to find out what, starting with a complete hepatitis panel.

As hepatitis can also be sexually transmitted I suggest you use condoms with her until any type of active hepatitis has been ruled out.

Hey All,

thanks for the infos. :)

Gf was called from clinic - they did a viral load test too, and its negative, so we can be happy. :D

Just a idea from my side: NAT, viral load were for HIV 1, but CMIA looked for HIV 2 too, so still be worried and will go to have new tests.

Sheryl, Joe, thanks for ideas - told allready gf, and we will do tests for this too...

Archived