sickness diagnosis

dazzz

Hi , i am living in udon thani and to be honest was wondering are there any real doctors in thailand ?
last sunday my 6 yr old boy became ill . By tuesday he was so hot it scared me so i took him to the local childrens hospital . No sure if they were doctors or cleaners there but they said he had the flu and gave him the usual armfull of medicines .On wednesday i became sick and by thursday was pretty ill with painfull headache , muscle pains which were excruciating esp my calves and shoulders. Really bad cough ,Peeing all the time and sometimes could not get to the toilet in time.My little boy has not eaten for a wekk and same as me find it difficult to drink water?
On thursday went to udon government hospital . Wated 5hours to see the doctor . He looked in his eyes and mouth , said he had the flu and prescribed the usual useless medicine . When i asked him how can he tell my boy does not have dengue fever or malaria etc in a 2 minute exmanination he just said he was to busy to spend any more time on him as he still had lots to see . I asked him could we het a blood test was told to busy.
Friday went to a private hospital and asked for a blood test to see why i was ill . Came back in a couple of hours and was told test showed nothing . When i asked if i could see the blood report , blank stare , no have they just phoned me to say there was nothing . Same old medicines except this time one of them was 700 baht . When i asked them what it was they showed me the bottle , i pulled one out of my bag and showed them , exactly the same but i bought in a clinic for 45 baht .
Today sunday still il not slept for a few days unlike my boy who is sleeping about 20 hours a day but has now lost a lot of weight . Not sure if it is dengue fever as my boy has no muscle pains and we both no rash but have a strange aversion to drinking even though so thirsty .

Surley with the epidemic of dengue fever sweeping thailand they would test for it , or can they tell with a quick examintaion ?
Probaly after being sick for this length of time we are not going to die but very worrying.
I am not asking for keyboard diagosis before you start slagging me but if someone has had dengue fever did they get these symptom ?
dazzz

I had dengue about 5 years ago. Muscle pain, eye pressure/pain, fever/chills, loss of appetite. I don't think I had any toilet issues, but I was a mess for about 3-4 days, and then gradually better over 3-4 days.

I can't comment about a diagnosis timeline, as I didn't know what I had until several months later after talking to a doctor that was attached to a cruise ship in SE Asia for several years.

Agree with Rob13

Edited by Shot

I had dengue about 5 years ago. Muscle pain, eye pressure/pain, fever/chills, loss of appetite. I don't think I had any toilet issues, but I was a mess for about 3-4 days, and then gradually better over 3-4 days.

I can't comment about a diagnosis timeline, as I didn't know what I had until several months later after talking to a doctor that was attached to a cruise ship in SE Asia for several years.

Agree with Rob13

Yes it is just this is getting a bit long now , 8 days for my boy and not improving. Tommorrow i will go to srinagarind university hospital in khon kaen. I just wonder why these quacks cannot diagose anything . Seems if they know whats wrong they will treat you ok .

A few years ago my lad could not stop coughing and was short of breath . Took him to udon general hospital , same thing wait hours for i minute exam ,take your medicine and go . I then took him to AEK udon who told me he had a chest infection , another 4000 baht of medicine . Then took him to bkk hospital ( i think it was paolo then ) told me he had sinus problems with fluind in his throat.Another 5,000 baht for medicine Then took him to srinagarind . He was examined by university stuents very well . Had blood tests xray etc , then they showed to result to an english doctor there . He had a collapsed lung . Build up of fluid in his chest caused his lung to collapse . It was clear on the xray.They suck a needle in his chest ,drained the fluid , gave hime some medicine and he has been ok since .Total cost , 800 baht

3 major hospitals could not diagnose a collapsed lung in a child with shortage of breath and continual coughing. Shamefull

Also no doctors in thai hospitals on weekends

dazzz

Edited by dazzz

Agree with Rob13

Yes it is just this is getting a bit long now , 8 days for my boy and not improving. Tommorrow i will go to srinagarind university hospital in khon kaen. I just wonder why these quacks cannot diagose anything . Seems if they know whats wrong they will treat you ok .

A few years ago my lad could not stop coughing and was short of breath . Took him to udon general hospital , same thing wait hours for i minute exam ,take your medicine and go . I then took him to AEK udon who told me he had a chest infection , another 4000 baht of medicine . Then took him to bkk hospital ( i think it was paolo then ) told me he had sinus problems with fluind in his throat.Another 5,000 baht for medicine Then took him to srinagarind . He was examined by university stuents very well . Had blood tests xray etc , then they showed to result to an english doctor there . He had a collapsed lung . Build up of fluid in his chest caused his lung to collapse . It was clear on the xray.They suck a needle in his chest ,drained the fluid , gave hime some medicine and he has been ok since .Total cost , 800 baht

3 major hospitals could not diagnose a collapsed lung in a child with shortage of breath and continual coughing. Shamefull

dazzz

I Trust NO ONE in Thailand many are unable to do a job properly sometimes even the most basic things. Whether its education or lazyness I dont know but many I see are slipshod and lazy and really couldnt care less, they also have NO pride whatsoever in their work.

A collapsed lung and many didnt spot it, incredible!! The saddest thing is no one will be held accountable nothing changes and on the fairground ride goes.

Agree with Rob13

dazzz

I Trust NO ONE in Thailand many are unable to do a job properly sometimes even the most basic things. Whether its education or lazyness I dont know but many I see are slipshod and lazy and really couldnt care less, they also have NO pride whatsoever in their work.

A collapsed lung and many didnt spot it, incredible!! The saddest thing is no one will be held accountable nothing changes and on the fairground ride goes.

I think there is a lack of compassion and shame . The hospitals are just cash cows. You see very patient coming out with armfull of medicines , most which they do not need .. It is just a big medicine shop.

But you also have to question thai mentaity , sort of childlike. When my wifes son or daughter have a headache or bad stomach they go to hospital taking the family with them. Up until feb 9 i had and apartment right next door to udon hospital and used to watch the pickups arrive from 4 am . Sometime 15 in a pickup because one has a cough . The hospital is overwelmed . The place is filthy , the toilets are all blocked , they sit on the floor eating chicken and rice all over udon hospital . They are not stopped because of the money they spend

There is no doctors in the villages making every person go to the city to the big hospital. I have attached an arial view of the hosptial they have built in the last few years in my village. Very nice place BUT NO DOCTORS??!! Just cleaners

crazy

dazzz

post-220488-0-45390500-1456633658_thumb.

What you describe does not sound like dengue. Dengue will always present with high fever and usually chills, and cough is not a feature.

Like it or not, the influenza diagnosis is probably correct. I suspect the blood test they told you showed "nothing" was a complete blood count. In a bacterial infection, the white blood cells will be elevated. In dengue, they will be a little low as may be the platlets. Presumably all the counts were normal in your case which is consistent with viral infection such as influenza, which is what your symptoms most closely resemble.

Srinagarind (KKU Hospital) is definitely the best option in Issan. They have an after hours clinic where you can see a Professor by appointment, worth doing as it reduces waits and also you are treated by a senior doctor rather than an intern or resident in training (as will happen through the public channel). You can also specify a need for a doctor with fluent English, which will help.

what are the names of the 'armful of medicines' giving for the boy ?

iirc dengue symptoms can vary , with some that 'have dengue' having few symptoms -> the classic 'break bone fever' stuff. and that there is no treatment per se, other than IV and watchful waiting.

with malaria, there is some treatment, but i'm not sure if it can be diagnosed by a Complet Blood Count , per se, i supposed this is flu season in thailand. flu is viral not bacterial, unless you have secondary problems whence, antibiotics might be indicated, esp i suppose if the White Blood Cells were elevated, but since yours was normal, i don't suppose antibiotics should be prescribed, unless the boy is high risk for some reason .....

What you describe does not sound like dengue. Dengue will always present with high fever and usually chills, and cough is not a feature.

Like it or not, the influenza diagnosis is probably correct. I suspect the blood test they told you showed "nothing" was a complete blood count. In a bacterial infection, the white blood cells will be elevated. In dengue, they will be a little low as may be the platlets. Presumably all the counts were normal in your case which is consistent with viral infection such as influenza, which is what your symptoms most closely resemble.

Srinagarind (KKU Hospital) is definitely the best option in Issan. They have an after hours clinic where you can see a Professor by appointment, worth doing as it reduces waits and also you are treated by a senior doctor rather than an intern or resident in training (as will happen through the public channel). You can also specify a need for a doctor with fluent English, which will help.

Yes you are probaly right ,not dengue fever but 8 days seems a long time for the flu and the severity of it is amazing . I have never been so sick in my life . Even now tring to type is so hard.

medicines i have been given

chlorpheniramine

t.v mox dry syrup

glycerylguaiacolat

one i cannot read

chlorpheniramine maleate

surap paracetamol suspension

and anothe 10 i have thrown in the bin

OP, I sympathise.

15 years in Thailand I have not seen much of quality medicine, including Bumrungrad and Samitivej.

For Udon Thani I will only trust dr Wasee at AEK Udon, although last time I saw her she had her mind elsewhere.

We have a near worthless anamai 100m from out home, they can only handle minor issues and tell you to go to the amphur hospital for more serious things, who will tell you to go to Udon main hospital for really serious issues, if you survived that long, and help there is not the best in Udon....

God luck at KK srinakarin and let us know ( I also think it is the flu)

Edited by tartempion

Diagnosis

• Acute and convalescent serologic testing

Dengue fever is suspected in patients who live in or have traveled to endemic areas if they develop sudden fever, headache, myalgias, and adenopathy, particularly with the characteristic rash or recurrent fever. Evaluation should rule out alternative diagnoses, especially malaria and leptospirosis.

Diagnostic studies include serologic testing, antigen detection, and PCR of blood. Serologic testing involves hemagglutination inhibiting or complement fixation tests using paired sera, but cross-reactions with other flavivirus antibodies are possible. Antigen detection is available in some parts of the world (not in the US), and PCR is usually done only in laboratories with special expertise. Although rarely done and difficult, cultures can be done using mosquitoes or specialized cell lines in specialized laboratories.

CBC may show leukopenia by the 2nd day of fever; by the 4th or 5th day, the WBC count may be 2000 to 4000/μL with only 20 to 40% granulocytes. Urinalysis may show moderate albuminuria and a few casts. Thrombocytopenia may also be present.

the chlorpheniramine is going to zap your energy i believe, being an anti histamine

what does and how often are you taking it ?

Yes you are probaly right ,not dengue fever but 8 days seems a long time for the flu and the severity of it is amazing . I have never been so sick in my life . Even now tring to type is so hard.
medicines i have been given
chlorpheniramine
t.v mox dry syrup
glycerylguaiacolat

one i cannot read
chlorpheniramine maleate
surap paracetamol suspension
and anothe 10 i have thrown in the bin

Except for the paracetemol, none of these drugs are going to do you any good and the chlorpheneramine will indeed make you tired.

With influenza, secondary bacterial infection can occur so the blood count should be repeated. Which I am sure they will do a KKU.

Except for the paracetemol, none of these drugs are going to do you any good and the chlorpheneramine will indeed make you tired.

With influenza, secondary bacterial infection can occur so the blood count should be repeated. Which I am sure they will do a KKU.

I try repeatedly to tell my Wife this and she keeps saying go to hospital, I always decline and we go through the same rigmarole every time I get flu............Paracetomol and bed end of treatment.

hence the unstoppable rise of antibiotic resistant microbes, the apparent benign dol'ing out of , high power antibiotics as 1st line ; though, that is not what the 2nd sentence here says, fwiw

I try repeatedly to tell my Wife this and she keeps saying go to hospital, I always decline and we go through the same rigmarole every time I get flu............Paracetomol and bed end of treatment.

Sorry guys been out of it for a while . Went to kk hospital where they did blood tests but could not find what was wrong .Put my boy on a drip and he improved no end . Told me i did not have dengue fever but could not tell me what i had . Stayed ther for 2 days and much improved came home with the usual medicines.
Fever and muscle pain cleared up but still ill after over 2 weeks ,4 hospitals and 2 clinics have and no idea why ?
WE both have really bad chesty coughs , headaches some nausea and the need to constantly sleep . Little appetite and i have lost a lot of weight which i needed to do , so a drastic diet but my boy looks like a skeleton . Does not seem any options except ride it out and hope we improve soon . Have been toying with flying outside thailand to a hospital with real doctors.
dazzz