Poll says people are worried there may not be enough water for consumption

webfact

The people maybe worried, but the Government,not so much,

as this problem was forecast months an months ago,and only

now are the Government are starting to make plans (?),or should

i say think about what could happen,but Songkran,will still go ahead.

regards worgeordie

They should have cut the farmers of long ago. Water for human consumption is far more important. But they worried too much about their image instead of thinking of the majority of people. In Ayttaya 70% of the water used is used by farmers. So cutting down on them would have helped the normal people.

In todays world I am having difficulty figuring out who normal people are. I guess I have watched to many GOP debates.

regards worgeordie

They should have cut the farmers of long ago. Water for human consumption is far more important. But they worried too much about their image instead of thinking of the majority of people. In Ayttaya 70% of the water used is used by farmers. So cutting down on them would have helped the normal people.

What a good idea, destroy the farmers then no food. Who needs food anyway?

Is this one of those raise your hand questions? Mine is up. I wonder how much water 30 million tourists consume yearly?

regards worgeordie

It's not just farmers! INDUSTRY is a major, if not THE major consumer of water.......but the government keeps quiet about them for some reason.....

Consumption is only pat of the problem anyway. it is management that is the main problem.....poor infrastructure - i.e. pies etc lose 30% or so and poorly designed dams lose to leakage, evaporation and being unable to deliver where it is needed.

I thought the same but in the article about Ayuttaya also on Thaivisa it was clear that farmers used like 70% industry 20% or so and normal people 10%. You can look it up it was in one of the Thavisa topics not to long ago. So I was as surprised as you.

The drought started not long after the USA Inc wanted to "study" the weather the skies began being sprayed with aerosols. Now the skies are covered in some kind of chemical haze and it doesn't seem to rain. How about stopped the aerosol spreading and see if weather patterns return tonormal?l Who wants to breathe that $hit anyway?

If I lived in any city especially one that started with a P. I would bottling water in old beer bottles or soft drink bottles as I fear the taps will run dry after soakrun. Up here in the far north I have a well and the water comes up from below the level of the rice fields all around and even I worry about the well running dry . Never mind eh , we are off to Nan for soakrun and there is always water up there ( or so I have been told by the TW )

The drought started not long after the USA Inc wanted to "study" the weather the skies began being sprayed with aerosols. Now the skies are covered in some kind of chemical haze and it doesn't seem to rain. How about stopped the aerosol spreading and see if weather patterns return tonormal?l Who wants to breathe that $hit anyway?

So you believe that el-nino is caused by the USA spraying aerosols..... aka chem trails ? crazy.gif

Where's my tinfoil hat gone.

Careful you'll upset the property developers !!! ( just because no lights on doesn't mean not sold )

Remember 80-90 percent of those condos where sold to savy inverters ( flippers) before they even finished building

according to their advertising bumf act quickly last few left etc etc.

Thank the gods that most of them are unoccupied I'm sure the electric,water, sewage and traffic networks would be under immense strain if not.

regards worgeordie

I wonder what proportion of the population of Ayttaya (province) are farmers - as opposed to "normal people"?

Edited by JAG

regards worgeordie

What a good idea, destroy the farmers then no food. Who needs food anyway?

the most water intensive food crop is rice - Thailand is one of the worlds largest exporters of rice. It's foreign exchange that will suffer.

You do know that there are drought tolerant strains of rice, why Thailand doesn't grow them I don't know.

now I've made my point, if you disagree, do some research and put forward a counter argument - don't be so lazy.
OK let's think about it. The average person drinks about 5 bottles of water equally to about 2 to 3 liters. The average person during songkran throws or shoots their water pistols which average almost the same amount of water in a bottle maybe 100 or more times during one day. Do this daily and you will easily see that about 500 times more water is wasted during this holiday. So how can this NOT affect the water supply for consumption?

You seriously think that what we drink is the sum total of water consumption in this country??????

Even household consumption - which doesn't include bottled water - is washing machines showers gardens etc etc (BTW -= people drink water 365 days of the year not just a couple.)

On top of that there is agriculture and on top of that industry....it seems fairly obvious that you have only the most tenuous grasp of what constitutes water consumption in Thailand

if it helps compare a main day of Song Khran with the amount of water left behind after one afternoon's rain - then you get an idea.....

Edited by cumgranosalum

now I've made my point, if you disagree, do some research and put forward a counter argument - don't be so lazy.
OK let's think about it. The average person drinks about 5 bottles of water equally to about 2 to 3 liters. The average person during songkran throws or shoots their water pistols which average almost the same amount of water in a bottle maybe 100 or more times during one day. Do this daily and you will easily see that about 500 times more water is wasted during this holiday. So how can this NOT affect the water supply for consumption?

You seriously think that what we drink is the sum total of water consumption in this country??????

Even household consumption - which doesn't include bottled water - is washing machines showers gardens etc etc (BTW -= people drink water 365 days of the year not just a couple.)

On top of that there is agriculture and on top of that industry....it seems fairly obvious that you have only the most tenuous grasp of what constitutes water consumption in Thailand

if it helps compare a main day of Song Khran with the amount of water left behind after one afternoon's rain - then you get an idea.....

And you are not using your head to think that all those things people do with water will stop just so people can throw water. So how can you think that Songkran wont affect the water supply? You also are fairly ignorant to what happens outside the cities in those farming areas. People fill a bucket and bathe their whole family with it. Only us foreigners waste water so much with long showers.

The one main water fight incidence over Songkran will waste enough water to float a few battleships.

But that won't be affected!

that is patently incorrect. do some research.

What WOULD help is to see Song Khran turned into a festival of WATER CONSERVATION.

Raise public awareness rather than just have a rampant water hurling battle - which is not what it was in the first place anyway.....like Christmas, it has lost all meaning.

Where is your research to prove me wrong?

I read millions upon millions of cubic liters nationwide...

For Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan provinces, total daily consumption is 5.2 million cubic metres. During the summer, water consumption _ mostly from showers _ increases to 100,000 cubic metres per day. The MWA estimates that water splashing during the Songkran festival in the capital and its vicinities will add another 100,000 cubic metres to daily demand.

On April 13 last year, people in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan provinces consumed an additional 100,000 cubic metres of water _ presumably for splashing to celebrate Songkran. According to the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA), that amount of water was added to the tap water system. For the sake of comparison, that amount of water would need 8,333 12-tonne trucks for storage. If those 8,333 trucks lined up, the total length would be 100km _ the distance from Bangkok to Sara Buri province.

A small battleship is 15,000 long tons, requiring 15.2 million litres of water to float it, 100,000 m3 would float 6 of them!

There is my attempt at reasearch.

Have you ever attended the last day water fight in Pattaya? Last year they were even misting water on Beach rd to cool people down.

The one main water fight incidence over Songkran will waste enough water to float a few battleships.

What WOULD help is to see Song Khran turned into a festival of WATER CONSERVATION.

Raise public awareness rather than just have a rampant water hurling battle - which is not what it was in the first place anyway.....like Christmas, it has lost all meaning.

If it's incorrect, then share with us the source of your knowledge and then we can weigh up the facts. No use just repeating that Songkran doesn't waste much water when most agree that it does.

People who ask for citations on a forum either have no argument or are too lazy to look for themselves.

actually if you used a little common sense you could quite easily get an idea of how much water is used at song khran

You made a citation did you not?

regards worgeordie

I wonder what proportion of the population of Ayttaya (province) are farmers - as opposed to "normal people"?

Good point, I have actually no idea but i think that Ayuttaya has more farmers compared to BKK. But it also has quite a bit of industry (car manufacturers). I was quite suprised by the figures, it really seems rice growing is too water intensive. Now I just think that water for human consumption outweighs all other uses. Then it is only reasonable you cut from the biggest user (farming) first and then industry, to make enough for human consumption.

For Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan provinces, total daily consumption is 5.2 million cubic metres. During the summer, water consumption _ mostly from showers _ increases to 100,000 cubic metres per day. The MWA estimates that water splashing during the Songkran festival in the capital and its vicinities will add another 100,000 cubic metres to daily demand.

On April 13 last year, people in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan provinces consumed an additional 100,000 cubic metres of water _ presumably for splashing to celebrate Songkran. According to the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA), that amount of water was added to the tap water system. For the sake of comparison, that amount of water would need 8,333 12-tonne trucks for storage. If those 8,333 trucks lined up, the total length would be 100km _ the distance from Bangkok to Sara Buri province.

A small battleship is 15,000 long tons, requiring 15.2 million litres of water to float it, 100,000 m3 would float 6 of them!

Have you ever attended the last day water fight in Pattaya? Last year they were even misting water on Beach rd to cool people down.

So songkran only uses an additional day per day of playing. That is not much and it only water consumption not what farmers use they still use far more 70% of all water compared to human use. So songkran does not even come close to being a problem but farming is.

So songkran only uses an additional day per day of playing. That is not much and it only water consumption not what farmers use they still use far more 70% of all water compared to human use. So songkran does not even come close to being a problem but farming is.

I expect farming is a little more productive than songkran.

The reality is I would be aggravated if my water was cut off for 2 weeks after songkran because there was none left.

The reality is I would be aggravated if my water was cut off for 2 weeks after songkran because there was none left.

Your expectations are wrong.. the economic impulse songkran had from tourists and locals is far higher. By cutting of farmers it would be far more effective as cutting of songkran as farming is 70% industy and your consumption 30% (believe consumption was 10% range.. double it 20%.. while farming is still 3 times as much. So where do you as a smart person cut.. there where the biggest use is. Also the 10% of songkran is far mor economical then the farming. But hey being a songkran hater and no facts to back it up is fun.

But facts.. they are just that facts.. 70% !!!! 10% even double is 20%.. nothing compared to farming. You should read up how much extra is spend during songkran then you will see its economical too.

Your expectations are wrong.. the economic impulse songkran had from tourists and locals is far higher. By cutting of farmers it would be far more effective as cutting of songkran as farming is 70% industy and your consumption 30% (believe consumption was 10% range.. double it 20%.. while farming is still 3 times as much. So where do you as a smart person cut.. there where the biggest use is. Also the 10% of songkran is far mor economical then the farming. But hey being a songkran hater and no facts to back it up is fun.

But facts.. they are just that facts.. 70% !!!! 10% even double is 20%.. nothing compared to farming. You should read up how much extra is spend during songkran then you will see its economical too.

Well great, they can buy some water with all that money!

Or perhaps Songkran should be enjoyed on farmland.

Edited by jacko45k

Out of facts.. and you start going for one liners.. guess you don't like facts.

There is enough water if farmers use less and they should as they use far more as the normal citizens. Also songkran is a big economic boost more so as the farming (especially for the amount of water used). So I guess your out of arguments.

To recap

Farmers use 70% of the water the rest is for industry and private use (supported by an article on Ayuttaya on Thaivisa in the past months)

Songkran water use will double the use per day for private use.. even double the private use is still dwarfed by farming.

Songkran generates more income with less water as farming.

So only grumpy old men would be against Songkran and use the drought to oppose it.

Out of facts.. and you start going for one liners.. guess you don't like facts.

There is enough water if farmers use less and they should as they use far more as the normal citizens. Also songkran is a big economic boost more so as the farming (especially for the amount of water used). So I guess your out of arguments.

To recap

Farmers use 70% of the water the rest is for industry and private use (supported by an article on Ayuttaya on Thaivisa in the past months)

Songkran water use will double the use per day for private use.. even double the private use is still dwarfed by farming.

Songkran generates more income with less water as farming.

So only grumpy old men would be against Songkran and use the drought to oppose it.

On a national level I do not doubt your arguments.

But water is very much a regional issue.

I live in the Pattaya area where water is used less for farming and more for the tourism industry. No doubt Songkran brings a lot of money in that respect but if the result of a few days infantile fun is future long term water cuts in the region local tourism will suffer.

It is hard to see farming as wasted water, whereas easy to see splashing it about the streets as good conservative usage. Let us hope supplies support it. No need for condescension or insult.