National artist urges Thais not to hate Chinese tourists but to help them change

webfact

If tourists just sent their money on holiday and went elsewhere themselves the Thais would be much happier. wai2.gif

Speaking as an expat and someone who has lived in several places in the world considered tourist hot spots, I am not blaming the Thai people for this, tourists can be a pain for people that live wherever it is they visit. drunk.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This guy takes the cake. Responsible for the creation of a world class monument to bad taste, he now seeks to give advice to others about etiquette ( despite his earlier suggestions about banning Chinese tourists). The perception that Chinese tourists make little economic contribution is faulty: they do spend, they create employment.at least he's right about that.

The last earthquake spared the white hideousness, barely. Here's hoping the next one sends it tumbling for good.

Thailand needs fewer of these self-promoting, I-am, know-it-all drop kicks and their dreadful creations

Didn't I just read somewhere, that he is now charging these wonderful Chinese tourists to get into his wonderful temple? coffee1.gif Money does influence how you view tourists.

He said he didn’t understand why many Thais didn’t like the Chinese tourists merely because a minority of them caused troubles. “The Chinese are our guests. Our economy is in bad shape, so do not reprimand or hate them too much. We should teach them how to behave and do the right thing for our own benefits,” he added.

It's in bad shape because of Thai police and government authorities sir...I can see the old Thai motto remains.."take their money and kick them out" A minority of them, caused trouble? Does this guy live in another kind of Thailand?

should put up signs so the chinese dont spit in temples or in restaurants were others are eating.

saw the chinese haggling with a tuk tuk and they were quoting prices in 5 baht intervals rather then rounding off to 10 as most people do.

Edited by fey

I don't expect them to buy an attractive young short-timer in a small bar on Bangla Roadwub.png

But Miracles do happen..

So this is what you expect of "normal" tourists to do on their Thailand vacation? Have paid sex with hookers?

YES................................get real man. the problem is far too many marry them............hahahahahahaha.

Edited by Nomyai

A year ago, Ajaan Chalermchai stated that he would be building separate toilets for Chinese tourists. He said in a television interview that it was "impossible" for other tourists to use the bathrooms so he would build new ones, DPA reported. Previously, the temple had even banned Chinese tourists altogether after Chinese tour groups left the toilets in a state of disrepair. "They had defecated on the floor, urinated on the walls outside and left sanitary pads on the wall of the bathrooms," an official who requested anonymity was quoted as saying.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thai-temple-to-build-separate-toilets-for-non-chinese-visitors-after-complaints-report

Last week, while still free for Thais, he said he would begin charging admission for foreigners and apparently mainland Chinese tourists are now welcome?

I drove tours in NZ mostly Chinese and Korean, they hate each other when my bus broke down full of koreans another bus stopped to assist and take my passengers, but the other bus was full of Chinese and their tour guide would not have them on the bus.

Every time I took Chinese tours to a restuarant (owned by Chinese interests) they left with bones and food all over ther table and floor, the toilets trashed.

When ever they got a chance to smoke they tossed butts on the ground, they walk over the top of anyone in their path, they are rude and arrogant.

The koreans are much bettter behaved and never trashed restuarants or toilets.

The tour guides are all on the take and any venue that we took chinese tours to was controlled by chinese interests, I was told to detour around NZ tourist shops so they could not see them.

Same in LOS they are controlled by the tour companies and venues are pre-aranged, the Thais in the streets will get next to no benefit from Chinese tours, only the chinese Thai interests will ever benefit.

One artist will never change their mentality, as soon as they get off the planes in BK the start marching around and yelling out.

Im curious as to why only Chinese tourists?

Must be that all other nations tourists are well mannered and respectful.

Nah, don't think so!

Probably because the nouveau riche Chinese have flooded the country in recent years, and they are easily recognisable to Thais, whereas farangs all look the same.

I empathise with people who live in tourist hotspots, I grew up in a UK town that saw bank holiday trippers flood the place making life difficult for locals to do anything normal.

British chavs seem to be able to afford to travel to Thailand these days, which must have got the Spanish at the Costa del Sol and Ibiza, and with Sharm el Sheikh getting bad press the chavs need to invade somewhere else.

teach the chinese manners ??

recently i had the (dis) pleasure of showing some anglo tourists around bkk (bkk, the epicenter of education, culture and class) lets see, as paying customers we requested the band play a song and they demanded a tip "in advance" we paid the tab left our unfinished drinks

next place, very busy gogo bar where we waited for server at least 10 minutes so one person went to bar and ordered drinks directly and carried them to table. server came to bar and demanded specific tip amount 20 baht per drink.

the tip in example 1 is normal. it's how they make a buck coffee1.gif

the tip in example 2 i have no idea as i have never been in a gogobar (i kid u not), not in LOS or elsewhere. i'm too busy having a life giggle.gif

Topping is a strange thing; in some countries it's expected as it's considered to be part, or all, of the staff wages.

In the UK tips are paid for good service, if they don't provide good service they don't get a tip. On a holiday to Florida we had breakfast at a diner where the waitress was a right miserable birch, everything was too much trouble for her, so she got did all from me. If looks could kill I'd be posting this comment via a ouija board!

Understanding local customs helps. If you know that the staff get nothing but tips as pay then the best way to ensure good service is to tip well.

should put up signs so the chinese dont spit in temples or in restaurants were others are eating.

saw the chinese haggling with a tuk tuk and they were quoting prices in 5 baht intervals rather then rounding off to 10 as most people do.

That's the Chinese for you in a nutshell.

A year ago, Ajaan Chalermchai stated that he would be building separate toilets for Chinese tourists. He said in a television interview that it was "impossible" for other tourists to use the bathrooms so he would build new ones, DPA reported. Previously, the temple had even banned Chinese tourists altogether after Chinese tour groups left the toilets in a state of disrepair. "They had defecated on the floor, urinated on the walls outside and left sanitary pads on the wall of the bathrooms," an official who requested anonymity was quoted as saying.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thai-temple-to-build-separate-toilets-for-non-chinese-visitors-after-complaints-report

Last week, while still free for Thais, he said he would begin charging admission for foreigners and apparently mainland Chinese tourists are now welcome?

I drove tours in NZ mostly Chinese and Korean, they hate each other when my bus broke down full of koreans another bus stopped to assist and take my passengers, but the other bus was full of Chinese and their tour guide would not have them on the bus.

Every time I took Chinese tours to a restuarant (owned by Chinese interests) they left with bones and food all over ther table and floor, the toilets trashed.

When ever they got a chance to smoke they tossed butts on the ground, they walk over the top of anyone in their path, they are rude and arrogant.

The koreans are much bettter behaved and never trashed restuarants or toilets.

The tour guides are all on the take and any venue that we took chinese tours to was controlled by chinese interests, I was told to detour around NZ tourist shops so they could not see them.

Same in LOS they are controlled by the tour companies and venues are pre-aranged, the Thais in the streets will get next to no benefit from Chinese tours, only the chinese Thai interests will ever benefit.

One artist will never change their mentality, as soon as they get off the planes in BK the start marching around and yelling out.

Well said, once again that is the Chinese race in a nutshell.

Only thing is, they don't listen to the signs as they are too arrogant and rude.

I don't expect them to buy an attractive young short-timer in a small bar on Bangla Road:wub:

But Miracles do happen..

So this is what you expect of "normal" tourists to do on their Thailand vacation? Have paid sex with hookers?

well actually.... yes!

Sad and desperate are the 2 words that immediately come to mind.

Of course do not hate the Chinese...Yellow is Green...as in money green...so try and find some humor is their disgusting habits as you put their money in your bank account...