Gold Goes Missing From Bank Safe in Chom Thong, CCTV 'Broken'

webfact

Gold Goes Missing From Bank Safe, CCTV 'Broken'
by CityNews

cm1.jpg

CityNews – Gold deposited in a well known bank in Chom Thong was found missing when the owner returned to collect it in late December 2015. It was recently discovered that the CCTV recording devices were broken during the time the gold was deposited, leaving no evidence as to how the gold disappeared.

The missing gold was first reported in December when 69-year-old Witwatchai Udomanopwittayakul returned to the bank (name withheld) to collect his gold.

Witwatchai deposited 4 boxes of gold in safe number 64 in April 2015, weighing 881.7 grams, in the Chom Thong branch, keeping it safe while he began opening a new gold shop in Mae Hong Son. He already owns 5 gold shops in the north of Thailand.

The gold was valued at roughly one million baht.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/gold-goes-missing-bank-safe-cctv-broken/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-03-01

Yeah, this is a loophole alright as the depositors can't prove how much gold or other valuables

they have deposited in the safe and thus claim for compensations from the bank,,,, sweet situation

for the unnamed bank, why would they want to protect a bank's name that leaves it's customers with

no recourse to recover their goods I don't understand....

If this man is telling the truth and he really did deposit said gold in safe deposit box,

and it is gone when he returns to collect it,you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to

see its an inside job,especially as the CCTV was broken,you can bet the bank is NOT

going to take any responsibility .

regards Worgeordie

My opinion the bank should call in the special branch of the police and have this case resolved,this bank should be held completely responsible for this,regardless of the cameras being shut down,again this especially is the sole responsibility of the bank.As regards to whether he did or did not deposit the said amount, again its the banks responsibility. If they wanted to see every persons assets being deposited ,then its up to them to do just that,otherwise dont have that service.No good crying wolfe afterwards.

"...missing when the owner returned to collect it in late December 2015" how come it has taken two months for this to be reported?

2 months to be partially reported, they still won't report the name of which corrupt bank was responsible for stealing the gold and has such crappy security that their CCTV cams aren't working!!!

Yeah, this is a loophole alright as the depositors can't prove how much gold or other valuables

they have deposited in the safe and thus claim for compensations from the bank,,,, sweet situation

for the unnamed bank, why would they want to protect a bank's name that leaves it's customers with

Slander laws here are pretty strong and he can prove nothing. CCTV cameras usual "not working" Poor smuck was taken. You just cannot trust anyone nowdays.

I have a deposit box at a major bank (central branch) and do occasionally keep more than papers in it..

Ooooh. Big deal.

Does having a deposit box in a "central branch" of a major bank, whatever that is, make you more important or carry more VIP status than those with boxes in non-central branches?

Just in the last month at a Bangkok Bank in Udorn the BIB arrested a teller that was putting money in her own account and giving false receipts when ever people put money into their accounts..It was only when a frange question his account did they catch her.Estimated total is about 800,000 baht.The bank is paying off in 10% payments every 10 days to my friend starting on the 5th of this month "they say".

My opinion the bank should call in the special branch of the police and have this case resolved,this bank should be held completely responsible for this,regardless of the cameras being shut down,again this especially is the sole responsibility of the bank.As regards to whether he did or did not deposit the said amount, again its the banks responsibility. If they wanted to see every persons assets being deposited ,then its up to them to do just that,otherwise dont have that service.No good crying wolfe afterwards.

This is not what I wrote, what I wrote the system scrapped and put the above in its place. Sorry about that.

Just in the last month at a Bangkok Bank in Udorn the BIB arrested a teller that was putting money in her own account and giving false receipts when ever people put money into their accounts..It was only when a frange question his account did they catch her.Estimated total is about 800,000 baht.The bank is paying off in 10% payments every 10 days to my friend starting on the 5th of this month "they say".

I give up, the above is not what I printed but the system keeps jumping in the middle of the fray and seems to have its own idea.

"...missing when the owner returned to collect it in late December 2015" how come it has taken two months for this to be reported?

2 months to be partially reported, they still won't report the name of which corrupt bank was responsible for stealing the gold and has such crappy security that their CCTV cams aren't working!!!

Agreed but just to get anything reported it takes 2 months? Seems to be a lot more going on than has been released here

Slander laws here are pretty strong and he can prove nothing. CCTV cameras usual "not working" Poor smuck was taken. You just cannot trust anyone nowdays.

Surely you can say the bank's name as it is factual that the gold was stolen. Regardless of who took it? ....

I have a deposit box at a major bank (central branch) and do occasionally keep more than papers in it..

Ooooh. Big deal.

Does having a deposit box in a "central branch" of a major bank, whatever that is, make you more important or carry more VIP status than those with boxes in non-central branches?

TWONK !!

I mean that by having a box in a major branch, you would hope the vault security is a bit tighter than some of the satellite branches, with 3 or 4 staff.. That vault access is tighter controlled and monitored..

Surely you can say the bank's name as it is factual that the gold was stolen. Regardless of who took it? ....

In Thailand defamation and slander do not need to be proven to be true, they only need to show that the statement caused damage to the reputation of, even if true.

Yes here the truth can be a crime.

If you really think about what proof is there that he actually placed any gold in the safe deposit? I am sure he did but we only really have his word he did and that it was as much as he said. Having gold shops I would have thought the figure he states is light but that is just my opinion.

You know: This is scary if someone is contemplating on moving assets to a bank "safe" deposit box to make preparations on living in Thailand. I was thinking about using this strategy in the future. That idea just hit a land mine.