Trial of ex-Nazi prison camp medic adjourned amid questions about his health

webfact

Trial of ex-Nazi prison camp medic adjourned amid questions about his health
By Seamus Kearney

606x341_325687.jpg

BERLIN: -- The trial of a 95-year-old former Nazi prison camp medic has been adjourned for two weeks amid debate about whether he is well enough to appear in court.

Hubert Zafke served in the Auschwitz death camp and is accused of being an accomplice to the murder of thousands of prisoners.

The accused was responsible for treating SS members in the camp but he denies that he knew about the mass killing of inmates.

The defence lawyer, Peter Michael Diestel, has criticised the holding of the trial, accusing the German justice system of using recent trials to make up for the embarrassment of failing to achieve justice over the Holocaust in the past.

Prosecutors say they have doubts about what they call the “self-assessment” of Zafke’s state of health and want another expert opinion.

The 95-year-old is alleged to have worked along the path where prisoners were led to their deaths in the gas chambers.

Prosecutors say he witnessed the stream of inmates going into the chambers and not returning and must have been aware of the constant smoke that was produced.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-03-01

IMO looking at the photos I would not imagined him to be very sympathetic or empathetic but realistically what could he have done to prevent these atrocities ?

"... is accused of being an accomplice to the murder of thousands of prisoners." What is implied by being called an accomplice if he had to follow orders and had no influence at all ?

Find and prosecute those directly responsible for these horrific acts, if possible, but it is now time to stop desperately looking for insignificant scapegoats.

BTW- my father, his brother and their 2 cousins all volunteered and fought for the Allies. I believe they would agree with my statement above.

He was actually in Auschwitz between August and September 1944.

He's accused of participating in the Holocaust for 3681 victims from 14 transports to the concentration camp.

He served as a medic for the SS-staff only.