Thai Police to tackle 10 traffic offences seriously to ease traffic congestions at tourist spots

webfact

All good "offenses" to enforce.

There's some harley riding idiot that rides by our condo every night, he just has to rap through gears and then compression brake... what a clown. Fine anyone riding a harley with straight pipes, they are a menace.

To ease traffic congestion, the parking at restricted zones and any parking along a roadway will solve a lot of that.

Driving on footpaths helps to ease traffic smile.png

Edited by Nowisee

So, tourist areas tend to get traffic congestion during tourist season,,, wow!

Enforcing these laws will do absolutely nothing to ease congestion, not a thing. All of these measures are the law anyway, enforcement of these laws should be all year round and they are not about controlling traffic congestion they are about improving road safety.

if you want to tackle congestion then tackle congestion. Pedestrianize narrow streets and create off site parking areas with a park and ride scheme for example. That would reduce the number of individual vehicles, and allow a greater number of people to walk through the streets of these historic sites.

i am not an expert but it is obvious to me that the enforcement they are proposing has more to do with collecting cash then reducing congestion.

Chiang Mai recently hosted its annual flower festival in the old city, with activities centered at the SW corner of the moat. Traffic was blocked and re-routed through narrow streets in the neighborhood, and of course it was congested and barely moving.

Chiang Mai has the Royal Botanic Garden near Hang Dong and a modern convention center on the canal road north of the city on the way to Mae Rim. Removing the flower festival to either of those locations would do a lot to alleviate traffic congestion in the city. I hope the organizers do that next year.

This applies to the normal population.
Except from tackling are here:
- all high ranking police officers on duty and off duty.
- all high ranking army officers on duty and off duty.
- all politicians and members of parliament.
- all celebrities any couleur
- all sons and daughters of wealthy dynasties from the beverage, food and housing industry.
- all sons and daughters of influential, high-ranking officials from the state apparatus.

In the case of a traffic offense or accident, the magic phrase goes:
“You know who I am?” or “You know who my father is?”

Here are my suggestions how to improve traffic flows...

No parking means NO PARKING of any kind of vehicles,

Get all the vendors and their carts of the roads and footpath to designated areas for trading,

Make narrow roads one way,

Don't allow huge tourist busses enter small Sois and lanes and park there,

Station full time police person to enforce the traffic laws, and not just for show,

Hefty fines to all violators and matter how ' poor ' they're, paid in the police station

and hold their ID cards until they pay,

I can go on and on, but start with above and that'll be a good start.....

Agree with all your suggestions, except the penultimate one. If you hold their ID or DL, they will simply continue to drive without. Better seize their vehicles until they pay, and charge them parking fines on top!

Education!, Education!, Education!

It does no good to "strictly enforce" traffic laws alone, the public must be educated as to what the laws are and why they are necessary.

I would suggest the use of *cartoons*, all Thais and farangs like cartoons and TV, so use cartoons on TV as teaching tools.

Then strictly the laws on anyone too dumb to lean from a cartoon.