Grow Tomato problem

Farangdanny

Yes as said ,its called Blossom end rot .Look it up but i think irregular watering can bring it on .Tomatoes need to be watered at least once and better twice daily when the fruit begins to form ,onward .Its caused by a lack of Calcium and the plant needs plenty of water to help in Calcium absorption .

The following is from the RHA (ENGLAND )

>>Blossom end rot is caused by lack of calcium in the fruits. Calcium deficiency reduces cell membrane permeability and this leads to swelling of the cells followed by leakage and destruction of the membrane structure. There is also a reduction in growth of new cells. This causes the characteristic dark, sunken areas.

It is very rare for soils, growing bags or potting media to actually lack calcium. There is almost always plenty in the soil and indeed within the plant. However for calcium to reach the parts of the plant that are furthest from the roots there needs to be a good flow of water through the plant. The fruits are distant from the roots and do not compete as well as the leaves for calcium, leading to a local lack of calcium at the ends of the fruit.

Plants grown with limited root space (e.g. in pots or growing bags) are most at risk of irregular water supply leading to local calcium deficiency in the fruits. Plants in border soil, whether outdoors or in the greenhouse, are less likely to be affected.

A similar problem can arise if fertiliser is added to dry soil around plants, because the concentrated nutrients in the soil water will restrict water uptake by the plant. Additionally, some fertiliser ingredients - ammonium salts for example - compete with calcium for access to the plant roots, further exacerbating the calcium deficiency.

Very high air humidity can also limit water uptake by plant roots, so good daytime ventilation of greenhouses is helpful.

Control

There is nothing you can do to save fruits once they have blossom end rot, but you can prevent subsequent fruits from being affected by the following:

• The soil or potting compost should be kept consistently moist throughout the growing season and must never be allowed to dry out. During hot periods it may need watering two or more times a day. It is better to water twice a day than once with a double volume. Growing bag compost is very difficult to moisten evenly and thoroughly once it has dried out
  • Automatic watering systems, use of larger containers, or growing in border soil are all potential solutions where frequent watering is not possible. Covering the soil or potting compost with mulch will also help to conserve moisture around plant roots
  • Applying liquid fertiliser may help, but this must only be applied to moist soil, and following the manufacturer's recommendations
  • Applying foliar sprays of calcium salts such as calcium nitrate are not effective because calcium is not readily absorbed by the fruits and transport from leaves to fruit is poor. The nitrate in this fertiliser can also promote lush growth that leaves less calcium available for the fruits<<
Edited by anto

B.T.W ,There is a great Agricultural show at the moment at Maejoe University ,where you can see really superb tomatoes Plants with trusses full of big juicy fruit .Runs till next Sunday the 6 th i think .

Blossom end rot - yes... and yes, mainly caused by irregular watering.

Get rid of those plants - they'll never be any good - and replant in a different position. I grow of all sizes tomatoes very successfully and I would NEVER water as much as as advised in a previous post. I DEEP water - ie. plenty of it, but only at ground level, keeping the leaves dry as much as possible (to facilitate this and to prevent soil borne diseases, I cut off any branches near the ground) and only water usually once a week, at the most, twice if its really hot and dry - but REGULARLY. More water than this is only an invitation to tropical diseases.

Also, particularly if you are inexperienced with growing toms in the tropics, start of with a disease resistant variety (DRV) eg. Tropic or Moneymaker - they are medium sized and dead easy to grow. If you want a larger variety try Atkinson (All available on line from Baker Creek Rare Seeds in the US)

Cool topic. I am interested in growing some tomatoes. I did some preliminary research, on TV actually, and what I read seemed to suggest it wasn't worth trying to grow tomatoes here except in the cool season. I'm going to check out that show at Maejo, thanks for the tip.

Is it possible to grow the Beefsteak type? Wow, used to eat those like an apple straight out of the garden. A sprinkle of salt didn't hurt, either. Yum!

Edited by bamboozled

>>Is it possible to grow the Beefsteak type? <<.........I grow a few plants here in a suburb of Chiang Mai every year .I start them off in the cool season .(sow the seed ) .I tried growing the beefsteak type last year ,but they were a total failure .Its still possible a different variety of Beefsteak could work .No harm in giving it a try .

Ive been enjoying a beefsteak variety out here in Mae Rim the last few weeks. I dont grow them but found them in the Mae Rim plaza Tuseday market. These a big boy tomatoes.... one slice will cover a slice of bread/toast easily.

Very juicy with great taste and lots of 'meat'. Going rate is between 20-30 baht per kilo which equates to about 5 tomatoes. They keep well too, my first lot lasted a week easily....till I ate them all.

So someone must be growing them somewhere.

my wife is attempting to grow tomatoes from seeds in containers. Any chance of success

I grow them in containers /pots with good well drained soil .I buy bags of top soil and mix with coconut fibre to give drainage ,as my garden soil is very poor .Its important to water daily ,and twice daily even better .