Taxpayer indentification number, how to obtain this?

Hello guys

My colleague got an offer to do some part time jobs during the next month just for a couple of days with a Govt agency,

the payment amount will be paid to him upon the completion of his duty jobs,

they asked him to bring the following items:

(1) A copy of your ID (passport),

(2) your 13-digits taxpayer identification number.

3% of the payment with be withhold for tax.

He was asking me about tax ID, how to obtain it? where to go?

what are the documents to be prepared to obtain this tax ID? what are the benefits of this later on?

Any sharing ideas, experiences in this matter will be highly appreciated,

In 1998 I got mine at my District Office in Bangkok. (I mean municipal District Office, not Revenue Dept, district office), though it would surprise me if they were not also available at the latter. No guarantee of English speaking staff at these places; if you don't speak much Thai, go with someone who does.

In 1998 I got mine at my District Office in Bangkok. (I mean municipal District Office, not Revenue Dept, district office), though it would surprise me if they were not also available at the latter. No guarantee of English speaking staff at these places; if you don't speak much Thai, go with someone who does.

the colleague who asked me about this tax ID matter is married with Thai lady, is not a problem about Thai speaking,

just need to give him some idea where to get it?what papers he needs to prepare, etc,,

Thanks.

"A taxpayer identification number is issued by the Revenue Department and comprises 10 digits."

Details at the Revenue Department website - http://www.rd.go.th/publish/21987.0.html

Thanks for this link Tywais, read this article:

(3) An individual who became a VAT or SBT registrant before 1 October 2003A foreigner who is present in Thailand for one period not exceeding 14 days and in total not exceeding in the aggregate 90 days within a tax year does not need to apply for TIN.

seems (as I guess) he doesn't need to apply for this so-called tax ID number, as long as he will do just 2 days jobs,

isn't it?

the colleague who asked me about this tax ID matter is married with Thai lady, is not a problem about Thai speaking,

just need to give him some idea where to get it?what papers he needs to prepare, etc,,

Thanks.

Can get it at his local tax revenue office. Needs copies of PP and residence address.