Question about Chinese and property ownership in Thailand

watgate

There definitely are a lot of properties being bought by Chinese. Some are long tern lease and some are probably by company purchase.

And I assume they are allowed to buy condos under the same rules as any other foreigner?

What reason would there be for them not being able to buy a condo? Maybe you are new to Chiang Mai and didn't realize they already are buying them here.

I personally know 2 guest houses in Chiang Mai who are entirely rented out to Chinese , one for for 30 years....!!!

regards.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Property ownership by foreigners in this country can be a vexed question because Thai laws regarding it are complex and confusing.

For anyone who values their money or their sanity it is best to avoid this minefield strewn with banana peels.

Long-term family relationships are essential for many things in Thailand. Having trusted relatives front for you is the name of the game. This applies especially to land ownership issues.

It can't be said often enough that family means everything here.

Your position in the family defines who you are.

Without one you are nobody... farang tao-nahn eng..

It's quite obvious that to mercenary Thais, many farangs are low-hanging-fruit.

They come here as refugees from their own countries which have - for the most part - gone to the dogs.

They are looking for love and a new life that, in many cases, includes home ownership.

They came here too late in life... set in their ways and too late to adapt or assimilate in any meaningful ways. Too old to master the language or be anything other than a cash-cow for some greedy woman and her scheming relatives.

Forget about property ownership if you don't have roots here that go very deep.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but I am not a refugee and can go home whenever I like and I have been married for 34 years and am not looking for any women, greedy or otherwise. If I don't master the Language it's because I just got comfortable enough speaking it reasonably well, nobody is ever too old to learn and nobody has to settle for being a cash cow. On the other hand I am sorry that you have such a negative viewpoint and hope that you heal.

You didn't pop my bubble, Lee.

I stand by my post. The observations and considered opinions are based on an adult lifetime - almost 40 years - of living here and watching the changing farang demographic.

From the raffish types of the 1970s to the hordes of colorless retirees who have come down on Chiang Mai in recent years, the scene has never been dull.

The peevish tone of your reply suggests that I may have hit a nerve, or that the shoe fit a little too well.

I try not to be doctrinaire, and usually qualify my conclusions with many or most.

If you don't consider yourself profiled in the post, then why get testy?

Excellent post,....and reply,...Toopoopedtopop...

regards

I don't believe there are special rules for Chinese. But well off mainlanders are desperate to invest their money abroad, and are doing so worldwide, because they don't trust the Chinese economy or government. This probably gives them a higher appetite for risk.

In addition, there is a policy of Beijing on the financial intervention, and a oficial and not oficial supported privat person and company.

There is also the concept of military defense ring around China. Resource concept, transport, domination in the region. markets for exports.
The Chinese administration has spared and has the money to bribe officials in other countries.
Edited by ardokano

My wife is Thai/Chinese from Chiang Rai way. In a lot of that area there are no registered land titles but land that is nominally held by one person is sold to another with written agreement and the Land Office is not involved at all. This is a parallel system used by Chinese on many issues and stays in practice through tradition, respect, and clan ties.

Turning now to Chinese buying land in CM. my wife is on three land titles as owner for Chinese. The last one is 8 Rai in Borsang that is now having a 6 million baht 7 bedroom house built on it. House construction, electricity, is all in my wife's name.

Not supporting or condoning this in any way and have had more than a few arguments with wife about it. We are currently between houses ourselves and there is no way I will buy another place in wife's name while she has title over the other places (for a variety of reasons)......but the clan family pressure on her is so strong given at she has Thai citizenship/ID card. Once one had her on the title word seemed to spread. She is by no means alone in doing this. Two of her Chinese/Thai freinds from CR are doing same. I don't know any Thai/Chinese males that have this arrangement (but there may be). Maybe a throwback to daughters looking after parents with Chinese as sons start new mini patriarchals themselves.

Yes this sounds like a more probable scenario for the Chinese to get around things. There is always a way, and this system uses Chinese only , not Thais, so would be trusted.

There are many Thai/Chinese, many speak Mandarin and many have roots back to China. Thai/Chinese, on average, tend to be more business orientated and have proportionally higher wealth than Thais. Chinese money will keep flowing in with land and houses nominally in the name of trusted Thai/Chinese.

I'm not sure how much this will benefit Thailand as much of the profits will continue to be remitted back to China. Similarly, most Chinese tourists book group tours in Thailand using Chinese owned buses, restaurants and hotels in Thailand. According to TAT, they are big spenders, but I suspect most of the money ends up back in China.

Not realy

Have Chinese mainland, Have real Chines( for me) in Twaiwan and steel have part family in mainland.

Hav Hongkones, and even have Thailand chines.

And all it litle different and "way money" different too.

even if maindland Chines Clans have differend way accomulate money and not all go to China right Now.. in China Big bouble... so some have take care about this is.

My wife is Thai/Chinese from Chiang Rai way. In a lot of that area there are no registered land titles but land that is nominally held by one person is sold to another with written agreement and the Land Office is not involved at all. This is a parallel system used by Chinese on many issues and stays in practice through tradition, respect, and clan ties.

Turning now to Chinese buying land in CM. my wife is on three land titles as owner for Chinese. The last one is 8 Rai in Borsang that is now having a 6 million baht 7 bedroom house built on it. House construction, electricity, is all in my wife's name.

Not supporting or condoning this in any way and have had more than a few arguments with wife about it. We are currently between houses ourselves and there is no way I will buy another place in wife's name while she has title over the other places (for a variety of reasons)......but the clan family pressure on her is so strong given at she has Thai citizenship/ID card. Once one had her on the title word seemed to spread. She is by no means alone in doing this. Two of her Chinese/Thai freinds from CR are doing same. I don't know any Thai/Chinese males that have this arrangement (but there may be). Maybe a throwback to daughters looking after parents with Chinese as sons start new mini patriarchals themselves.

Ask She about Gongchandao... Thaiwans and some another thinks..

My great-grandfather German. He became an officer in the Russian Tsar in the Russian army. He was wounded several times in battles against the German army. I had a lot of awards. And die as a Russian officer murdered " russian" (i mean ethnic not as nationality) terrorists-kommunist.

So Chinese it be different. Some wish power Gungo.. but not thinks now it be real Gungo.. Some Thinks now its Gungo.

And some its be ethnic Chines and ofcouse important Clans thinks and next can be home country as Thailand.whistling.gif

It is a cliche but I finally met one of these guys. Aussie who told me it was legal for him to drive a Motorbike up to

150cc on Austrialian DL with no International Driving Permit, and that he was ex- SAScheesy.gif .

Probably the same bloke spouting this rubbish.

Did he also offer to sell you the Sydney harbour bridge or the opera house? In case your not aware ex-SAS are allowed to sell these two items.

Ask She about Gongchandao... Thaiwans and some another thinks..

My great-grandfather German. He became an officer in the Russian Tsar in the Russian army. He was wounded several times in battles against the German army. I had a lot of awards. And die as a Russian officer murdered " russian" (i mean ethnic not as nationality) terrorists-kommunist.

So Chinese it be different. Some wish power Gungo.. but not thinks now it be real Gungo.. Some Thinks now its Gungo.

And some its be ethnic Chines and ofcouse important Clans thinks and next can be home country as Thailand.whistling.gif

You are in all probability an intelligent person with an interesting background, but for God's sake man, get some remedial education in the English language.

Property ownership by foreigners in this country can be a vexed question because Thai laws regarding it are complex and confusing.

For anyone who values their money or their sanity it is best to avoid this minefield strewn with banana peels.

Long-term family relationships are essential for many things in Thailand. Having trusted relatives front for you is the name of the game. This applies especially to land ownership issues.

They come here as refugees from their own countries which have - for the most part - gone to the dogs.

They are looking for love and a new life that, in many cases, includes home ownership.

They came here too late in life... set in their ways and too late to adapt or assimilate in any meaningful ways. Too old to master the language or be anything other than a cash-cow for some greedy woman and her scheming relatives.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but I am not a refugee and can go home whenever I like and I have been married for 34 years and am not looking for any women, greedy or otherwise. If I don't master the Language it's because I just got comfortable enough speaking it reasonably well, nobody is ever too old to learn and nobody has to settle for being a cash cow. On the other hand I am sorry that you have such a negative viewpoint and hope that you heal.

I stand by my post. The observations and considered opinions are based on an adult lifetime - almost 40 years - of living here and watching the changing farang demographic.

From the raffish types of the 1970s to the hordes of colorless retirees who have come down on Chiang Mai in recent years, the scene has never been dull.

The peevish tone of your reply suggests that I may have hit a nerve, or that the shoe fit a little too well.

I try not to be doctrinaire, and usually qualify my conclusions with many or most.

The shoe doesn't fit at all. And I don't consider my reply testy...and I was just stating facts, not observations.

The shoe doesn't fit at all. And I don't consider my reply testy...and I was just stating facts, not observations.

Glad to hear that.

Stay cool, bro.

It's the only way to get along here.

Balderdash from down under.

The Thais aren't going to give property rights to anybody... anytime soon.

Indeed.

Why should they?

Governments should act in the interests of their own citizens.

Policies like that are conspicuously absent in so many western countries where crooks, clowns, and incompetents rule the roost.

True.

Obviously the Thais aren't going to give property rights to over a billion Chinese. That is EXACTLY the reason land can't be purchased by foreigners to PREVENT Chinese from owning all the land. "Farang" are small fry - as much as many of us like to complain about discrimination here, these laws weren't enacted to discriminate against a small number of us, but rather, to stop the masses only a few hundred km north of Chiang Rai from coming down and buying up everything.

Like some "farangs", Chinese are "buying" land using Thai proxies, but this isn't legal.

Owning a house but NOT the land underneath it is legal for foreigners anyway.

I have started to use a different spelling for Farangs. I don't like the French spelling and think that Feelongs would be a more appropriate way. After all, the Thais do not use the R letter and we are referred to as falangs. Can you tell me who is correct. Outside of Asia Thais call everyone falangs or Khaeg. Notice they never use Thainess and call us Khun Falang! They were kind enough to name a white fruit Falang. My comments are not meant to create a lot of agreement or disagreement. I accept the way things are do not wish to change Thainess.

well at least they dont all u kanak....cretin....bastard or similair ...very common words for foreigners in europe....

I have started to use a different spelling for Farangs. I don't like the French spelling and think that Feelongs would be a more appropriate way. After all, the Thais do not use the R letter and we are referred to as falangs. Can you tell me who is correct. Outside of Asia Thais call everyone falangs or Khaeg. Notice they never use Thainess and call us Khun Falang! They were kind enough to name a white fruit Falang. My comments are not meant to create a lot of agreement or disagreement. I accept the way things are do not wish to change Thainess.

French spelling

gigglem.gif

Chinese Proverb: On sees the crocodiles back,but enters the crocodile through the stomach.

The free tourist visa has opened the door......this is only the beginning, it will be interesting to see how far this wave flows throug Thailand over the next 10yrs.

French spelling

gigglem.gif

The official Royal Thai transliteration is 'farang' - and that's definitive.

Donald - I'm sorry, but just about everything you state is incorrect. Thais do indeed use the letter 'r', 'falang' is just lazy speak. It's always written in Thai with an 'r' - I assume you are unfamiliar with the Thai alphabet.

The association of Westerners with guava (farang) may be because we first brought the fruit to Thailand - compare asparagus as 'farang bamboo' and even chewing gum as 'farang betel nut'. The use of the term farang (and variants thereof) throughout Southeast Asia and even parts of South India predate the introduction of the guava by at least 800 years, and is originally derived from the Arabic word for Westerner or 'Frank' - feringhee.

Khaek ('guest') refers exclusively to people of South Asian and Middle Eastern origin.

Edited by dru2

Interesting topic, if you take a drive along the beach front road from Dolphin Bay, you will see quite a number of huge plots that are totally fenced round by advertising hoardings with all the writing in Chinese.

The Chinese are buying land. Not sure how, but they are buying it. Actual land.

Can't speak for the rest of the country, but in Chiang Mai they are buying condos like it's a fire sale.

Thailand wanted them, she got them. And being the wh*re Thailand is, she is on her knees servicing the Chinese at the moment, and isn't coming up for air any time soon.

Can't speak for the rest of the country, but in Chiang Mai they are buying condos like it's a fire sale.

Thailand wanted them, she got them. And being the wh*re Thailand is, she is on her knees servicing the Chinese at the moment, and isn't coming up for air any time soon.

I mentioned it previously, the same law applies for PRC citizens as for foreigners from other countries. The same workarounds as for other foreigners are also available for Chinese, i.e. buy through a company, do a lease, usufruct etc.

Hope this helps. As for your other sentiments, I think it helps the Thai economy to have FDI from China.

I mentioned it previously, the same law applies for PRC citizens as for foreigners from other countries. The same workarounds as for other foreigners are also available for Chinese, i.e. buy through a company, do a lease, usufruct etc.

Hope this helps. As for your other sentiments, I think it helps the Thai economy to have FDI from China.

these Chinese will all be punished yada yada their nominees will be sentenced to years of hard labour bla-bla... Falungs, Ferongs, Furlang and Feelongs cannot own land in Thailand yakety-yak!

Chines buy all as farang. Lishold , open company etc.

Now preference(oficial) can get only US company.

these Chinese will all be punished yada yada their nominees will be sentenced to years of hard labour bla-bla... Falungs, Ferongs, Furlang and Feelongs cannot own land in Thailand yakety-yak!

Its not realy true. I Pattay and Bangkok can. If invest 4000k and some anotger thinks.

;)

Edited by ardokano

I was always told the Amity company (100% usa owned) cannot own land.. One of the restrictions on that company structure ??

Remember in the 80's it was the Japanese who were going to own everything and take over the world. A lot of hype was spouted about how companies and employees needed to copy the japanese ways. Group exercises before the work day began, japanese management styles etc.

China is the big thing now and if a lot are cashed up and investing abroad they operate under same laws of economics as everyone else. Not everything they invest in will make money. Many chinese will get their fingers burnt in Thailand and the rest of the world.

Agree. None of the above scenarios constitute "owning" land - "buying" maybe... And...most/some are illegal or subject to seizure by the government.

Buying condos "like it's a fire sale." Rubbish. Buying some...yes; of course.

Edited by elektrified

I was always told the Amity company (100% usa owned) cannot own land.. One of the restrictions on that company structure ??

I mean In theory can

Under:

Section 27 of the Investment Promotion Act

Section 44 of the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act

Section 65 of the Petroleum Act.

I mean for US "guys" before have some ground laws ,not same as for another

The Chinese are extremely enterprising and unlike some recent expats they also have a high risk appetite

Within the boundaries of the laws, there are many badly written ones and I can assure you the Chinese have found a way around it

I was recently at Q House Elegance which is opposite Promenada Mall and there is one street where all of the doors are adorned with Chinese decorations and words

The agent tells us in the moobaan this is nicknamed China town as all are owned by the Chinese under company / investment entity

And before the cheap shots start to fly , these houses were all in the region of 25 million and upwards and in the car porches are all sorts of cars that would not be driven by those not watered by money

The Chinese are drawn here to the good weather , they can survive the one month of burning (compared to smog in Beijing) and they are eager to jump start businesses here which helps them get around the boredom

Edited by LawrenceChee