refused flight

I cleared a very big overstay and flew to Laos last month - I had no problems getting in or getting a SETV from Vientiane. I did have a return flight booked and flew with Bangkok Airways - they didn't check my visa (or lack of visa at check-in). Since getting back I am now on a non-b visa and had no problems getting this at immigration in Bangkok.

I think the airline were just covering their arse, and there is no official announcement from Lao immigration to say they won't let overstayers in. Book with another airline and get a return ticket to Bangkok, also book another ticket out of Thailand for a month later, just in case.

Now is the time to clear your overstay and then stay legal. There seems to be a grace period with immigration to get people cleared, as I had no problems or questioning at the airport. The immigration officers just did the paperwork and let me through, they were very polite and helpful. Coming back I was taken over to a more senior officer, but he didn't say anything and stamped me in after checking everything on the computer. After March 20th - I would say you will be <deleted>...

Opinions from those on the board with good instincts ...

Is it possible that Thailand is quietly informing neighboring countries that they will be stricter in future about allowing those with long overstays back into Thailand from neighboring countries? That is, they may not actually be blacklisted, but their entries will be much more closely scrutinized unless they are coming from their home countries?

That would explain the new policy by Laos, and could be a precursor to similar moves by other countries. Speculation, of course. Opinions?

I think it's very possible.

Also, as people are going to get banned it is very likely that Laos and other countries will not want those long term overstayers living in their country whilst serving the ban. It is feasible that those banned get forced to fly back to their home country as they would be if deported. After all as the person has demonstrated complete disrespect for Thai immigration law there is a high chance they will do the same in a neighbouring country.

Is it possible that Thailand is quietly informing neighboring countries that they will be stricter in future about allowing those with long overstays back into Thailand from neighboring countries? That is, they may not actually be blacklisted, but their entries will be much more closely scrutinized unless they are coming from their home countries?

That would explain the new policy by Laos, and could be a precursor to similar moves by other countries. Speculation, of course. Opinions?

Also, as people are going to get banned it is very likely that Laos and other countries will not want those long term overstayers living in their country whilst serving the ban. It is feasible that those banned get forced to fly back to their home country as they would be if deported. After all as the person has demonstrated complete disrespect for Thai immigration law there is a high chance they will do the same in a neighbouring country.

He got into Laos via a land border so there goes your theory - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/900333-update-on-clearing-big-overstay/

I really can't see neighboring countries caring about overstayers. Airlines, sure, as they don't want to deal with any problems that might come up. But neighboring countries have never cared in the past.

He got into Laos via a land border so there goes your theory - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/900333-update-on-clearing-big-overstay/

I really can't see neighboring countries caring about overstayers. Airlines, sure, as they don't want to deal with any problems that might come up. But neighboring countries have never cared in the past.

Did I say he wouldn't get in to Laos?

I was referring to the future. No one has been banned yet so my theory is still intact. As for your latest 'fix' that was quickly kicked into touch based on the email from the airline.

You don't think Thailand cares about overstayers, even though they introducing the bans, so of course you won't think other countries will either. Neighbouring countries haven't had the prospect of being a haven for those banned from Thailand until now, so you might want to wait and see what happens. I believe that there is more yet in store for overstayers.

• Like 1