I'm fed up with Thai food! Anyone else?

PT4

• 2 weeks later...

Love it, so, no and it's a huge part of my visits to Thailand

I can eat street food all day. Never really have any issues and eat all kinds. Some of you guys just can't stomach it, which is fine. Enjoy your lasagne*

* I like lasagne too but not way I am eating it in Thailand

last time I ate thai food was at the beach on the way back from a visa run to cambodia (price in cambodia - $3 for barracuda with french fries and salad $5 for red snapper with same - 17b a glass of draught beer, one place even 8b - total including 5 beers 375b)

I had a thai girl with me, so of course she wanted to eat thai food... I thought oh no, thai food... i'll just order some fried rice

fried rice with crab, came out luke warm, I sent it back, came back same temperature

some kind of deep fried fish... oh my god, what the hell have they done to this fish? just a crispy mess - not even sure what kind of fish it was, but i'm betting some crappy fresh water farmed fish - not like the bbq snapper or barracuda we had night before

som tam - was actually ok

total including big bottle of water (didn't request a big one, it just arrived on the table, tissue paper! (they brought a roll for us so that was added to the bill) and a bucket of ice (again not requested) over 500b

My reflux has gotten much worse in Thailand.

​.

​Yes, indeed, I forgot to mention reflux.

What do you do to manage it ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One wonders why PT4 came to live here?

When viewing his posts and topics etc, he seems to be at odds with life here and none to complimentary about the locals and the lifestyle in general...

I've been here nearly a month now (sex tourist), the only Thai food I've had is a portion of sticky rice with a fried fish.

He's probably here for the same reason as me. Next month England, the month after probably Spain (or maybe France).

Have to disagree with the OP on one point though, Mainland Vintage cheese is the one!

In my fridge, German bread, pizza dough, Mainland Vintage cheese, roast chicken, Monteray Farm Mozzarella, frozen french fries. Tiger Beer, that counts as Thai.

Edited by BritManToo

I do not understand why it is so hard, seemingly anywhere in the world, not just Thailand, to get something even remotely close to Tim Tams????

Because nobody else is interested in them.

They are awesome, dark chocolate tim tams mmmmmmmmmmmm

3 of those sugar - bombs contain enough energy to power a ozzy construction worker through a whole day.

they are one of the reasons why there are so many fat people in australia.

Funny part is a friend, back in kansas...drives 50 miles to go to a Thai Restaurant. He says it is fantastic, and pays fifty bucks for two people. He told me it is his favorite food in the world. I am thinking they are serving a "fusion" type of food...perhaps not the spice, boiled out crap (with low grade meat/ingredients)..that they serve at most of the cheaper places here in Thailand.

Nobody can prepare a decent dish for forty baht, and have it compare internationally.

my gf can prepare a fresh som tam (based on papaya or mango or cucumber or carrots) for a fraction of that.

she just walks into our garden, picks what she needs, adds a bit of nam pra and - bingo - there you are.

and what dish would you compare fresh som tam with 'internationally'?

if i would not like thai food i would not live here.

Funny part is a friend, back in kansas...drives 50 miles to go to a Thai Restaurant. He says it is fantastic, and pays fifty bucks for two people. He told me it is his favorite food in the world. I am thinking they are serving a "fusion" type of food...perhaps not the spice, boiled out crap (with low grade meat/ingredients)..that they serve at most of the cheaper places here in Thailand.

Nobody can prepare a decent dish for forty baht, and have it compare internationally.

my gf can prepare a fresh som tam (based on papaya or mango or cucumber or carrots) for a fraction of that.

she just walks into our garden, picks what she needs, adds a bit of nam pra and - bingo - there you are.

som tam is not a dish. period!

1. In the UK the joke is that all food served in Thai Restaurants is mass produced in a factory in Milton Keynes and distributed nationwide. Kaeng Keaw Wan 500Baht!

2.. There is great Thai food. Can be found in recherche restaurants in BKK. See Thompsons book Thai food too...but can you find it?

3. I think the rest is just monotonous/boring. If Thais want to eat Noodles, Yen Ta Fo, Kao Man Gai, Kao Pat, Kao Ka Moo, Fried Fish and gorge on Moo Krata everyday up to them. Not my idea of a good diet

4. I think there is little discernment. If you watch people at the lunch time trough it does not matter what they order. They mix the whole lot together so the separate tastes and flavours are lost, pour a dose of fish sauce on it and 2 tablespoons of sugar + more chili and a spoon of MSG

Anyway white rice is not very good for you

Edited by laolover88

The OP mentioned Arnotts Biscuits, Australia

Arnotts Tim Tams...I do not understand why it is so hard, seemingly anywhere in the world, not just Thailand, to get something even remotely close to Tim Tams????

Even in the US, world capital of junk food, theres nothing

There is always a pack of two of Tim Tams in my carry on.

They brought out Limited Edition Pina Colada Tim Tams a couple months back, OMG mouth orgasm

I buy Tim Tams at foodland.

​.

I get my sister in law ship me rennies from down under. I do however blame the heartburn on copious amounts of alcohol rather than Thai food

​.

I get my sister in law ship me rennies from down under. I do however blame the heartburn on copious amounts of alcohol rather than Thai food
had a friend who died of heartburn while in thailand, still can't believe gav is gon..

I'm not sure sticks and twigs really compete on the international level.

No...... find western food bland and tasteless now a day.

only last week fancied something different, had baked beans on toast... revolting but managed to eat it with a load of dried chilly flakes on them..

Yep, burned out on thai street/market food and about 80% of the thai restaurants.
They just don't care about quality and the cleanliness is poor.

When I can, I buy organic/pesticide free veggies/fruit and chicken... I do enjoy cooking at home so much more than eating out.

As someone else mentioned. I am ok with going out to a good quality thai place and eating good food... but there are not too many.

Some of the farang owned/operated places are pretty decent.

One place I will never skimp on saving money, good quality food and ingredients.

Edited by Nowisee

Retirement is a wonderful time to learn all the thing I took for granted that my ex wife made.

So, you miss her
No, just the food, exactly the same as me.

And so easy to make myself, without all the baggage I had before.

Since you mentioned in the earlier post that you are here as a sex tourist, perhaps all you wanted from your ex was for her to cook and provide sex without any attachment, love, emotions, children, etc (baggage, as you call it).