Essential Packing For Thais

GuestHouse

I have yet to get my fiancee out of Thailand. But already the questions are pouring in about what we have and do not have in the US. But she has a good head so I don't think a few things other than a few spices (if allowed) will be comming with us. But her grandparents ran a day care for american families, so she grew up around Americans and American food, so she adjusts easily :o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one here who's heard more than enough of Donz droning on about his 'Hi So' g/f

Let Me Remind You All

The purpose of the of this post was to discuss the 'baggage Thais take with them when traveling overseas

The purpose was not to discuss “The 'Baggage Donz carries around (in the form of a huge chip on his shoulder)" _ And please, Donz, I AM NOT referring to your g/f when I say 'Baggage'.

Listen up.

I had the good fortune to study at one of the two top universities in Britain (I would argue the world), people I got pissed with (when we should have been studying) were direct decedents of the people who's names filled the history books I read at school... I am guessing, but I am not insisting, they might claim to be 'Hi So'.

I don't give a rats arse about claims that some Farang’s claims that his Thai bint is 'Hi So'

A) Because most Farangs haven't got a <deleted> clue when it comes to judging the "Class" of Thais'.

:D Because it doesn't <deleted> matter! - The most sincere act of kindness I have experienced on the face of the whole planet was from a little old Thai lady who hadn't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. “Hi So” she was not - Class, she had <deleted> buckets of it.

SO!

Can we get back to discussing the baggage Thais take with them

And Donz, if you feel the need to tell the world at EVERY SINGLE <deleted> OPORTUNITY that your g/f is 'Hi So'...............

................. Find a professional who you can talk to about your own baggage problems… You might mention your new found avtar while your at it.

I for one am sick of hearing you droning on.

There is a world beyond 'T-shirt salesman shags girl with better education than he has'

[Edit] - Emotions switched off (believe it or not)

You know - I thought it was just me - Donz is really a bore. I have never read any of his posts that actually made sense..

Not flaming (mods), just agreeing with a thoughtful and considered post... :o

Last year went to the US with my wife and had a reverse problem with her wanting to bring clothes back that were actually made in Thailand/China and 10 times the price that you would find them for in Pratunaam ... :o

Managed to persuade her to make do with the Uncle Sam keyring :D

Edited by davidjtayler

Am I the only one here who's heard more than enough of Donz droning on about his 'Hi So' g/f

Let Me Remind You All

The purpose of the of this post was to discuss the 'baggage Thais take with them when traveling overseas

The purpose was not to discuss “The 'Baggage Donz carries around (in the form of a huge chip on his shoulder)" _ And please, Donz, I AM NOT referring to your g/f when I say 'Baggage'.

Listen up.

I had the good fortune to study at one of the two top universities in Britain (I would argue the world), people I got pissed with (when we should have been studying) were direct decedents of the people who's names filled the history books I read at school... I am guessing, but I am not insisting, they might claim to be 'Hi So'.

I don't give a rats arse about claims that some Farang’s claims that his Thai bint is 'Hi So'

A) Because most Farangs haven't got a <deleted> clue when it comes to judging the "Class" of Thais'.

:o Because it doesn't <deleted> matter! - The most sincere act of kindness I have experienced on the face of the whole planet was from a little old Thai lady who hadn't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. “Hi So” she was not - Class, she had <deleted> buckets of it.

SO!

And Donz, if you feel the need to tell the world at EVERY SINGLE <deleted> OPORTUNITY that your g/f is 'Hi So'...............

................. Find a professional who you can talk to about your own baggage problems… You might mention your new found avtar while your at it.

There is a world beyond 'T-shirt salesman shags girl with better education than he has'

Good post, Guesthouse. I always get a chuckle out of the people who always like to brag about their hi-so wife or gf. Not saying that it doesn't ever happen, but certainly, as you so eloquently put it many months ago,

Thailand attracts "Walter Mitties" like flies to a jam pot."

I'm sure many of these so-called hi-so wives and gfs are hi-so wannabies at best and more likely just the wild imaginations of guys who think that if they can convince themselves and others that their wife/gf is hi-so, then somehow others will think more highly of them. As with you, I couldn't care less about the social status of someone's wife/gf and bragging about it here does nothing but lower my opinion of the said posters.

Cant wait for the next TV Party to meet Donz and his Hi-So bride to be. Maybe he could bring her parents as well so we can have a family reunion. Inform them how they get discussed regulary on the TV website by their Son in law to be.

Yeah, Donz! Lets do that. Next TV Party you bring all your Hi-So friends a long.

Maybe you could provide the T-Shirts for the party as well.

Oh well... :o

Anyway, getting back on track, maybe the reason Thais pack so much to take with them is that they have no idea about the world outside their own country?

Even some of the educated staff in my company have daft preconceptions and stereotypes of other countries, and yes they are mostly blinkered and xenophobic; thats why a lot of them, when they do leave LOS never come back here because of the opportunities they never knew existed in the big wide world.

Here's another Thai perspective before you guys get back to your 'chip on your shoulder' flame wars. :D

80 kilograms of free cargo... if you don't include the "manual labor" of carting your luggage to the check-in desk at origin and from the conveyor belt to car at destination. I happen to send out around 800-900 kgs. of orchids from the country every other day, and if we were to compare BKK-LAX (we actually fly BKK-AUS, but the domestic cargo rates after customs clearance vary depending on the customer), that would cost you (in the 45-100 kg. rate group), $4.56 per kilogram + a 1,200 Baht (let's say $32) documents fee from our freight forwarder. So that's already a free $400 value besides the savings or profit from whatever your "cargo" is. Chump change, but still valuable for those who aren't yet burning bank notes instead of firewood. I'm likely a bit off on the cargo rate as I'm not too hands on about that business nowadays, but it's around that range, not including recent fuel surcharge additions and retractions.

Now we're certainly not shipping out orchids in our baggage allowance when we travel, but you'll certainly find all kinds of stuff -no mama noodles, but you'll often find everyday type groceries: menthol inhalers, hair dye, jade combs, etc. that may seem to defy "logic." Basically all the things that Thai supermarkets already import through Thai importers based in New York, LA, SFO, SEA, Miami, etc. All destined for either our own relatives or friend's shops when we're outbound stateside. Not always an absolute. The point is that it's there to be utilized at no extra cost. On the way back, that same cargo allowance is again used for whatever. This time around, a bunch of textbooks (often hard to find good second hand texts here), lots of Luxilon tennis string (which is way overpriced here in BKK), a few bottles within the allowed allowance of Weller bourbon (try finding that anywhere), etc. No need to pack a stitch of clothing as we have wardrobes in homes in both countries. So the logic is quite simply "free cargo." Now we don't take it to an extreme or anything, sometimes we won't have any baggage at all, except for a backpack or laptop bag... but when we do use our baggage allowance, it's simply because we can.

:o

I think Heng's post gets at something interesting here. There is a cultural difference with many of us post-WWII westerners, in terms of thinking of separate "personal" and "business" lives. From another point of view, we probably artificially exaggerate this separation, and I said "post-WWII" because I suspect it has to do with some of the class mobility efforts of the Baby Boom and subsequent generations.

The idea that during my overseas trip, I should act as a freight carrier for someone seems absurd. I understand the logic in what Heng is describing, but I feel offended by the very idea that I would "sully" my trip with import/export duties. I go out of my way to reduce my luggage size to a single small roll-aboard for 2-6 week business trips overseas, and then someone assumes that it would be no real bother at all to add another bag full of junk. Nowhere in these calculations of freight cost is the valuation of my personal time or stress-level during travel... and believe me, my family doesn't want to pay my market value as a consultant even for a few hours of luggage lugging. :o

But getting back to the class-posturing---from conversations with fellow native Californians, I have found a common theme wherein we like to travel light as a sort of subconsious reaction to the way our parents traveled. We despise the feeling of turning any weekend or week-long vacation into a mad caravan. Maybe it is programmed into us, the way we laugh uncomfortably at the faded image of the "Okies" roaming across the western US with their clap-trap of a pickup-truck overladed with a life's belongings?

All I know is that I get a small, secret thrill from the idea that I can fly anywhere in the world with a toothbrush, a few changes of clothes, and a credit card. The fact that it is my guilty pleasure is what makes me think there are some inexplicably complex cultural or psychological issues at stake. :D

I think Heng's post gets at something interesting here. There is a cultural difference with many of us post-WWII westerners, in terms of thinking of separate "personal" and "business" lives. From another point of view, we probably artificially exaggerate this separation, and I said "post-WWII" because I suspect it has to do with some of the class mobility efforts of the Baby Boom and subsequent generations.

The idea that during my overseas trip, I should act as a freight carrier for someone seems absurd. I understand the logic in what Heng is describing, but I feel offended by the very idea that I would "sully" my trip with import/export duties. I go out of my way to reduce my luggage size to a single small roll-aboard for 2-6 week business trips overseas, and then someone assumes that it would be no real bother at all to add another bag full of junk. Nowhere in these calculations of freight cost is the valuation of my personal time or stress-level during travel... and believe me, my family doesn't want to pay my market value as a consultant even for a few hours of luggage lugging. :o

But getting back to the class-posturing---from conversations with fellow native Californians, I have found a common theme wherein we like to travel light as a sort of subconsious reaction to the way our parents traveled. We despise the feeling of turning any weekend or week-long vacation into a mad caravan. Maybe it is programmed into us, the way we laugh uncomfortably at the faded image of the "Okies" roaming across the western US with their clap-trap of a pickup-truck overladed with a life's belongings?

All I know is that I get a small, secret thrill from the idea that I can fly anywhere in the world with a toothbrush, a few changes of clothes, and a credit card. The fact that it is my guilty pleasure is what makes me think there are some inexplicably complex cultural or psychological issues at stake. :D

Agreed. Traveling light is the only way to go. Much less stress and hassles. Only in extreme cases will I travel with anything less than carry-on luggage. I think Mrs. Soju is finally seeing the light as well. It used to be she wanted to bring a 40 kg. checked bag plus three or more carry-ons. She's now down to just three carry-ons. If someone asks me to carry something or bring something back for them, I tell them they'll have to get in line as I will only carry for someone else a maximum of one small item per trip and lots of other people are waiting for their turn to come up.

Interesting thread because, although not Thai I do bring back alot of luggage from the US when returning to thailand.

Because my home is in Thailand I tend to bring back some personal things my parents have kept (not trusting the mails that much), gifts from my parents to my husband, things I cannot get in Thailand, gifts for my husband's family and our friends. Cheetos for my husband :o Adds up to my weight allowance limit.

Would I ever bring something I could get in Thailand? Sure, I bought a laptop for about $200 US cheaper in the US than in Thailand.

Interestingly, my husband has never carried that kind of stuff from thailand (ie food items). He loves western food and isn't afraid to eat anything.

So, perhaps it is not just a fear of the unknown but the need to have things that give comfort when far away from home surrounded by strangers.

I had a Thai guy in front of me in the customs queue in Jeddah many years ago. They opened his bag and pulled out a fresh dressed chicken that he’d carried on the flight from Bangkok. He must have bought it in the market just before boarding the flight as it hadn’t been frozen.

Lots of shouting and a customs assistant brought over a meat clever and proceeded to mince the non halal chicken on the customs desk.

Not wanting minced chicken all over my luggage, I moved to the next queue. At least all the live insects and lizards the Nigerians had in that queue would be easier to get rid of. :o

Edited by Farma

I'm sure many of these so-called hi-so wives and gfs are hi-so wannabies at best and more likely just the wild imaginations of guys who think that if they can convince themselves and others that their wife/gf is hi-so, then somehow others will think more highly of them. As with you, I couldn't care less about the social status of someone's wife/gf and bragging about it here does nothing but lower my opinion of the said posters.

I would like to know what the hi-so context is.

Does it mean highly educated and educated family?

or just a family with $ to piss away on fancy things.

I think I might fall into the mentioned category. I like to mention my wife is highly educated. I like to do this because so many people are quick to think poorly of Thai girls/relations. I don't people thinking I met her in a bar and I certainly don't want people thinking ill of her. But I know no one gives a ###### about what her daddy does or what brand clothes she wears, alcohol she drinks, or car she drives.

Let Me Remind You All

Listen up.

:o Because it doesn't <deleted> matter! - The most sincere act of kindness I have experienced on the face of the whole planet was from a little old Thai lady who hadn't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. “Hi So” she was not - Class, she had <deleted> buckets of it.

SO!

HEAR! HEAR!

"Which is just to say that every nationality has the same individuals to be found.

And just to be clear, Americans are also known for such nonsense.

smile.gif"

not just thai........

every time i went to the states, i brought all the required food stuff from israel (the kids were used to the packages even though there is the same stuff, like chocolate spread for sandwiches, instant noodle things, etc); conversly, inthe beginning, i used to bring stuff from the states back to israel , EVEN THOUGH I COULD BUY THE SAME STUFF IN THE CITY, IN A LOCAL SUPERMARKET, even cranberry juice and sauce

i used to bring meds from states to israel, not trusing the ones here. now i do the reverse cause i got used to the ones here and dont trust the ones there. i bring elite brand instant powdered coffeee as i no longer can stand the american stuff, etc etc etc.....

PLUS, every friend, as Heng put it, uses travellers as 'free freight carriers' for what people THINK is cheaper, better whatever from whereever: we used to bring telephones, tylenol, skippy peanutbutter, camping gear (may still be better in states for winter gear, but now everything can be ordered on internet so whats the point), my ex used to bring avocaddos and mangoe to the states but customs people cured him of the habit. his mother used to send him underwear and socks (no underwear in americans go combat?)...

i think its mostly like, TAKING A BIT OF HOME BACK WITH YOU!!!! like momma's cooking or something.

thais sent back kilos and kilos (like 50 kilo and the staff of el al where not amused) of dried fish and squids with me but guess what? u can get the same stuff in the market in tel aviv in the section geared to foreign workers. now we are taking back used clothes for friends here to their wives back home. one guy is sending his USED thai sports mags back to thailand (why????), they weight a ton!!!!! i have two huge suitcases packed with god knows what, to bring to thailand (we bought blankets as presents, work boots for paw, etc. it was just easier to shop here then to shop there for all this stuff which i'm sure there is in thailand tescos etc).

when people are 'back home' they just feel things are cheaper whtaever ,its like when u are on vacation, u tend to shop more outside your budget then u normally would. when u are on a 'home visit' u shop, and feel its cheaper, better whatever when u are at home.

no logic, just emotions really.

anon wanted to bring pecans and seeds (!!) of israeli plants but i drew the line after reading the customs thread: NO PLANTS, SEEDS ETC

i know we are going to be loaded down with presents fo fish and squids from wives to husbands here..... worse come to worse, we take them, we are overloaded, we leave them in airport, we blame airport officials, we save face with friends....

bina and anon

israel

Hubbies mum & aged aunts always make him a package of stinky dried fish, picked fish, various pastes they make from hand & other "bannork issan" issan fare that you can't get in shops. He takes it all with a wai but dumps it before we travel. He knows that 1) he will be in shit if stopped by customs & 2) we have 2 massive asian food importers 15 minutes drive from our house & he can get most of these things there. He would never hurt their feelings by telling them this though as they think that he is living in thai food depravations (furthest from the truth) & like most thais of their age, beleive food is the best way to show you care :o

I think I might fall into the mentioned category. I like to mention my wife is highly educated. I like to do this because so many people are quick to think poorly of Thai girls/relations. I don't people thinking I met her in a bar and I certainly don't want people thinking ill of her. But I know no one gives a ###### about what her daddy does or what brand clothes she wears, alcohol she drinks, or car she drives.

I didn't mean for "hi so" to be anything to do with education. In my experience, it has mostly to do with status (money) of yourself and your family and how you spend that money and maybe who you know.

Well my gf family are in the hi-so group, but i wont go into details.

A few of her friends parents own multiple companies/celebraties siblings and they all got masters here in sydney (or still in uni doing there masters) not all of them are in the hi so, maybe more in the middle.

They must surely be Hi-So if they own celebrities siblings?

Me?

I'm probably an R-So!

Bugs

I once flying Business Class out of BKK on BA flight when I had a frumpy middle aged Thai woman sat next to me.

No sooner had the 'seat belt light' been turned off, and before the G&Ts came around, she stood up and started unloading bundles of US$/GBP/Euros from under her cloathes into her her carryon bag -and I mean bundles.

The air crew never so much as batted a eye lid, so I can only assume this is a regular occurance.

Whats the big deal. I haul stuff with me too, (both ways) and I am not Thai. Maybe your spouses do not want the extra headache of looking for stuff and asking people who do not know what they are talking about for help. Although I must admit, I have never had excess luggage.

GuestHouse-You studied and got pissed with the dead?? Was that a degree in Mortuary Science? :o

I have been known to travel with 16 litres of motts clamato while returning to the kingdom. Can't get it here. i have been looking for 10+ years.

You must be a canook t.s

Nothing like a beer and clam the morning after :o

or a 3 caesar breakfast.

I have been known to travel with 16 litres of motts clamato while returning to the kingdom. Can't get it here. i have been looking for 10+ years.

You must be a canook t.s

Nothing like a beer and clam the morning after :o

or a 3 caesar breakfast.

Ahhhh ! The beloved caesar ... can take the edge off the vilest hangover ... mothers milk indeed !

I didn't mean for "hi so" to be anything to do with education. In my experience, it has mostly to do with status (money) of yourself and your family and how you spend that money and maybe who you know.

Well im talking about cash.

Although me and my gf want to make it by ourself, not with the parents money. Also I guess it doesnt really matter if posters think a Thai girl can come from a hi-so family, as many have already made up there mind there isnt any. Weather you believe one poster or not also doesn't really matter as this is just an internet forum.

I see how it can bother some posters here saying how good there Thai gf's are, as many posts of said posters are all about how miserable thai people and culture and will only accept negative news as the only correct thing in Thailand.

Just like the OP, he states that ALL thai's pack loads of food and none have any logic about normal packing or about anything else.

When your at the airport many nationalities have food etc when packing and going overseas. But some people will only want to notice it with Thai's

Let Me Remind You All

Listen up.

:D Because it doesn't <deleted> matter! - The most sincere act of kindness I have experienced on the face of the whole planet was from a little old Thai lady who hadn't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. “Hi So” she was not - Class, she had <deleted> buckets of it.

SO!

Here we go with exaggeration again. You say that i need professional help because of what I say about my gf? Then your wanting everyone to know you went to some posh uni in britain? :o

If you dont want to read it then dont read it. Someone asked me the question and i answered.

I definately never carry a chip on my shoulder, believe me :D

There is definately no need for your little attack as we were discussing this topic in a correct manner.

You claim ALL thai's take huge amounts of food on the plane, I have came and said "no" and maybe this has something to do with class. (as maybe the ones in the sticks dont know and probaly never really fly)

I guess too you that Thai's just cant do anything right, I feel sorry for how you may feel towards Thai's but maybe you need a better look and have a smile.

Edited by Donz

Although me and my gf want to make it by ourself, not with the parents money. Also I guess it doesnt really matter if posters think a Thai girl can come from a hi-so family, as many have already made up there mind there isnt any. Weather you believe one poster or not also doesn't really matter as this is just an internet forum.

I see how it can bother some posters here saying how good there Thai gf's are, as many posts of said posters are all about how miserable thai people and culture and will only accept negative news as the only correct thing in Thailand.

Just like the OP, he states that ALL thai's pack loads of food and none have any logic about normal packing or about anything else.

When your at the airport many nationalities have food etc when packing and going overseas. But some people will only want to notice it with Thai's

Donz, nobody doubts that there are hi so Thai girls of course, we're just all surprised that they knock about with ozzies. :D

Actually I would doubt that many Hi So girls study in OZ, middle class maybe, but true Thai Hi society is a different world, it's all European education, Mercs, hermes handbags and not many farang will be allowed in this exclusive circle. In fact to be fair it's quite rare for a true hi so girl to be going out with a farang, and most of the Hi So people that posters here talk about knowing are not at all they are just wannabees. So understand the backlash everytime you talk about your hi so girlfriend, there's a bit of disbelief in the air. :o

PS. Dont think GH can be accused of racism, bit of a fun thread if you ask me . :D

Donz, nobody doubts that there are hi so Thai girls of course, we're just all surprised that they knock about with ozzies. :D

Actually I would doubt that many Hi So girls study in OZ, middle class maybe, but true Thai Hi society is a different world, it's all European education, Mercs, hermes handbags and not many farang will be allowed in this exclusive circle. In fact to be fair it's quite rare for a true hi so girl to be going out with a farang, and most of the Hi So people that posters here talk about knowing are not at all they are just wannabees. So understand the backlash everytime you talk about your hi so girlfriend, there's a bit of disbelief in the air. :o

PS. Dont think GH can be accused of racism, bit of a fun thread if you ask me . :D

Im not a normal Aussie, havent you read bedlam :D (jk).

Well I think the backlash is because im a young, abit of a a-hole, but found a great girl that has some logic and some people really dont like that. I got abit lucky and people on here probaly more deserving then myself didnt get so lucky and just are abit hot headed when they hear some positive stuff. :D