Thai/British minor denied boarding today

Good evening,

me, my 10-year old step-son (dual citizen UK/Thai) and his mother (Thai with EU national visa) were denied boarding a flight out of Thailand on his UK passport as it did not have an entry stamp into Thailand. He was born in Thailand and his UK passport was issued in Bangkok.

He does not currently have a Thai passport for different reasons. He did travel on a Thai passport before and used that last year to exit and enter Thailand with all stamps (as I understand it should be) but now that passport has expired.

The airline said he would not be able to pass immigration to board the flight without any stamp in his UK passport - is that true? I remember doing exactly that with two of our kids who were born in Thailand and it was not a problem.

Thanks for any advice!

You needed to be able to show his birth certificate to show he was born in Thailand, hence the reason for no stamps.

However if the child is Thai and has a Thai birth certificate then there is every likelihood he will require a Thai passport to exit Thailand.

If he's 10 he should have a Thai ID card should he not,isn't this proof enough ?

It's a known fact that Thai nationals with dual citizenship / passports should always enter Thailand and depart Thailand on a Thai passport to avoid the hassle you have stated above.

It takes about 3 to 5 days to obtain a Thai passport in Thailand so I fail to see why he doesn't currently have one.

What advice are you actually seeking ?

As he is my step-son and his parents who are still both required to appear before the Thai passport issuing authorities but not live close to each other it is not as easy as you would like to believe.

• Like 1

It's a known fact that Thai nationals with dual citizenship / passports should always enter Thailand and depart Thailand on a Thai passport to avoid the hassle you have stated above.

It takes about 3 to 5 days to obtain a Thai passport in Thailand so I fail to see why he doesn't currently have one.

As he is my step-son and his parents who are still both required to appear before the Thai passport issuing authorities but not live close to each other it is not as easy as you would like to believe.

Really my girlfriend obtained a passport for her son my step son only last year,his father was no where to be seen so I fail to see how that's the case.

• Like 2

You needed to be able to show his birth certificate to show he was born in Thailand, hence the reason for no stamps.

However if the child is Thai and has a Thai birth certificate then there is every likelihood he will require a Thai passport to exit Thailand.

If he's 10 he should have a Thai ID card should he not,isn't this proof enough ?

Nope, he does have one but it did not matter to the airline staff.

Really my girlfriend obtained a passport for her son my step son only last year,his father was no where to be seen so I fail to see how that's the case.

Good for you! I do know different cases and are living proof for it does not work everywhere so I fail to see what help you could be to this case.

Edited by alex_4000
  • Like 2

So the moral of the story is he/you need to obtain a Thai passport for him in order to avoid further issues when travelling between Thailand and Europe.

What more is there that people can add to the discussion.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 1

Well that needs to be sorted out then. It is much easier for his parents to show up at the Thai passport application centre than you trying to find a way to get your son out without a proper identity document acceptable to the Thai authorities.

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear of your problem. It must have been a nightmare at the airport needing to, on the spot, cancel the trip.

Perhaps, it might be possible for your step-son's father to sign a notarized letter requesting the issuance of the passport in lieu of actually attending. Alternatively, this might be one of those occasions when official "flexibility" assisted by financial inducements is the way to go. Sometimes, using the services of a savvy lawyer can help in such circumstances.

...Perhaps, it might be possible for your step-son's father to sign a notarized letter requesting the issuance of the passport in lieu of actually attending...

I saw a post quite recently mentioning that the Thai passport office accepted the written consent for the issuance of a minor's passport from a parent who was unable to present himself at the office. Therefore, the physical absence of a parent need indeed be no hindrance to the issue of the passport.

• Like 1

The problem is:

"He did travel on a Thai passport before and used that last year to exit and enter Thailand with all stamps (as I understand it should be) but now that passport has expired."

He needs to leave on the same passport/nationality that he last entered on.

there were a couple of older topics on this same subject where someone brought their child here, the passport expired and they were unable to get the Thai passport renewed for the child to leave on.

Not true. My step daughter got her Thai passport with only her Mother appearing. The steps taken were 1. get her on her mother's Thai house paper 2. get a Thai I.D. card 3. Then get a Thai passport. No problem. In summary the authorities are aware that many Thai women are left to look after their children on their own by their husbands/boyfriends. Thai children require I.D.s from the age of 7, without that no passport can be issued.

first of all, at age 10 he can have an id card but it's not a must until he's 15.

Secondly, an id card is for internal use only, not international use as is the case leaving the country

"flexibility" assisted by financial inducements is the way to go

are you suggesting, encouraging, that the OP should commit a crime ? Hence , that the OP should support corruption and undermine the government efforts to halt corruption ?

Isn't it that what caused all the problems in Thailand in the first place ?

Farangs bribing Thai's to get their problems disappear ?

• Like 1

Anyone know the procedure to get a Thai passport for a Thai/UK child with Thai ID card and lives in Thailand? Father is British and lives in the UK. Mother is in a Thai jail for the foreseeable future.

It is possible with consent from both parents.

Info is here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

Anyone know the procedure to get a Thai passport for a Thai/UK child with Thai ID card and lives in Thailand? Father is British and lives in the UK. Mother is in a Thai jail for the foreseeable future.

Info is here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

Thanks for that. By any chance do you have soft copy examples of:

1. Letter of Authorization from the applicant’s parents giving the non-appearing parent's representative the authority to sign a parental consent form in front of the Passport Office’s authorized personnel

2. Parental consent letter signed by the applicant’s non-appearing parent

Thanks for that. By any chance do you have soft copy examples of:

1. Letter of Authorization from the applicant’s parents giving the non-appearing parent's representative the authority to sign a parental consent form in front of the Passport Office’s authorized personnel

2. Parental consent letter signed by the applicant’s non-appearing parent

Consent form download. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20120630-195748-510034.pdf

Since you are here it might be best to go to a passport office to get the forms.

me, my 10-year old step-son (dual citizen UK/Thai) and his mother (Thai with EU national visa) were denied boarding a flight out of Thailand on his UK passport as it did not have an entry stamp into Thailand. He was born in Thailand and his UK passport was issued in Bangkok.

He does not currently have a Thai passport for different reasons. He did travel on a Thai passport before and used that last year to exit and enter Thailand with all stamps (as I understand it should be) but now that passport has expired.

Were his mother and father legally married?

If so the divorce papers should state who has legal custody of her son. If it's the mother she uses the divorce papers as proof of sole custody and can apply for her son's passport herself.

If they weren't legally married the mother is deemed to have custody. She will need to get a Kor Ror 14 from her local Amphur and take that with the passport application. Again only she needs to apply.

Out of interest were both parents present when her son applied for his previous passport?

Your step son requires an entry permit to the UK issued by the British embassy .Having a British passport does not give an automatic right of entry into the UK .

iE Many people from Hongkong and elsewhere have British passports but no automatic entry of passage into the UK

Do you have of can you get a copy of the mothers ID and house registration? If so fill out passport in her name, get her to sign in prison along with a power of attorney to make the application on her behalf as well as a letter from her authorizing the child to leave the kingdom with you accompanying the child. Of course it may not be enough for officialdom here. The safest way is to get the mother to agree to you becoming the guardian of the child which is the more sure way to go. It shoukd not be too difficult but you will need the help of a lawyer if you can find an honest one.

Your step son requires an entry permit to the UK issued by the British embassy .Having a British passport does not give an automatic right of entry into the UK .

iE Many people from Hongkong and elsewhere have British passports but no automatic entry of passage into the UK

It does not say anywhere that the child has BNO status.... this is actually meant for hongkong people.

• Like 1

Nonsense.

If the child has a full British Passport he is fully entitled to entry into the UK - no other documents or endorsements are required.

The Hong Kong Passport is a separate and rather unique situation.

Patrick

Nonsense.

If the child has a full British Passport he is fully entitled to entry into the UK - no other documents or endorsements are required.

The Hong Kong Passport is a separate and rather unique situation.

Patrick

I'd agree with Patrick. I took my Thai/ English son to England last June with both his Thai and UK passport. Immigration looked at both passports, and told me he was going to use the UK passport for exit which he stamped. His UK passport was used for entry in to England with no problems, and then also for his return into Thailand. It says in his UK passport he is a British Citizen.

Not true airline should of taken you to immigration and you would of sorted it there same happened to me taking my kids on an uk passport made in uk, with no stamps in i explained the situation to immigration and they rang my thai wife to confirm i was just taking for a holiday and i had a return ticket and it got sorted, as your wife was there it shouldnt of been a problem

• Like 1