Thailand's postal service - what do they do with my mail?

BV70

I briefly had a business here which involved sending parcels to pretty much anywhere in the world. Generally unregistered took about 2 weeks. I've had birthday cards and other small items sent here in as little as 5 days (though usually 2 weeks or more).

We no longer operate a business here (for reasons outside of the scope of this topic), but because we sent so many I could map a trend, that after the last recession hit, not only did prices go through the roof, performance dropped as well. It wasn't a Thai thing (eg. UK to France), things would go missing for many weeks giving us chargebacks and included fess incurred to ensure a financial loss. The world economy is not in good shape, and I think that is reflected in the costs/performance. Perhaps they cut half of their air fleet or something, I don't know, but my accounts showed a distinct trend in cost/performance from around 2008 until now.

If I had reason to post something from here (unlikely) I would definitely add on the minimum charge that gave a tracking number. Internally Thai EMS works fantastic, usually 2 days, sometimes even just one day.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived here for 136 years, had stuff posted to and from Bangkok, Hong Kong, US, UK, Australia, the moon etc etc but never ever had a problem...but I always insist on signed delivery.....its peanuts extra to pay. A friend who sends me stuff sometimes from Bangkok has had a couple of small parcels vanish but only when the old git forgets to ask for signed delivery.

136 years - blimey, how was the mail delivered when you first arrived - stage coach?

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Water buffalo, didnt have wheels then. tongue.png

I have sent at least 30-40 envelope packages and full size packages. Some with tracking,

most without. All have arrived at the destination. Some opened by Canada customs,

most not. coffee1.gif

Are you writing 'UK' on the address? Somebody once told me that UK is the code for the Ukraine. I'm not sure how true this is but that might be where your mail is going. I normally write United Kingdom in full on any mail I send.

Thats interesting, as my Posts Office didnt know what the "United Kingdom" was and asked for UK, but ideally Great Britain as thats what they use in their system.

If you look on the Thai Post website, in their list of countries its "Great Britain".

Shouldnt matter, the post code is the important bit of info.

It matters, as many post codes are used severel times worldwide. For UK it's usually GB, UA for the Ukraine (never UK). I never missed anything, neither letters nor parcels, from an to Thailand (within the last 30 years).

Well bugger me, I just looked it up and you are correct, I always thought each country, state, district etc had a unique number. I knew sooner or later I would be wrong about something and the time has finally arrived tongue.png

l lived in lndonesia & many Christmas cards never made it to Australia, the UK etc.

l have been told that the postal workers didn't like handling anything to do with the Christian religion & tore them up.

lf they contained money, then that was a bonus for them.

Friend of mine worked on an oilrig off Pakistan & NONE of his letters reached the UK.

A Pakistani employee told him that the clerks in the Post Office would remove the stamps & resell them.

Keeping the money, off course, then destroying the letter.

His company then franked all their letters but they still didn't arrive.

Maybe the postal workers destroyed them out of spite because they couldn't steal?

l have found no problems, so far, with the Thai postal service.

Are you writing 'UK' on the address? Somebody once told me that UK is the code for the Ukraine. I'm not sure how true this is but that might be where your mail is going. I normally write United Kingdom in full on any mail I send.

Thats interesting, as my Posts Office didnt know what the "United Kingdom" was and asked for UK, but ideally Great Britain as thats what they use in their system.

If you look on the Thai Post website, in their list of countries its "Great Britain".

So, what do you put if you are sending a card to Belfast?.

Serioulsy, for the OP, all my Christmas cards arrived last year and they cost about 45 baht each. You've just been unlucky. Like another poster though, I use Moonpig for birthday cards,given you want them to arrive on a specific date.

I always send mail registered,unfortunately official letters sent from the government services to Thailand are never registered, too costly so a lot of stuff goes missing, in some cases this can have disastrous consequences for the individual

Interesting replies, thanks. I've been warned of potential confusion between the UK and Ukraine, so I've always written out United Kingdom in full although never Great Britain. Perhaps I should try this next time.

Regarding cost, the 2 week delivery option costs around 50b but when I've asked the cost of a weekly service the price quoted has always been just short of 2000b. One poster says about 1300b which sounds likely.

Interesting replies, thanks. I've been warned of potential confusion between the UK and Ukraine, so I've always written out United Kingdom in full although never Great Britain. Perhaps I should try this next time.

Regarding cost, the 2 week delivery option costs around 50b but when I've asked the cost of a weekly service the price quoted has always been just short of 2000b. One poster says about 1300b which sounds likely.

I have also paid 1800 Baht for registered post with quick delivery to Europe.

I have had no problem with sending mail. Receiving, however, has been a different story. Over the last 3 months at least 2 packets have never arrived, and innumerable cards and letters. I wonder, does the sorting office lose them, or can the delivery man choose what to deliver and what to scrap or keep?

I always put England rather than UK as it seems to be less confusing for them. Nothing ever lost so it seems to work.

never had a problem sending nothing to the uk

was in australia a few years ago staying with my sister. sent a parcel to the uk, or so i thought, 3 days later the parcel was delivered to my sisters home - australia post had delivered it to the sent address on the back... blink.png

never had a problem sending nothing to the uk

was in australia a few years ago staying with my sister. sent a parcel to the uk, or so i thought, 3 days later the parcel was delivered to my sisters home - australia post had delivered it to the sent address on the back... blink.png

Same happened to my mate in Bangkok, the parcel he sent to me was back in his letter box next day. He went back to the post office and they told him he should have put the addressee on the top left of front of item, not on the back. I often send stuff from here (isaan) in those post office supplied padded bags but the addressee box is on the back?? Work that one out.....yeah I know....The land of contradictions!

Edited by ThaiFelix

Shouldnt matter, the post code is the important bit of info.

The correct country is of primary importance, in this case "Great Britain" and the postcode is of secondary importance.

With regards to tracking with the British post office, I often have item shipped within G.B. to a English address using Royal Mail tracking and often find that the tracking is delayed or incomplete. The packages usually arrive in good time and condition though.

Posted from my phone using predictive text, please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.

The prices/weights/times for EMS are on the Thailandpost website (it has an English option) and is very clear and easy to use.

Yes, you are unlucky or don't know how to write a simple address. I have sent parcels and wedding invitations to Canada and every single item arrived. On the other hand when I ship things via tracked mail from USA and Canada to UK, a lot of it goes missing.

Going to jump in here with you. I don't have that good of an experience. But I used to send out lots and lots of post cards to the States and Canada 85% of them arrived OK. Being as they were post cards that was accseptable. Also a few packages to Canada. No problem with them. I always go to a big post office rather than the small ones.

On the flip side in Canada there was one specific area where nothing ever arrived here in Thailand also one area in the states that nothing ever arrived from. All others were no problem. I tend to think a lot of time the fault might lay in the local post office that handles them.

Edited by big carl

Yes, you are unlucky or don't know how to write a simple address. I have sent parcels and wedding invitations to Canada and every single item arrived. On the other hand when I ship things via tracked mail from USA and Canada to UK, a lot of it goes missing.

Going to jump in here with you. I don't have that good of an experience. But I used to send out lots and lots of post cards to the States and Canada 85% of them arrived OK. Being as they were post cards that was accseptable. Also a few packages to Canada. No problem with them. I always go to a big post office rather than the small ones.

On the flip side in Canada there was one specific area where nothing ever arrived here in Thailand also one area in the states that nothing ever arrived from. All others were no problem. I tend to think a lot of time the fault might lay in the local post office that handles them.

Or theft.

Or theft.

I remember some years ago back home we had a large downpour, first for the winter season. The result was a suburban street being flooded, not just with water but with 100's of letters. Turns out a local posty liked to often knock off early and he did this by dumping the afternoon mail deliveries in a storm drain, thus blocking it. He was no thief, the letters were all unopened, he was just a lazy bastard!

My experience is the opposite. I nearly lost my UK (Great Britain) pension because letters from the pension office requesting proof that I was still alive within 8 weeks, arrived 12 weeks after date of letter. Two other letters from them were also 6 and 8 weeks late and delivered to the wrong house despite my address being correct (in Samui).

My experience is the opposite. I nearly lost my UK (Great Britain) pension because letters from the pension office requesting proof that I was still alive within 8 weeks, arrived 12 weeks after date of letter. Two other letters from them were also 6 and 8 weeks late and delivered to the wrong house despite my address being correct (in Samui).

Tell me about it ! i have asked the pension service why we can't do this online, or at least that they send the proof of existence forms online,would save a lot of time,

Or theft.

I remember some years ago back home we had a large downpour, first for the winter season. The result was a suburban street being flooded, not just with water but with 100's of letters. Turns out a local posty liked to often knock off early and he did this by dumping the afternoon mail deliveries in a storm drain, thus blocking it. He was no thief, the letters were all unopened, he was just a lazy bastard!

I remember something like that happening in Germany, the posty got 5 years in prison for it

Spend a couple extra THB and go with EMS for all posts internal or outside LOS.

This poster has not had any problems since they enacted that service.

Sending isn't the problem, anyone sending important documents will,if they have half a brain cell, send it registered, it is getting stuff from farang land that is critical, government departments and banks send stuff by normal mail to avoid costs,therein lies the problem.

Spend a couple extra THB and go with EMS for all posts internal or outside LOS.

This poster has not had any problems since they enacted that service.

how much extra do you pay for EMS? On enquiry I was told that, if I wanted my mail to arrive within 7 days, I'm looking at around 1300b- 2000b, as opposed to 50b for 2 weeks.

I should also mention that I've never had problems with post cards, only sealed envelope cards.

I always put England rather than UK as it seems to be less confusing for them. Nothing ever lost so it seems to work.

I do the same after a Post Office employee added England after Scotland on an envelope.

I recently received a letter from the Inland Revenue requesting that I submit an additional form within 17 days of the date of the letter. Only problem was that the letter didn't arrive until about 10 days after their totally unrealistic deadline. I must check that the form I returned has been safely received by them.

I too get occasional letters from my pension provider asking me to confirm I'm still arrive. They usually require someone to witness my signature though I'm sure they could send an email asking for the completed form to be returned to them.

Alan

Over the years my simple post cards from Thailand to the USA mailed from Pattaya mostly, but a few times from Bangkok, I would say averaged about a 70% delivery rate. Sometimes I would do it at the post office, sometimes I would do it at the book store where I bought the post cards and the stamps. All the ones mailed at the book store made it. sample space of about 30 post cards total

. I wonder, does the sorting office lose them, or can the delivery man choose what to deliver and what to scrap or keep?

I wonder, too; 4 years ago there were important letters I never receive from Europe, and may be the postman was too lazy to deliver them in my little street

now I have a PO box and I get everything, I go and fetch the mail myself: in my experience, every thing registered or EMS to Thailand or from Europe arrives well ; when you pay more, everything is ok