Eight people killed following horrific car crash in Nong Khai

webfact

Eight people killed following horrific car crash in Nong Khai

nkk.jpg

NONG KHAI:-- Eight people were killed following a collision between two pickup trucks in Nong Khai during the early hours of Friday morning.

A Nissan Navara pickup which was reportedly carrying five men and one woman lost control as it travelled along the Ratana Wapi-Pak Khad Road in Nong Phai at around 1.40am.

A Suzuki Carry truck which was also travelling along the same stretch of road is thought not to have seen the Nissan Navara and crashed into the wreckage at high speed, killing the two men inside.

Khaosod.co.th reports the five men, who were electricians and all from the same village, and the woman had just left a nearby karaoke bar.

The stretch of road where the accident happened is currently being expanded and because of this there were no road lights working at the time of the accident.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-04

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" ... around 1.40am ... reports the five men, who were electricians and all from the same village, and the woman had just left a nearby karaoke bar ... ".

So a good chance they were all pi$$ed, then.

Edited by MartinL

From the photo the car is an absolute wreck. Makes you wonder what kind of speed the driver was doing?

Nissan Navara's always look pretty tough to me. I guess it doesn't matter what car you are in, if you are speeding and have an accident then you haven't got that much chance really.

Throw beer into the mix as well and you can only expect the worst.

RIP

roadworks and they were both speeding, one would expect lights to warn drivers of roadworks but they stopped using them in Thailand as many were stolen by people, was very surprised when I was informed of this by my wife. Usually safety lights are mandatory at road works but thefts have stopped this here, the fact that many roads do not have lights of a night doesnt help either but in this case you can bet speed/alcohol played a major part as well.

From the photo the car is an absolute wreck. Makes you wonder what kind of speed the driver was doing?

Nissan Navara's always look pretty tough to me. I guess it doesn't matter what car you are in, if you are speeding and have an accident then you haven't got that much chance really.

RIP

Reading the article looks like 2 collisions the second one hitting the already wrecked pickup.

DELETED

Even soi dogs are able to keep out of the way of traffic...at least the smart ones. Pity, but after being schooled a billion times about drinking and driving...it is hard to sympathize with the karaoke people.

Sorry about the two drivers in the other truck, who were caught unaware.

Edited by seedy
derogatory

RIP

Reading the article looks like 2 collisions the second one hitting the already wrecked pickup.

Which is what the article states....but thanks for explaining it again.

Why sorry about the two other people in the second car/pickup ?

If the driver was driving correctly and not at " high speed" as it is written he could see the first vehicle and use his brakes or avoid the first vehicle ( if they didn't failed) .

roadworks and they were both speeding, one would expect lights to warn drivers of roadworks but they stopped using them in Thailand as many were stolen by people, was very surprised when I was informed of this by my wife. Usually safety lights are mandatory at road works but thefts have stopped this here, the fact that many roads do not have lights of a night doesnt help either but in this case you can bet speed/alcohol played a major part as well.

They recently resurfaced the main Sukhumvit road near to where I live, the street lights where deliberately turned off

on the stretch of unsurfaced rutted road ! also no warning signs

( maybe they think the lack of lights is the warning to slow down ? )

There where a few motorbike accidents due to hitting the ruts at speed.

Edited by johng

If you have nothing positive to contribute, move on to another topic.

RIP is a mark of respect for people who have lost their life, knowing them is not a requirement, its merely a respectful remark to make in acknowledgement of the loss of life.

Why sorry about the two other people in the second car/pickup ?

If the driver was driving correctly and not at " high speed" as it is written he could see the first vehicle and use his brakes or avoid the first vehicle ( if they didn't failed) .

because of this there were no road lights working at the time of the accident.

See the first vehicle? Maybe not.

They recently resurfaced the main Sukhumvit road near to where I live, the street lights where deliberately turned off

on the stretch of unsurfaced rutted road ! also no warning signs

There where a few motorbike accidents due to hitting the ruts at speed.

A good driver always drives according to the road conditions at the time. He is aware of what is coming up in front and also what is behind him. If it is raining he slows down so that he can stop if the unexpected occurs. He uses his mirrors often. If it is dark, drive within headlight vision. If there seem to be roadworks or poor surface, slow down.

It is usually people who are not driving within stopping capability that end up in accidents/incidents like this.

" ... around 1.40am ... reports the five men, who were electricians and all from the same village, and the woman had just left a nearby karaoke bar ... ".

I wasn't at the karaoke bar when these people were there.

I don't know the deceased.

I don't know if they were drinking.

I know that I don't know any more than what I have read.

I do know that eight people are dead and it's a very sad thing.

Think, Think, Think.

One more data point. The wee hours are for sleeping.

No matter how safe one driver's skills, the other guy may kill you anyway.

Also if you are sitting in the back of a pickup and it flips, you are unlikely to walk away.

I doubt they were all sitting in the cab with seat belts on.

Why do people need to drive pickup trucks like they are sports cars. I just don't get it. R.I.P

Because that is how the Pick-up truck makers ( Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi etc.) advertise their vehicles, as something they are not.

That is an excellent answer. You are absolutely bang on.

So how many tragic road accidents, & needless loss of countless lives before the Somchais of this nation realise that speed kills.

They all drive so damn fast..any slower vehicle ahead of them will get flashed-at to move out of their way... or undertaken without any drop in speed. It seems that all these Thai drivers treat their journey as a video-game..& when it's 'game over'.. it really is GAME OVER!

The sad part is when these idiots kill everyone else with them!

(As for howcome these pickups are driven like sports cars?..We've only to witness EVERY pick-up advert on TV) Rant over.

I would hazard a guess and say speed and drink caused this accident the 5men and the woman had just left a karaoke bar and obviously had a few drinks we don't know anything about the 2 men only the fact that the driver was speeding obviously had trouble with his eyesight didn't see the crash until it was too late.

If the car and motorbike manufacturers advertised their vehicles the way they do here in LoS in the UK there would be an outcry and they might even be fined for enticing irresponsible driving.

I worked in Qatar when it was 6th on the list of worst accidents and road deaths. I have seen what a V8 or V12 SUV looks like when it crashes at close to 200 kph. They become 2 1/2 ton missiles. The mess is unreal.

But nothing will change here and from what I just read on TV about the Chinese are now turning up and driving here it will only get a lot lot lot worse. Remember 20 years ago the Chinese went about on bicycles. The Thais 40 years ago were pulled about by Buffalos.

Now they get the chance to drive like F1 idiots in 2 door pick up trucks with no seat belts in the back on a bench seat.....is that legal anywhere else ?

more tragic needless preventable loss of life. one might wonder how many less people will die from electrocution?

The extreme apathy, indifference, and lack of concern on the part of the government continues unabated. Will anything ever change? Will the grown children in charge ever take traffic safety seriously, and actually stop talking and take some form of action? One can only hope. It is horrific to see people killed in this manner. The families no doubt are devastated, and mourning their losses at this moment. Their families will never be the same after this tragedy.

Until traffic safety is taught, and traffic law enforcement is taken seriously, enforced, and maintained, nothing will ever change. Thailand appears headed toward the number one spot. Not a distinction one would pursue willingly. And yet? Eventually the police will have to be trained, and properly equipped to enforce the law, and take public safety seriously. Will it happen in our lifetimes? One can only guess. I hope it does.

On the many road trips I have taken around Thailand, the only time I have EVER seen a highway patrol car was AFTER a serious accident. The rest of the time they are no where to be seen. Where are they? Why are they not citing people for reckless driving, drunk driving, driving without seat belts, illegal lane changes, and other dangerous moves one sees every day on the roads here? Wy is the government not investing in traffic safety, and beefing up the highway patrol?

Thailand is aiming for No 1 in the world!

If you count those killed at the scene of the accident plus those to die as the result of the accident on the way or at hospital (not counted in the road death tally), Thailand is already No 1, and so far ahead of the rest of the world it's out of sight.

Edited by Artisi