Video: Thai motorcyclist’s lucky escape all thanks to wearing a helmet

snoop1130

Video: Thai motorcyclist’s lucky escape all thanks to wearing a helmet
Kwaang Siripoom

post-249866-0-94612500-1457091947_thumb.

CHONBURI:-- A motorcyclist in Chonburi had a lucky escape after surviving a collision with an 18 wheel truck, all because he was wearing a helmet.

The incredible dash cam footage shows the man riding behind a pickup and another motorbike which breaks suddenly forcing the man to lose control of his motorcycle, falling to the road before being hit by the truck which was passing in the next lane.

The clip was uploaded to Facebook by user ชาเขียวปั่น หวานน้อย along with the caption ‘The world should know, helmet can save your life’.

According to Thairath, the accident happened at 11am on March 2 on the road approaching Vibharam Amata Nakorn Hospital, Chonburi.

Despite being taken to hospital, the motorcyclist is reported to have only received minor injuries, which could almost certainly have been fatal had he not been wearing a helmet.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-04

Why the heck did the pick up suddenly stop in the outside lane?

A similar thing happened to me on the Bangkok-Pattaya highway once. I was lucky, but 3 or 4 cars ended up being smashed.

Yes, a crash helmet is essential. I saw a guy at a motor-cross fall and get hit by another bike. He had a huge chunk ripped out of his helmet, but he got up and walked away.

That was enough to convince me.

A similar thing happened to me on the Bangkok-Pattaya highway once. I was lucky, but 3 or 4 cars ended up being smashed.

Yes, a crash helmet is essential. I saw a guy at a motor-cross fall and get hit by another bike. He had a huge chunk ripped out of his helmet, but he got up and walked away.

Pickup stopped because of the other cars waiting to u-turn.

A common enough occurrence here and easily avoided with a little common sense and forward thinking ... both of which seem sorely lacking in most drivers I see on the roads here.

So pick up in front stopped, motor cycle couldn't, and ended up slamming into the pickup and being hurled into the side of a Artic, who was in way to blame. To me the motorcyclist was driving with u due care and attention. I rest my case ! But any motorcyclist who rides without a helmet is brain dead to start with.

So pick up in front stopped, motor cycle couldn't, and ended up slamming into the pickup and being hurled into the side of a Artic, who was in way to blame. To me the motorcyclist was driving with u due care and attention. I rest my case ! But any motorcyclist who rides without a helmet is brain dead to start with.

That's the problem with the old blame game. If you only want to point a finger then you miss so much more.

Problem is the guy was not watching was going on around him. Just happy in his own little world. He registered they guy in red fly past and he found his lane blocked ahead, so moved out to overtake.

Now all's great, well except for following too close, until we have a U-turn position ahead, if he was thinking or had been taught of it's dangers he would know to back off. Instead he is still just assuming all is fine. To his eye the guy in red ahead has obscured the view of the vehicles stopping so he has no idea of what is happening.

By the time he realises he has to try and stop, as nobody has ever taught him to do a emergency stop , he panics, locks the rear wheel and looses control. The rest was then down to luck.

Just a little defensive rider training can make so much of a difference to the barrage of silly everyday accidents like this.

Amazing! Did you notice how many people just eased around him and then drove on, as if nothing in the world was wrong?

..they just stood over him for more than a minute..not one person bended down to get their pants dirty to see if he had a pulse or choking from his chin strap...geez!..perhaps they thought he was deceased...then another 40 seconds before he makes signs of stirring..then he had to drag his legs back perhaps up into a seated position beside the pickup so as he wouldn't have his legs severed..all unaided..geez! sad.png

Edited by rodcourt49

A common enough occurrence here and easily avoided with a little common sense and forward thinking ... both of which seem sorely lacking in most drivers I see on the roads here.

Had he been looking at what was happening in front of he, there would have been no accident. That should be the moral of the story.

That's the problem with the old blame game. If you only want to point a finger then you miss so much more.

Problem is the guy was not watching was going on around him. Just happy in his own little world. He registered they guy in red fly past and he found his lane blocked ahead, so moved out to overtake.

Now all's great, well except for following too close, until we have a U-turn position ahead, if he was thinking or had been taught of it's dangers he would know to back off. Instead he is still just assuming all is fine. To his eye the guy in red ahead has obscured the view of the vehicles stopping so he has no idea of what is happening.

By the time he realises he has to try and stop, as nobody has ever taught him to do a emergency stop , he panics, locks the rear wheel and looses control. The rest was then down to luck.

Just a little defensive rider training can make so much of a difference to the barrage of silly everyday accidents like this.

It is no clear, but to me it looked as if when he knew he was going to hit the bike and pickup in front of him he, he swerved into the other lane, rather than the back brake locking up.

Bravo to the rider for bucking the status quo - and wearing a safety helmet.

Most safety helmets are pretty flimsy, like this one.

I was putting perhaps 10-15 pounds of pressure on the side of it - and it almost folded in half..sad.png

In Lansaka, for what it's worth cheesy.gif

post-254530-0-78426300-1457144613_thumb.

That is how stupid this place with the u turns all over thailand

actually it looks like he just leaned over an laid it down, no collision, then his head bounces off the truck wheel, the bike bounces off of something in front of the pickup and back into the middle lane.

in light of possible neck injuries, best not move victim.

He didnt SUDDENLY stop,he was in the "U" turn lane and obviously the m/c did not see him(was not concentrating)

Wow! Lucky!

I don't ride a motorcycle here or in the UK. But when I drive a car here, I avoid the 3rd lane for a couple of reasons

The U turns that suddenly appear

and

Many times there are slow drivers and when a speeder comes up behind slow man, he has to hit the brakes or swerve into the middle lane. Both actions can result in accidents

He wasn't saved by his helmet he was saved by timing. During the spin the bike went under the truck rather than the rider, which stopped the spin.

and, yes, I agree, no collision, he just laid the bike down.... not his best decision, but luck was on his side.

I don't know of any helmet on the market that would have helped, had his head gone under the truck rather that the bike....But I may be wrong.

The lesson learned..."don't lay your bike down unless you are certain of getting your timing right."

Edited by AllanB

Because it was a U-turn! The problem here is that drivers do not look ahead. Only at the vehicle in front of them. If you didn't see the U-turn sign then you are probably guilty also coffee1.gif .

Amazing! Did you notice how many people just eased around him and then drove on, as if nothing in the world was wrong?

..they just stood over him for more than a minute..not one person bended down to get their pants dirty to see if he had a pulse or choking from his chin strap...geez!..perhaps they thought he was deceased...then another 40 seconds before he makes signs of stirring..then he had to drag his legs back perhaps up into a seated position beside the pickup so as he wouldn't have his legs severed..all unaided..geez! sad.png

Maybe he was talking, normally that's enough to know if someone is injured or death.

And don't move someone who was in an accident unless some medics are present.

Yep....the clear lesson here is to ride (drive if you are in a car) defensively......always assume the other guy is out to get you.

I have binned three helmets after slides and a meeting with a wall. One was ground all the way down where my cheek , ear and temple were.

I never ever ride without a good quality helmet....even when in 45 plus degree heat.

I saw it many time and telling many time .. if the motorbikes STAY left, pass LEFT when it is save it would avoid 70 % of the serious accidents !

swish from left to right and back again, cutting other vehicles, not seeing what is coming other side, or what's happening in front of the car, driving on a middle line between fast driving cars in both directions ... hanging close behind a car to look to overtake, if this car suddenly stop ...

and then suddenly appear from between to cars in front of the left driving motorbike ..

STAY LEFT, NOT BEHIND A CAR and you avoid a lot of dangerous situations for you and for the car drivers

for all you riding experts(sic) he did what they all do and thats 'watch the road 10 feet in front of the bike' followed by the staple 'grab a fistfull of front brake'. the grabbing almost always throws the bike down on its right side due to the leverage of grabbing the brake. i was unfortunate enough to watch a girl do this on a scooter while a truck drove over her legs and reduced them to a smear on the road. she didnt see a parked car 50m in front of her as the truck overtook her .

Edited by tomyumchai

He wasn't saved by his helmet he was saved by timing. During the spin the bike went under the truck rather than the rider, which stopped the spin.

and, yes, I agree, no collision, he just laid the bike down.... not his best decision, but luck was on his side.

I don't know of any helmet on the market that would have helped, had his head gone under the truck rather that the bike....But I may be wrong.

The lesson learned..."don't lay your bike down unless you are certain of getting your timing right."

good idea

I saw it many time and telling many time .. if the motorbikes STAY left, pass LEFT when it is save it would avoid 70 % of the serious accidents !

swish from left to right and back again, cutting other vehicles, not seeing what is coming other side, or what's happening in front of the car, driving on a middle line between fast driving cars in both directions ... hanging close behind a car to look to overtake, if this car suddenly stop ...

and then suddenly appear from between to cars in front of the left driving motorbike ..

STAY LEFT, NOT BEHIND A CAR and you avoid a lot of dangerous situations for you and for the car drivers

Stay left? I don't know where you live, but where I live, the left lane is the most dangerous lane.

Accident cased by inattention and improper braking. Tomyumchai nailed it.

Nothing unsafe was going on at all. The motorbike in front had no problem with the slowing pickup in front of him. Just simple luck that his head didn't find a gap between the big truck's wheels because any helmet would have been totally useless for that.

'The clip was uploaded to Facebook ... with the caption ‘The world should know, helmet can save your life’.' I think much of the world is aware of that fact. It's the Thais who seem convinced karma decides. And I'm somewhat surprised the helmet remained in place, and intact, given the dire condition of many helmets, and the Thais tendency to leave the straps loose, or dangling, or to even replace them with shoelaces. But then the RTP recognises karma, too, so are unlikely to enforce the law.