Is the portrayal of Thailand as a risque travel destination such a bad thing?

sipi

I have lately thought of Thailand's risque image as a tourist destination as unfavorable if not embarrassing, and certainly dangerous.

Yet I am becoming involved in conversation with numerous travelers who still enjoy the liberality.

A recent chat with, who I perceived as a conservative elderly lady actually left me feeling slightly proud of Thailands tourist image.

She found the ladies of Pattaya attractive and fun with their "Massage, massage" chorus; amongst other things.

Should Thailand remain a liberal tourist destination, or sterilize it's market to historical and temple tours?

I cannot speak for others . But myself when I was young sought the dangerous places. Wanted adventure and danger This was way before Indiana Jones and internet...I think many young people today are the same. They see adventure and danger on TV and internet and want to try it.Many have never experienced it and it is a big wake up call for them when it is real and they arenot looking at a screen..Nothing beats life experiences.

They hear something happened they will come. No need to change. Also these are the young who spend because that's what they do.

Edited by lovelomsak

I think Thailand means different things to different people. Some think of go-go bars and massage parlours. Some think of temples, floating markets, calming retreats and exotic foods. Others think of beach bars, scuba dives and full moon parties.

Thailand can be risque, but I think you meant risky.

risqué
rɪˈskeɪ,ˈrɪskeɪ,ˈriːskeɪ/
adjective
  1. slightly indecent and liable to shock, especially by being sexually suggestive.
    "his risqué humour"

Risky my ass. Check out this compilation video of robbery in Rio at a major intersection http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=380_1456933847

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

A few years back a Bangkok taxi driver hacked an American passenger to death with a samourai sword al was filmed with cctv and is still to be seen on you tube.

Yeah but those Americans can get rather loaded and a bit annoying

Risky my ass. Check out this compilation video of robbery in Rio at a major intersection http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=380_1456933847

A few years back a Bangkok taxi driver hacked an American passenger to death with a samourai sword al was filmed with cctv and is still to be seen on you tube.

The guy was not loaded he was an Engineer working for caterpillar company on an assignment in Thailand.

It's all about perception people coming to Thailand as a tourist don't perceive the dangers for many reasons.

It's not their culture, they don't understand the language, they don't read the local news, it's warm and light, people smile around you, etc.

At their home countries they are very well aware of where to go and where not and about the dangers of daily life.

"A few years back ..."

Well that settles it, Thailand must be risque ... er , risky. He could have saved on the airfare and visited St. Louis or Detroit where someone is murdered every day or two.

"She found the ladies of Pattaya attractive and fun with their "Massage, massage" chorus; amongst other things." From Sipi

Well well well Sipi, let's see here...Thailand is a country full of curious contradictions, and the sex industry is no exception. On the one hand, the (illegal) sex-trade industry is in a tourist's face, and it is present in every city in the country. Ironically, Thai society is quite chaste, if only on the surface.

That about it, in a nutshellcoffee1.gif

P.S. "Sex and violence: the greatest duo since the Three Stooges."

I think he meant what he said. Risqué: Def. Suggesting of or bordering on indelicacy or impropriety. Risky: def. Accompanied by or involving risk or danger. He talks about the massage ladies. Not usually too risky to visit the massage ladies but sometimes can be very risqué.

I think the OP had really better indicate whether he meant "risqué" or risky, cos LoS is definitely risky (overnight buses, driving on any road 7/24, trains off rails, planes with dodgy pilots, murders on certain destinations, etc etc).

As for "risqué" - there are loads of places worldwide that are more "risqué" than Pattaya. Paris will do for starters, but Hamburg can join the queue...

risqué - Wiktionary
Etymology[edit]. Borrowing from French risqué, from risquer (“to risk”) ... risqué (comparative more risqué, superlative most risqué). Suggestive of sexual ...
risk·y
ˈriskē/
adjective
  1. full of the possibility of danger, failure, or loss.
    "it was much too risky to try to disarm him"
    synonyms:

dangerous, hazardous, perilous, high-risk, fraught with danger, unsafe,insecure, precarious, touch-and-go, treacherous, parlous; More

take your choice both applicable

Yeah very very risqué.. I had 2 experiences that really stick out

Dropping my wallet in men's toilet mbk with 18k in it. A thai guy ran after me and handed it over, got a 1k tip

Udon thani bus station, got into a cab but passport slid out of a bag with an open side pocket along with a book reader. Another cab didn't catch up with us until near the airport, passport in hand.. No erader but I could care less still got 1k tip

Be careful out there folks thailand is soooo dangerous..

My apologies, as an Aussie English is my second language. cheesy.gif

Anyway, Yes I meant risque.

Obviously parts of Amsterdam, London, Sydney etc are far more bawdy that parts of Thailand; however I was thinking more about Thailands overall image. The ladies (and not necessarily the obvious ones) have a world-wide reputation as being sexy and quite forward.

After talking to a few outsiders, I am not sure if this is a bad thing. It possibly attracts to Thailands personality as a tourist destination.

Dropping my wallet in men's toilet mbk with 18k in it. A thai guy ran after me and handed it over, got a 1k tip

Udon thani bus station, got into a cab but passport slid out of a bag with an open side pocket along with a book reader. Another cab didn't catch up with us until near the airport, passport in hand.. No erader but I could care less still got 1k tip

Risqué ? Dropping your wallet in the men's toilet? Is like dropping the soap?

Risqué in tourists areas. Sure. Tourists want it, massages etc so the Thais provide it.

Outside of tourist areas Thais are much more reserved generally but they are also up for a good laugh also, and quite risqué, in such things as morlam concerts, with there comedy, etc.

I remember when the Ja Turbo/ Rsaim song "Kan Hu " first came out, there were Pattaya bar girls shaking their heads in disapproval. Then Ja went on television and got a dressing down by the host, was tearful and explained she wasn't a really good singer so had to be sexy to become popular. All was forgiven and now Kan Hu is one of the staple songs you hear all the time and Ja s a superstar and just brings smiles to most.

I also am friends with one of the most outrageously over the top Thai actress/ singers. Big chest implants, provocative dresser. My more conservative Thai friends accept her "sexiness" as just part of her job.

Regarding Thais giving back money I also have had good experiences. The thaibashers are not going to believe these ones but they are true.

One time I left 100,000 in my car under the mat. Forgot it was there (I had a lot going on at the time), dropped the car of to be washed. Got back an hour or so later and the bloke washing the car handed to his boss.

Another time, eating noodle soup I handed over a 1000 baht note, it was busy and by the time I got my change the sole trader only gave me back change for 100. I told her but she was convinced I hadn't and emptied all her pockets to prove she didn't have a 1000 note on her. I was 99.9 % sure but didn't think she was trying to cheat me. I went back a week later and she said she found the 1000, was very sorry and gave me the rest of my change.

Thais often muck up the change, but I have found in most occasions it has actually been in my favor.

Nice people these Thais, but there are quite a few where mathematics isn't their strong point.

I think Thailand means different things to different people. Some think of go-go bars and massage parlours. Some think of temples, floating markets, calming retreats and exotic foods. Others think of beach bars, scuba dives and full moon parties.

Some think of go-go bars and massage parlours. Some think of temples, floating markets, calming retreats and exotic foods. Others think of beach bars, scuba dives and full moon parties...

....and some others think ... of bashing and re-bashing inexhaustibly the totality of these "Thailand things" on ThaiVisa tongue.png

I find the risqué stuff to be pretty dull, to be honest. A lot of it is the kind of predictable, juvenile sniggering that most people grow out of after about 14, often completely off-topic, and it creates an atmosphere that the forums are just for sexpats which I think probably puts some users off.

My apologies, as an Aussie English is my second language. cheesy.gif

Anyway, Yes I meant risque.

Obviously parts of Amsterdam, London, Sydney etc are far more bawdy that parts of Thailand; however I was thinking more about Thailands overall image. The ladies (and not necessarily the obvious ones) have a world-wide reputation as being sexy and quite forward.

After talking to a few outsiders, I am not sure if this is a bad thing. It possibly attracts to Thailands personality as a tourist destination.

Thailand attracted me and friends to visit in 2000 because it was risque (sexy) and adventurous and we kept returning not only for the nitelife but to explore the temples , malls, islands, mountains , beach resorts and some married Thai girls and are now retired or soon will be here. Some Thai Visa prudes say " oh Pattaya needs to be cleaned up " I say give the tourists what they want sex, fine dining, nice beaches ect can have something for everyone.

Or, the driver thought he was a Brit and hacked him for due consideration.

How are either of those situations Thailand specific? If I were you I'd be more careful. With incidents like that--not only did you drop your valuables, but you walked off without them--you are a unfortunate accident waiting to happen.

Yes back in 2013

http://nypost.com/2013/07/08/watch-bangkok-taxi-driver-hacks-american-to-death-with-samurai-sword-over-1-60-fare/