SURVEY: How bad is the economic outlook for Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: How bad is the economic outlook for Thailand  

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am not a financial expert but even I can see the world economy is in serious trouble. From my prospective as an Aussie it's been a bit hard to take when your exchange rate goes from 32.5 baht to the $ down to 24.5 baht!

What that means is the new Mitsubishi Sports I wanted, ain't gunna happen! The big screen TV, ain't gunna happen. Extraneous spending on anything ain't gunna happen.

But I guess some will be worse off than I, so I won't complain too much!

What, a wingeing Aussie? Leave it to the Poms, Sport.

That's an old chestnut which may or may not have been true for British immigrants in the past. My British sister runs a cattle farm in the outback in Queensland,she tells me that the Aussie farmers are a bunch of whiners always asking for government help. During the floods in Queensland the dirt roads leading to a tared road to the nearest small town was blocked with debris from the floods so she started to clear it up with her tractor, two men came from the town and threatened her to stop, let the government inspectors come first then the town gets more money,she refused to stop so one of the men threatened her with his dog,she calmly walked back to her tractor and pulled out a shot gun, they left.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand, any asean country is still a better bet than the EU, Russia

When Thai economy is still better than the EU, please explain me why so many Europeen can live here and so little Thai can live in the EU.

In a delusional country, caught in a web of dumb self-centeredness, denial, arrogance, hypocrisy and greed, what would you (the OP) expect to happen with the whole world tumbling towards economic limbo???

Thanks for the survey though, as it shows that we have at least 206 members here at Thai Visa who make proper use of their brains.

I am pessimistic. The government will not acknowledge the true picture, which I fear is worse than reported.

The steep drop in FDI is especially notable. This implies long term issues with recapturing economic development momentum.

The current government promotion of the "sufficiency economy" is underwhelming.

I believe there is a lot of 'massaging' of economic data

btw...how the baht has remained stable is beyond me

Everyone around us is devaluing...

Is the baht a floating currency or a face saving currency. Seems like the latter to me. Something seems to be propping it up. I watch it everyday on the TV getting stronger and stronger while other Asian currencies decline.

Thailand is like everywhere else, the rich elites get richer while everyone else struggles. It's not good for any country/economy. If the way out of recession is by spending then the majority of the people actually need some money to spend, not just the top 1% buying more designer handbags to add to their collection.

'Not much hope for a country that can't admit and address its mistakes & shortcomings and instead spends its time & resources blaming everyone else and "talking things up". Improvement, reform, adaptation & growth are what it's all about, and Thailand has totally disabled itself in these areas.

Imagine being in the position of a CEO having to justify to stockholders & market makers a decision to build or invest in Thailand right now. 'Unless you're Chinese and prospecting for a vassal state, that is...

'Not much hope for a country that can't admit and address its mistakes & shortcomings and instead spends its time & resources blaming everyone else and "talking things up". Improvement, reform, adaptation & growth are what it's all about, and Thailand has totally disabled itself in these areas.

Imagine being in the position of a CEO having to justify to stockholders & market makers a decision to build or invest in Thailand right now. 'Unless you're Chinese and prospecting for a vassal state, that is...

Yesterday I was talking with my landlord.

I said the economy is not too good in

Thailand and his reply was Thailand is doing

OK its all being caused by the other country's.

He is a well educated Thai that lived and

worked in the U.K. in the Financial sector.

for about 15 years.

Talk about putting ones head in the sand!!

Yesterday I was talking with my landlord.

I said the economy is not too good in

Thailand and his reply was Thailand is doing

OK its all being caused by the other country's.

He is a well educated Thai that lived and

worked in the U.K. in the Financial sector.

for about 15 years.

Talk about putting ones head in the sand!!

The Thai's rarely acknowledge the existence of the rest of the world except for blame when things go wrong here.

As ever it has to be someone else's fault.

This Survey needs the qualifier, " compared to other countries on the region"

The economic outlook is not good for most countries, and Thailand is not different,

but compared to others countries in the region , IMO and the opinion of others, Thailand by virtue of existing infrastructure and central location is poised to do better than most

I doubt it. The GDP for Thailand compared to the other ASEAN countries is at or just about at the bottom

another announcement on thaivisa that is categorically untrue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ASEAN_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

this would indicate thailand is 4th after singapore and brunei(to be expected), then malaysia.

but hey why let facts ruin a good argument

• 3 weeks later...