Thai man jailed for stealing three coconuts

rooster59

Thai man jailed for stealing three coconuts

post-247607-0-16976400-1457229878_thumb.

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT:-- A Thai man is in jail after he admitted stealing three coconuts to give to his pregnant wife, police confirmed on Saturday.

Police seized the three coconuts following a search of the mans house located in the Thung Song district of Nakhon Si Thammarat. The man, identified as Naruebet Petchumpol, 25, said he took the coconuts because his pregnant wife told him she wanted to eat fresh coconut meat.

Police said the man was jailed because he was unable to provide the 50,000 baht compensation demanded by the owner of the plantation where Mr Naruebet stole the coconuts.

Mr Naruebet, a father of three, who is said to earn 200 Baht a day from his labouring job at a latex factory, said he did not have 50,000 baht.

The owner of the coconut farm, Ms Aree Wongtakul, contacted police after CCTV footage captured Mr Naruebet stealing the coconuts on Thursday afternoon.

Ms Aree allegedly told police she would drop the charges if Mr Naruebet paid her 50,000 baht compensation.

Police said they tried to mediate between the two parties but Ms Aree refused to back down, despite pleas from Mr Naruebet and his family.

Ms Aree has been widely condemned in Thai media and by people commenting on the story on social media with people questioning how she could possibly ask for such a large amount of compensation when the three coconuts have an estimated value of around 60 Baht.

Mr Naruebet, remains behind bars at Thung Song court while he awaits a court appearance on Monday.

UPDATE

Thai media is reporting that Ms Aree has taken to social media to defend herself after she was criticised for demanding 50,000 baht compensation from a man who stole 3 Coconuts from her.

Ms Aree claims the suspect has stolen from her on multiple occasions and wanted to teach the man that his behaviour is not acceptable. She claimed that people should not steal and just because the items had little value, it does not make it ok to take something that does not belong to you.

She said she demanded 50,000 Baht compensation to try and teach the man a lesson.

Source: Khaosod.co.th

tvn.png

-- 2016-03-06

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real stupid to steal coconuts but the owner of the plantation is nuts too. Steal 138 million and you can go out on bail even host a TV show again. Steal 3 coconuts and you have to wait your trial behind bars.. hmmm fair justice.

Mr Naruebet, a father of three, who is said to earn 200 Baht a day from his labouring job at a latex factory,

Ms Aree allegedly told police she would drop the charges if Mr Naruebet paid her 50,000 baht compensation.

Ms Aree needs smacked.

of course had he mowed a few people down in a posh car, including a Policeman, shot somebody dead in a nightclub or stolen over 100 million baht via work then he would have been out on appeal, left alone and have ended up with a suspended sentence at worst after a few years whistling.gifcoconuts are far more serious obviously and the poor need to be shown their place.

Though on the face of it this is ridiculously over the top I did see it mentioned elsewhere that there is more history to this and is part of an ongoing dispute between the two parties with food/veg being regularly taken so maybe a bit more to this story.

and the woman probably doesnt even care how stupid shes made herself look by demanding 50,000 for 3 coconuts. she just wants to hurt the poor guy at much as possible.

i hate this worn out phrase but in this instance its another example of 'thainess' at its worst.

Real stupid to steal coconuts but the owner of the plantation is nuts too. Steal 138 million and you can go out on bail even host a TV show again. Steal 3 coconuts and you have to wait your trial behind bars.. hmmm fair justice.

This shows just how <deleted> up and skewed the legal system here is. Disgusting. And no one will change anything.

Though on the face of it this is ridiculously over the top I did see it mentioned elsewhere that there is more history to this and is part of an ongoing dispute between the two parties with food/veg being regularly taken so maybe a bit more to this story.

I can understand the guy owning the coconuts wanting to protect his plantation and I am sure the locals do steal more then a few coconuts. However a coconut resale from a plantation is just a few baht and even at 10x the price is not even close to 50.000 bt

But of course if this is needed to scare of other potential thieves and if its endemic I understand the owner a bit more. (still don't think jail time is a good thing)

Same justice as in the west,....!!!! there are numerous story's of rich people getting lenient sentences and poor people getting harsh punishments.... in every country...!!!

Regards.

Same justice as in the west,....!!!! there are numerous story's of rich people getting lenient sentences and poor people getting harsh punishments.... in every country...!!!

Regards.

Sure.. but I have even seen stories in my home country of rich people getting of worse. But here it is just a bit more extreme, no Thaibashing here.. just stating facts.

The owner of the coconut farm, Ms Aree Wongtakul, contacted police after CCTV footage captured Mr Naruebet stealing the coconuts on Thursday afternoon.

So, the real question is why didn't the cops just tell Wongtakul to mind her own business, and spend her days counting her fortune, rather than persecuting poor people? Why doesn't someone just slap the crap out of her, and tell her to accept 100 baht and let this go away? 3 coconuts? And they arrested this guy? Sure he was foolish. But poverty can drive people to do desperate things. And one would not expect this kind of hooliganism on the part of a wealthy woman like Wongtakul. What a goon she is. Does she have any idea how foolish she looks? This is her 15 minutes of fame, and the entire nation is laughing at her, and ridiculing her. She will forever be remembered as the kee know mak mak lady. She will suffer for the rest of her life, from the intense humiliation she has brought upon herself. And she is probably too simple minded to get any of this. She is just being petulant, ugly, vengeful, and over protective of her land. In her tiny mind, she probably thinks she is sending a message. Don't steal my coconuts, or you will pay a heavy price for it! I am an upper class woman. I own all this land. You cannot touch me, you cannot walk onto my land, and you certainly cannot take my precious coconuts. If you will, I will come after you with everything I have. And you know why I will do that? Because I do not have a life. I am an empty shell of a woman. I am of no value to my community. I have never devoted a single moment to doing anything positive, or creative, or charitable, or kind, for my community, or my people. That is who I am. I am a scrooge. I am a freak. I am a no good woman, who have no value to anyone. I am a monster. What a goombah she is. What a local goliath. What a waste of oxygen. Someone needs to give this woman a very, very swift kick in the ass, and slap her around, and lecture her on how vastly she has failed her mission in life.

Regards.

Sure.. but I have even seen stories in my home country of rich people getting of worse. But here it is just a bit more extreme, no Thaibashing here.. just stating facts.

If this went to court in Europe the judge would ask how the Bht 50,000 is justified. It cant be justified and the judge would throw it out of court with a warning to the accused not to do it again

One can only wish that the plantation owner will be walking in among it when a coconut (or many) falls from the tree, hopefully knocking some human decency into the <deleted>

Regards.

yes,.Wen rich or powerful people get of worse by justice it's often because they pissed of more rich and powerful people....!!!

Archived