Thai man jailed for stealing three coconuts

rooster59

Your all missing the point! The reason she asked for 50.000 is because she knows a guy who earns 200baht a day can't pay it so will have to go to jail.

And don't forget that hes a thief no matter what his reasons for stealing. I'm sure she gets a lot of theft from her plantation, hence the CCTV so I think she is making an example to all the other people and I'm sure there' are many who steal from her plantation, and that she has had enough and anyone caught wont get a slap on the wrist but will go straight to jail. If he wanted coconuts he should buy them like everyone else or else get a better paying job.

Myself and the majority are not missing the point at all. The point I see is you have the same attitude as the old bag in question.

Some of you need to have some empathy for your fellow humans.

I doubt any if you have ever or could live on $120 US a month. And he has a family no less!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real stupid to steal coconuts but the owner of the plantation is nuts too. Steal 138 million and you can go out on bail even host a TV show again. Steal 3 coconuts and you have to wait your trial behind bars.. hmmm fair justice.

Same justice as in the west,....!!!! there are numerous story's of rich people getting lenient sentences and poor people getting harsh punishments.... in every country...!!!

Regards.

No, it's not the same justice:

Spain's Princess Cristina tried for fraud - BBC News

Princess Anne prosecuted after dog attacks couple in park ...

Boozy German princess fined £1000 after nearly-naked ...

If you want to go back 15 years in the UK then look here when a peer of the realm and a millionaire was jailed for libel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1424501.stm

Is demanding 50,000 for three coconuts not extortion and a crime itself?

Sadly it seems compassion and humility is slowly being eroded in society. Being substituted by greed and selfishness.

Seems like extortion. I'd be filing a counter charge.

What strange perspectives so many have. Coconut Plantation? That implies a vast area with waving palms casting down green golden nuggets to the immaculate gounds of a impressive mansion? Or a couple of rai with a small dwelling. And at 3 or 5 Bht per coconut it would be an impressive casting down to equivilate the other party's regular 200 Bht per day. So perhaps there is no greedy old witch and hard done by poor working man with more children than he can afford and a doting pregnant wife.

Maybe he is also a habitual thief who has no respect and her demand for 50,000 was in recompense for a historical total?

And although the RTP attempted a civil end to the situation she is pissed enough to insist on pressing charges.

So he is now remanded awaiting a court appearance. Not jailed which implies already convicted and sentenced.

Citing the manipulations of the actual rich and influencial ( not exclusive to Thailand ) as some excuse for not following legal procedure if a complainant insists is an arguement for perpetuating exactly what ii is so many complain about of Thailand.

You can't keep your cake and eat it !

I think the woman is completely over reacting but I also think this 25 year old moron should zip up his pants with a 4 th child on the way. What the f. He makes no money but keeps having kids stupid!!

The guy has as many rights as the next person to father more children irrespective of his income,maybe the people running the country should be doing more to change that.

Back on topic,typical have against the have not's,completely over the top and shows how ridiculous Thailand can be regarding the treatment of its citizens,especially the poor.

This was an offer to drop charges - as is common in Thailand - police negotiate such to avoid court/jail/investigation and often as a way to keep both parties happy with result. If you want charges to be pressed you refuse or set an amount that is high and then normal legal proceedings take place which may be investigation, evidence, lawyers, judge and verdict.

if somebody is regularly stealing from me, and i buy a cctv just because or this thieve, of course i would charge him for the price of the cctv , plus my wasted time. 60 baht every day is 20.000 in just 1 year, who knows, how many years that is going on?

Surely the man should get an official caution of some description. Since when do the general public dictate police policy, ok she wants to press charges but the severity of the punishment should fit the crime.

If she wants to demand 50,000 in compensation this should be a civil dispute, it should not determine whether or not the police lock him up.

Very stupid justice system. Ok the man was wrong for sure, and the owner may be right that he had stolen many times before and he deserved to be taught a lesson but he has a pregnant wife and little money coming in.

Thai justice, what can you say..

" but he has a pregnant wife and little money coming in".. an excuse to remove items not from you property?

I didn't say that, stealing is stealing and is of course wrong. What I am saying is it is petty theft, not a major haul and punishment should fit the crime. It does not make sense to lock a man up for such a petty crime, especially when he has a wife and baby to support.

This was an offer to drop charges - as is common in Thailand - police negotiate such to avoid court/jail/investigation and often as a way to keep both parties happy with result. If you want charges to be pressed you refuse or set an amount that is high and then normal legal proceedings take place which may be investigation, evidence, lawyers, judge and verdict.

It's nonsense though isn't it. Yes, the victim can say that they want to press charges but that doesn't mean the punishment suddenly becomes disproportionately severe. How does nicking a few coconuts warrant jail time? Of course it doesn't, a slap on the wrist and a Police caution.

The Police should be telling the victim that it has been dealt with appropriately according to the letter of the law and that he has been given and official warning, enough...

The cause of legal action and proceedings should not be driven by the victim in such a trivial matter.

CRIMINAL CODE B.E. 2499

Section 334 Whoever, dishonestly taking away the thing of other person or which the other person to be co-owner to be said to commit the theft, shall be imprisoned not out of three years and fined not out of six thousand Baht.

Section 335 Whoever commits theft under any of the following circumstances:

12. Upon a thing belonging to an agriculturist, which is a product, plant, animal or implement possessed for the purpose of carrying on agricultural pursuit or acquired from such agricultural pursuit,

Shall be punished with imprisonment of one to five years and fined of two thousand to ten thousand Baht.

Source

However I believe the plantation had 4 trees. The one in question is near the pigsty according to reports. It may be that this is not an agricultural pursuit but a garden theft.

Your all missing the point! The reason she asked for 50.000 is because she knows a guy who earns 200baht a day can't pay it so will have to go to jail.

And don't forget that hes a thief no matter what his reasons for stealing. I'm sure she gets a lot of theft from her plantation, hence the CCTV so I think she is making an example to all the other people and I'm sure there' are many who steal from her plantation, and that she has had enough and anyone caught wont get a slap on the wrist but will go straight to jail. If he wanted coconuts he should buy them like everyone else or else get a better paying job.

Myself and the majority are not missing the point at all. The point I see is you have the same attitude as the old bag in question.

Some of you need to have some empathy for your fellow humans.

I doubt any if you have ever or could live on $120 US a month. And he has a family no less!

Maybe he should have waited until he could afford to look after his kids before having them!

A decade ago, I was a volunteer in essarn.... live up by a water melon patch...I admit.. I horked two.. the next day.. there were two large water melons on my desk.. never did it again..

Could someone a little more tech savvy than I provide a link to the plantation owner's social media site? I think it would be best not to vent our opinions on this forum, which I am sure she doesn't read...but to flood her inbox and other media outlets to illuminate this travesty...let's make it a point to annoy and embarrass her until she does the right thing...the guy should pay for the property and perhaps a fine...not bankrupt his family...

the sentence for this crime in thailand is 1-5 years, he is an ex-convict, so he will surely get 2 years, maybe parole after 1 year.in thailand, the victim decides, if someone is punished or not, if the victim does nor file charges for robbery, severy injury, the police cannot punish him.

But that is the point. Just because she demands some amount should not equate to a jail sentence! Need a judge or a civil ruling that the man owes her money. You can't be incarcerating somebody just because you want it done.

Archived