More foreigners caught on overstay

webfact

More foreigners caught on overstay
By Boonlua Chatree

PATTAYA: -- With only weeks left before Thailand begins blacklisting foreigners who overstay their visas for up to 10 years, the Immigration Bureau has stepped up efforts to find people here illegally.

A day after a Russian and Briton were arrested for a combined four years in overstay, Chonburi Immigration officers captured two Vietnamese and a Syrian on visa and work permit offenses.

Syrian Alla Mzeal, 30, was found walking near Soi 18 and Second Road on Feb. 25. He had overstayed 487 days.

Officers checking the Por U-Yen Restaurant in Naklua encountered a couple they initially assumed to be Thai but grew suspicious due to their accent.

It turned out the couple - Huy Thinh Nguyen, 28, and Thi Duong Tlan, 36, were charged with working illegally without a work permit.

The Immigration Bureau will begin blacklisting foreigners who overstay their visas starting March 20.

Full story: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/more-foreigners-caught-on-overstay-56365

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-03-07 footer_n.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Syrian Alla Mzeal, 30, was found walking near Soi 18 and Second Road on Feb. 25. He had overstayed 487 days.

So they are now stopping people at random in the streets ?

Nice and friendly, how many tourists were stopped before they

come up with this guy ? ( crime of the century ) coffee1.gif

It could be a bit like a Magic show.

You don't see what the other hand is up to. whistling.gif

Edited by onemorechang

So overstay 4 years is a soft crime then?

To me it shows complete contempt. Do it in Aus or USA and see if you get a slap on the wrist and told naughty boy

So these people are staying in Thailand illegally and the authorities actually do something about it.

You are complaining about THAT ?

I think you have your priorities skewed and you are firing your bullets in the wrong direction.

its a big nothing. coffee1.gif

Loads more impotent things could be done.

one big zero coffee1.gif

A country actually starting to enforce it's laws is something more than a "big nothing".

It won't last, I am sure, but any law enforcement is a step in the right direction in Thailand.

To me it shows complete contempt. Do it in Aus or USA and see if you get a slap on the wrist and told naughty boy

Well, for us that live in civilized contries and not in USA we obviously not understand how you think.

USA is a country that was invaded by immigrants in the first place and now they are afraid that immigrants will come to "their" country.

Overstay is not a big crime, and the people overstaying really doesn't hurt anyone else than themself. (If theyre not criminals obviously)

I would never want to go and always look behind my shoulder like they do. But thats their choise and if they get caught its no one to blame than themself.

A crime, yes.

A serious crime and contempt? No. Only for americans.

one big zero coffee1.gif

A country actually starting to enforce it's laws is something more than a "big nothing".

It won't last, I am sure, but any law enforcement is a step in the right direction in Thailand.

Be careful what you wish for.

I chose to live in Thailand to get away from the

crazy rules and regulations of the country i come from.

Thailand is a wonderful land of tolerance.

Lets keep it that way, for the minor stuff. wai2.gif

Well, for us that live in civilized contries and not in USA we obviously not understand how you think.

USA is a country that was invaded by immigrants in the first place and now they are afraid that immigrants will come to "their" country.

Overstay is not a big crime, and the people overstaying really doesn't hurt anyone else than themself. (If theyre not criminals obviously)

I would never want to go and always look behind my shoulder like they do. But thats their choise and if they get caught its no one to blame than themself.

A crime, yes.

And soon to be a crime in most of europe

I'd say good job by the immigration police. They can probably catch 100 overstayers every day if they want to .

Edited by balo

No doubt it is Thailand's fault that these low life foreigners have overstayed.

Amazing that for some on here Thailand is such a corrupt, despicable place to live yet so many are illegal overstays.

Don't tell me they have been made to stay here against their will, and they recently have managed to escape their captors and now wish to return to some grotty little council slum in the UK, where life is much lighter and brighter, and we all hold hands and skip through sun drenched meadows with not a care in the world.

Yes that must be it!

Edited by Alan Jazeera

Yeah' or so it seems in the UK. Get caught working slap on wrist let back on the streets - disappear its the usual modus operandi for illegal immigrants!!!!!!!

A crime, yes.

Brilliant my friend and wholeheartedly agree with your opinion !!!!!!

one big zero coffee1.gif

No it is not a big nothing.

Amongst the many long term overstayers I bet you'd find a lot of real criminals.

I feel that people who could have renewed their visas are stupid for staying here on lengthy overstays, but they made that choice and now need to deal with it.

However, real criminals who are here and cannot renew their visa because of their 'activities' etc, well they deserve everything that comes to them.

In my time here the few people I've met who are on overstays have been pretty scuzzy individuals anyway who knew full well they were taking the piss out of the system, not the high class type of tourists that Thailand wants.

The *only* thing I think is wrong is that there needs to be some form of appeal process for people who genuinely couldn't leave.... medical reasons being the only excuse.

one big zero coffee1.gif

Who determines what is 'minor stuff'? The offenders?

If police started investigating whether retirees really have 800k in savings at all times or 65k monthly income for their visa extensions, instead of using various tricks and loopholes to get around the requirements, half the forum would be up in arms saying oh it's so minor, not really a serious crime etc. etc.

It's a shame, If you have a problem with distinguishing between Major and Minor crimes. I cant help you there, sorry.

Just a hint

Common seance would be a good startling point. coffee1.gif

Edited by onemorechang

If police started investigating whether retirees really have 800k in savings at all times or 65k monthly income for their visa extensions, instead of using various tricks and loopholes to get around the requirements, half the forum would be up in arms saying oh it's so minor, not really a serious crime etc. etc.

You don't need it at ALL TIMES only 3 months before renewal.

You don't even need to show that you spend one baht after renewal

You don't need it at ALL TIMES only 3 months before renewal.

You don't even need to show that you spend one baht after renewal

Many don't really have the funds at all, even for 3 months. They use loan companies.

If I was to call those people 'criminals' because technically they're doing something unlawful, and say it isn't a minor, victimless crime because it could somehow result in Thailand making things harder for me, even though I'm not a retiree, I'd be laughed off the forum. Or if I said 'no sympathy for them!' if they were caught and had their visa revoked / had to leave Thailand.

(I don't believe those things, just making an analogy).

I feel that this victimless crime and the overall suspicion and hatred(?) towards foreigners is going to make this place more and more unpopular. Word spreads when guys taking care of their families but not being able to do all the necessary paperwork and travel for it get kicked out...

...er...thinking about it...maybe I should overstay and get deported for a loooong time...would save me a pretty penny... wai.gif

I feel that this victimless crime and the overall suspicion and hatred(?) towards foreigners is going to make this place more and more unpopular. Word spreads when guys taking care of their families but not being able to do all the necessary paperwork and travel for it get kicked out...

...er...thinking about it...maybe I should overstay and get deported for a loooong time...would save me a pretty penny... wai.gif

Yes maybe a good way out of a relationship in the future.

Face saver all round thumbsup.gif