Simple question – for a Visa Expert!

This is the first single tourist visa applied for.

I am making an application in Penang for a single Tourist visa on Monday 14th March.

I will re-enter back into Thailand on Monday 21st March.

Question:

What will be the (60 days) “Admitted until” date stamp be calculated from:

A. Application / Visa issue date - Monday 14th March? - Or

B. The re-enter date into Thailand - Monday 21st March?

Immigration says the opposite

When extending my TR visa they counted from the date of ISSUE not the entering date.

I tried to say it should be from the entering date, they would not have it.

Which immigration office ?

All extensions are are based on the date of entry which is clearly stamped in the passport and on the departure card.

When extending my TR visa they counted from the date of ISSUE not the entering date.

Perhaps that was an entry using a tourist visa that allowed more than one entry which is not an extension and your visa had expired which prevented you from using your visa for another entry. The visas validity starts from the date of issue.

Nope my visa had not expired and I was extending my 60 days for a further 30 days.

They would not consider the entry date, but the issue date

If you are applying for an extension of stay the only date that counts is the 'admitted until' date that is stamped in your passport. The extension applies from this date and the entry date or issue dates are irrelevant.

Nope my visa had not expired and I was extending my 60 days for a further 30 days.

Impossible - unless you had been in country for less than 30 days when applying for the extension, else the 30 day extension would have only allowed you permission to stay up until some point in the past !

----------------------------------

The two dates are different things.

If you get a single entry tourist visa it may be valid for 90 days from its date of issue.

That is often entered when you get the visa as the "must enter before" date or possibly the "must use before" date

When you enter Thailand they will stamp s "permitted to stay" stay stamp in your passport for a 60 day stay.

But if you try to get a 30 day extension on the 91st day of your visa validity they will NOT give you that 30 day extension because your visa expired on the 90th day.....you are one day late.

----------------------------------

If you get a single entry tourist visa it may be valid for 90 days from its date of issue.

That is often entered when you get the visa as the "must enter before" date or possibly the "must use before" date

When you enter Thailand they will stamp s "permitted to stay" stay stamp in your passport for a 60 day stay.

But if you try to get a 30 day extension on the 91st day of your visa validity they will NOT give you that 30 day extension because your visa expired on the 90th day.....you are one day late.

Nonsense!

Once a SETV is used to enter the country (its one and only purpose) the visa used, no longer valid or of any further use. It is the "admitted until" date which is extended not the visa.

If what you say is true (it is not!) anyone entering the country one day prior to a SETV expiring would never be given an extension of stay ----------------------.

Wrong info. The visas expiration date means nothing once your enter the country. You can enter the country on the last day the visa is valid and get a 60 day entry and then extend it for 30 days.

It the same for any visa entry. I had a single entry non-o visa that expired over 7 years ago and I have I have extended the 90 entry from it 8 times already.

If you are applying for an extension of stay the only date that counts is the 'admitted until' date that is stamped in your passport. The extension applies from this date and the entry date or issue dates are irrelevant.

Yep, thats what I thought too.

But not anymore

I tried to say that to IO in CW he would not have it

Yep, thats what I thought too.

But not anymore

I tried to say that to IO in CW he would not have it

Did you leave CW with an extra 30 day stay?

how did you get 28 days from the day you entered as you already had 60 days from the day you entered.

Kinda a neat puzzle. Assuming he got the extension on, say, day 40 of his 60 day permission of stay, then his new permission of stay -- means he's now 12 days into overstay. Ah, more fine money for the police charity. (Or, maybe we're having a Chang moment.....)