The 2016 Songkran FAQ & discussion topic

JSixpack

I just discovered I need to visit immigration in Jomtien next week , will they stay open all week ?

From the FAQ:

Immigration normally follows Thai official holidays and so will be closed the 13th - 15th. You may call and check: 038 252 750. So will the Post Office. At no time will the "boarders" (to use forum spelling convention acquired from past lodgings) with neighboring countries be closed.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm staying in Pattaya for Songkran, but I fancy getting away from the madness in the daytime during the last few days. Can anyone suggest somewhere pleasant and not too far away where Songkran will be over on the 15th so I can go there on 16th-19th without inbreds throwing water all over the place? I was thinking of Ban Chang, or maybe Bang Saen, but I've no idea of their Songkran customs. I just want to spend the afternoon somewhere quiet (and dry), maybe eat some food and enjoy a glass of wine, perhaps even take the dog with me.

Any suggestions?

I'm staying in Pattaya for Songkran, but I fancy getting away from the madness in the daytime during the last few days. Can anyone suggest somewhere pleasant and not too far away where Songkran will be over on the 15th so I can go there on 16th-19th without inbreds throwing water all over the place? I was thinking of Ban Chang, or maybe Bang Saen, but I've no idea of their Songkran customs. I just want to spend the afternoon somewhere quiet (and dry), maybe eat some food and enjoy a glass of wine, perhaps even take the dog with me.

Any suggestions?

From the FAQ; check out poster ceek on Bang Saray in the If you can't leave the country section:

Any suggestions?

From the FAQ; check out poster ceek on Bang Saray in the If you can't leave the country section:

Thanks for the link, I knew that day 20 is the Sattahip/Bang Saray big day, so I'd assumed that prior to that they'd also be chucking water about to some extent as in Pattaya. I suppose I could start out at Bang Saray and if it's wet there then head on to Ban Chang.

The kind people of jomtien immigration have requested my presence on the 19th. Any tips, driving (car) Naklua->jomtien? Leave early I suppose. Are roads actually closed or just gridlocked? Thinking backstreets to Sukhumvit slow crawl to threpassit, slower crawl to jomtien, abandon / sleep in car. Or if I leave before 8 could I dash straight there? Normally, if I'm here, I don't wander farther than drunk stagger distance from the condo on the main days...

The kind people of jomtien immigration have requested my presence on the 19th. Any tips, driving (car) Naklua->jomtien? Leave early I suppose. Are roads actually closed or just gridlocked? Thinking backstreets to Sukhumvit slow crawl to threpassit, slower crawl to jomtien, abandon / sleep in car. Or if I leave before 8 could I dash straight there? Normally, if I'm here, I don't wander farther than drunk stagger distance from the condo on the main days...

Gridlocked. If you must, leave very early, the earlier the better. Best: leave around 12 AM, check into the hotel nearest Immigration. :) Get to the office early. Lots of Songkran hooliganism around the bars but also from passing trucks, so be prepared. Consider spending the 19th in the hotel rather than attempting to drive back.

It' 's already started I'm afraid , stay away from soi 6 and 7 tonight , according to my source who took these pictures.

Just looking at those cretins is depressing. Glad I left and am enjoying lovely hospitality elsewhere. :)

Wonder if the police will confiscate the PVC pipes this year. That was a welcome improvement from the safety standpoint.

Guess this seems to answer the questions re: will the gov't try to force conservation of water or curtail activity in Pattaya. Off to the usual start.

I wonder if Central will be accessible from any direction today?

The 12th is usually not bad. Getting there you can avoid Sois 7 - 8, the worst area. Come in from 3rd Rd, go Soi Chaiyapoon and Diana to 2nd. The bars on Soi Diana and between Soi Diana & Central are normally less popular during the day. If you're in a car, getting out is the issue as you'll have to pass by 7-8. Stay on the right side to avoid the worst. If you're on a bike you can consider driving like a Thai and going the wrong way on Soi 9 or 2nd Rd. wink.png As you know Central opens at 11 so the earlier in & out the better.

Last year the traffic was not yet bad on the 12th.

Just throwin' that out for ya. Good luck.

Edited by JSixpack

The 12th is usually not bad. Getting there you can avoid Sois 7 - 8, the worst area. Come in from 3rd Rd, go Soi Chaiyapoon and Diana to 2nd. The bars on Soi Diana and between Soi Diana & Central are normally less popular during the day. If you're in a car, getting out is the issue as you'll have to pass by 7-8. Stay on the right side to avoid the worst. If you're on a bike you can consider driving like a Thai and going the wrong way on Soi 9 or 2nd Rd. wink.png As you know Central opens at 11 so the earlier in & out the better.

Actually 2nd Rd from Pattaya Thai is free of beer bars until you hit Tim's. I'm thinking more my usual route from the north.

Buddies coming in from the airport on Wednesday night, with destination hotel on Soi 10. What can his taxi expect in the way of jams between 7 pm and 8 pm between Highway 7 and Second? Maybe sneak in from the north, via Naklua?

I'm just about to take a bike trip from Pratumnak Road (Hill) to Banglamung post office. Let's see how this goes... It's a nice sunny day for it.biggrin.png

Buddies coming in from the airport on Wednesday night, with destination hotel on Soi 10. What can his taxi expect in the way of jams between 7 pm and 8 pm between Highway 7 and Second? Maybe sneak in from the north, via Naklua?

No firm predictions but in past years the traffic starts building up on the 16th. A lot of us cesspoolians have left town. BKK Thais have gone upcountry, not to Pattaya. It's too early for the invasion from surrounding towns. So you're basically left with hardcore hooligans at the bars, who may cause jams among low-season tourists, the oblivious, and working unfortunates; but then again knowledgeable drivers will be avoiding them.

Naklua Rd. has beer bars and the smaller number of hooligans will already be active. And you'll likely be going down Beach Rd from there--good thing your buddies will be inside a taxi.

There are backroad ways but likely too complex unless you know PTY well. Could come down Pattaya Nua, turn on 3rd Rd, turn on Chaiyapoon to Buakhao, go down Soi 15 behind The Avenue, come out on 2nd, then to Soi 10.

South Pattaya Rd to 2nd Rd would surely be free of any jam but of course farther.

Edited by JSixpack

I had to drive from Jomtien via Suk to Naklua early afternoon today around 2 pm and almost no traffic to talk about, just like a normal day but less cars on the road. But I have not returned yet so we'll se how it goes in a couple of hours.

Idiots already soaking Baht Bus passengers on Soi Buakhao at 11.00.

Discovered that Kasikorn is closed 13 & 14.

Has anyone found out for sure when Jomtien Immigration is open please?

I was there yesterday.

The sign on the door indicated that they will be closed for 2 days only, open again on the 15th.

Idiots already soaking Baht Bus passengers on Soi Buakhao at 11.00.

Discovered that Kasikorn is closed 13 & 14.

I thought they'd be starting up there soon. It looks like getting to Central dry will be impossible until the 20th.

Harbor Mall should be easy as I can get there without passing beer bar areas.

I was there yesterday.

The sign on the door indicated that they will be closed for 2 days only, open again on the 15th.

Thank you Sir.