Smog on Koh Chang

junglechef

Planning on escaping the burning season in Chiang Mai with a family vacation on the island and maybe some time on the mainland in Chanthaburi and Cambodia.

Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on the subject.

Thanks,

JC

I see the air quality ratings are twice as good in Rayong as Chiang Mai this morning so I guess it's relative.

Do you mean everywhere on the island they are burning so the breathing is difficult like here in Chiang Mai?

Dont bother smog is everywhere , thanks to constant burn offs.

Everywhere? 5 yrs in Chan this April, still waiting for burnoffs everywhere. Coastal mainly prawn and fish farm, elsewhere it's fruit, some rubber. Need to go further north Sa Kaeo province to find much rice or sugar

tumblr_o0vpgxkzZe1r8w5s5o3_1280.jpg

Approaching peak fruit season, durian time!

tumblr_nyx2olDIxa1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen

OP here again, as I'm coming for health reasons to protect my family from the ill effects of the polution up north the view is not my primary concern.

I'm am interested in finding out if the smoke on the island inhibits one's breathing, makes your eyes water and that kind of thing.

Can anyone who has been there in April help me out and tell me.

Thanks

JC

I didn't have any problems like that. Even here in Pattaya, it can get really bad. Visibility less than 1km at times. Really seems to vary depending on how close the burns are to you.

Interesting research. Seems there are lots of real time webcams out there. Try a search for webcams thailand. The one on Koh Chang is fair, but a few others seem to be OK.

http://camteria.com/en/webcam/swimming-pool-regent-chalet-hotel_cam_3981#lat=12.710098541799072&lng=99.96313381195088&z=15&v=Google&mt=map

http://cocodeebokohchang.com/koh-chang-webcams/webcam-2

http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/1242036026-Weather-Koh-Mak-island%2C-Thailand-%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%94

OP here again, as I'm coming for health reasons to protect my family from the ill effects of the polution up north the view is not my primary concern.

I'm am interested in finding out if the smoke on the island inhibits one's breathing, makes your eyes water and that kind of thing.

Can anyone who has been there in April help me out and tell me.

Thanks

JC

Dont bother smog is everywhere , thanks to constant burn offs.

Everywhere? 5 yrs in Chan this April, still waiting for burnoffs everywhere. Coastal mainly prawn and fish farm, elsewhere it's fruit, some rubber. Need to go further north Sa Kaeo province to find much rice or sugar

tumblr_o0vpgxkzZe1r8w5s5o3_1280.jpg

Approaching peak fruit season, durian time!

tumblr_nyx2olDIxa1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Looks good. Beautiful pictures. - Produced last year?

Any idea about the real situation these days?

Or in April which was the OP-question?

Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...

Chao Lao, Chanthaburi, yesterday

Rate as 'light haze'?

AccuWeather had temp at 35C, humidity 80%, visibility 16km, wind 2km/h

Expect about same today, though wind may gust to 4km/h!

As per post #5, can vary day to day.

I understand much of the smoke haze is from a peat swamp forest fire south of here in Trat province, closer to Koh Chang, has been contained but left to burn since 1 March

tumblr_o4d6w1nQCq1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen

Thanks very informative.

I'm actually am also in Chao Lao too, got here Thursday night and like it so much I rented a great little cottage big enough for my family of 5 for 1700 bht/night for the week.

I find it overcast in the morning, perfect for cycling on the extensive paved bike paths in the area, and sunny in the afternoon when we are on the beach.

Seems like it's just morning haze that burns off, easy to breath etc but guess maybe coming from Chiang Mai any reasonable air quality seems fresh.

As we are next heading to Koh Chang and then onwards to Cambodia we'll have to just see what it's like as we go.

Any more info appreciated and happy to answer anyone's questions too.

JC

Hi

Enjoy your stay

Just a few ideas

From CL go straight rather than right at the dugong roundabout

About 2km you're at Laem Sadet. On the right a large conservation area, 1.6km of raised boardwalk through mangroves, cool in the shade, there's an observation tower if you fancy a few steps. Unsure about midweek but there may be kayak hire also available

The estuary, Khung Krabaen, is approx 3x2 km and safe kayaking, just a small entrance to the sea

At Laem Sadet there's the aquarium (free) good if you've got kids with you (though I like it too)

Generally recommend against swimming here though, deep quickly, better off at Chao Lao

After the conservation area, follow the little road on the right, dead end takes you to a pier, also here is a marine education centre (free) has walkways and netted enclosures for a variety of fish, and turtles here for rehabilitation after being injured/caught in nets

tumblr_o0vp5pA4Rz1r8w5s5o1_540.jpg

Across the other side of the estuary is Khung Wiman, quiet beach and several viewpoints on the hills, about 10km drive from CL

Plenty of ideas here http://chanthaburi.tumblr.com

Edited by gomangosteen

Excellent, great stuff to keep kids busy.

We're are staying on Laem Sadet, the beach is expansive and great for the kids as they love the waves.

Plan on checking out the places you suggest and maybe the dolphin show, though I morally oppose such places. Anyone been and know how "bad" it is?

Thanks for the excellent reply!

That raised walk is great fun. Nice observation tower also. I'm also against dolphin shows. Most don't last long in captivity and are generally captured from the wild. Pretty bad.

What hotel did you get that room at? Sounds great!!!

Yea we all felt sick as usual this time of yr and fled as usual.

Staying at B&B Huts, very Thai family style place, with emphasis of family, lots of kids and no loud music or groups drinking.

Nice ppl, restaurant that has all the usual and lots of seafood and

fresh fruit etc and they lent us stuff to cook for ourselves on the bbq ea. cabin has.

Little pool and just across their wooden bridge is a quiet beach that they have chair and tables and will serve food etc. Great Wifi, air con and lots of Thai cable tv on flat screens

Everyone friendly and easy, very relaxing with no nonsense sometimes one can come across.

Went to Marine Education Center but they said the "Turtle Sanctuary" was just a tourist attraction, but they farm oysters and sell them, we ate ours right there watching the penned sharks. They do raise crabs for release though. Nice place anyhow.

Decided on skipping the Dolphin Show but I love the websites says "The dolphins are mainly those accidentally caught in fishermans nets in the Gulf of Thailand. Trained by Thai experts, they are now capable of showing off their high degree of ability".

Went to Mangrove Swamp and Aquarium too, both also free and worth a visit esp as it's all so easy and few people.

Large cycling community and lots of visitors seem to also come to ride judging by the cars loaded with bike.

I've ridden on the bike paths everyday, seen lots of the area and will ride out to Ko Proet for breakfast tomorrow, around 70 km round trip.

Off to Koh Chang Thursday, thanks for the interest.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I think so if it's what my GPS calls "Ko Perit"

Interesting facts you supplied and I found the town to be very old school and quaint.

I just picked this destination that seemed like a good place for a breakfast stop, nice ride!

post-101742-0-24296300-1461467864_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, can you tell me if it's easy to go from Koh chang to Koh kuud or koh maak ? Cheap regular boats or need to book a private speedboat ?

And from the mainland, is it possible to go directly to any island ?

Sorry, but also wondering when it will be cloudy most day without heavy rain ? I have the pure sun but like cloudy sky without 24 hours rain (few hours a day is good!)

Thank you so much.