Drought and Pattaya - What?

WitawatWatawit

After reading this - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/901123-thai-govt-continues-to-seek-cooperation-from-people-to-save-water-during-dry-season/ - I am wondering just what the water supply situation is for the Pattaya/Jomtien area. I don't recall seeing any kind of comment from our illustrious district authorities of late, so should we presume that no news is good news? blink.pngblink.png

I went for a drive around Huay Chak Nok and Mabpracharn yesterday - the first looks only about a third full over a year or so ago. Mabpracharn looks reasonable - perhaps half full, do you think? But how long can that water last?

Harking back to a year or so ago, both these lakes were full (and looked magnificent), but it didn't seem to take long for them to run down, so I wonder if, in their present condition, there is enough water to last until the next rainy season! I recall last year that some official said if Mabpracharn got too low, water would be diverted into it from (I think) Chachoengsao and Trat.

Has anyone spoken to any official? You know, the one whose turn it is to not answer the phone. Or read something I may have missed?

This is the first year of what will be a 3 to 4 year drought , which is being caused by the El Nino effect now on the Pacific. When the wet weather gets pushed to the north east of the Pacific it leaves most of Southeast Asia in a drought, same cycle occurred about 10 years ago. So this year might be ok but the coming years might be questionable. If the northern Part of Thailand is any type of guideline then we are already in trouble as numerous villages throughout Isaac are now using water which is being trucked into them and there reservoirs have been empty since last November/ December.

Last time Pattaya had a water problem it affected areas of the dark side and Jomtien. Knowing this country and how they are so good at planning ahead, I would say its safe to assume that sometime in the near future some of the city will have water problems.

And if they did have water problems they certainly won't tell the public the full truth as they don't want to scare away any potential tourists.

I keep a large plastic barrel in the shower area filled and covered just in case.

This is the first year of what will be a 3 to 4 year drought , which is being caused by the El Nino effect now on the Pacific. When the wet weather gets pushed to the north east of the Pacific it leaves most of Southeast Asia in a drought, same cycle occurred about 10 years ago. So this year might be ok but the coming years might be questionable. If the northern Part of Thailand is any type of guideline then we are already in trouble as numerous villages throughout Isaac are now using water which is being trucked into them and there reservoirs have been empty since last November/ December.

Last time Pattaya had a water problem it affected areas of the dark side and Jomtien. Knowing this country and how they are so good at planning ahead, I would say its safe to assume that sometime in the near future some of the city will have water problems.

And if they did have water problems they certainly won't tell the public the full truth as they don't want to scare away any potential tourists.

I keep a large plastic barrel in the shower area filled and covered just in case.

All the information I have heard is that we are going out of an El Nino cycle and into a neutral cycle.

All the information I have heard is that we are going out of an El Nino cycle and into a neutral cycle.

please refer to a recent study released,

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/.../enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

this is one excerpt from the article.

ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory El Niño conditions are present.*

Positive equatorial sea surface temperature (SST) anomalies continue across most of the Pacific Ocean.

A transition to ENSO-neutral is likely during late Northern Hemisphere spring or early summer 2016, with a possible transition to La Niña conditions during the fall.*

I only believe positive outlooks tongue.png

NOAA had correctly predicted the catastrophic ElNino in early 2015 (while the Thai oxen vodoo was "all normal" wink.png ).

So I want to believe in their predictions that it will go back to normal until mid year.

The country would get in big trouble if the situation of 2015 would repeat.

Desaster would be a harmless word.

Pattaya: in late autumn or so there were announcements that the reservoirs could be become critical until Dec 2015.

Lucky enough there were some heavy (off seasonal) downpours which saved the situation.

And: just thinking whether is was in February (?) that Pattaya got flooded like you see it in rainy season.

Quite unusual but good for water supply.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I only believe positive outlooks tongue.png

NOAA had correctly predicted the catastrophic ElNino in early 2015 (while the Thai oxen vodoo was "all normal" wink.png ).

So I want to believe in their predictions that it will go back to normal until mid year.

The country would get in big trouble if the situation of 2015 would repeat.

Desaster would be a harmless word.

Pattaya: in late autumn or so there were announcements that the reservoirs could be become critical until Dec 2015.

Lucky enough there were some heavy (off seasonal) downpours which saved the situation.

And: just thinking whether is was in February (?) that Pattaya got flooded like you see it in rainy season.

Quite unusual but good for water supply.

Only good if there were enough downpours further inland than Mabprachan and Charnork. If the clouds all bursted as soon as they hit the coast, all the precious rain just ran into the sea.

I remember the last big drought in Pattaya and it was the foot up the bum the authorities needed. They built a big pipeline to feed Pattaya, not sure where from but it seemed to work. It was in 2005 and I was living in Nirun Condo, management there were drilling for water right alongside the biggest block, i was worried it would come down. I think this drought is a lot bigger than the last one as it is already affecting central areas. I live in Surin and are fortunate in that our 2 main reservoirs are full.

Having enough raw water is one thing but being able to treat it before delivery to the customer is another. I understand that Pattaya's water treatment plant is vastly overworked and and the PWA is in need of another and that funds to build one have been refused.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-looks-to-private-sector-to-fund-new-water-treatment-plant-43679

Chak Nork and Mabpracharn are not the primary water reservoirs for Pattaya.

As I understand it, Mabpracharn is the main conduit for Pattaya's water supply. The other lakes and reservoirs (I believe there are 4 or 5) just feed into it. So, what is the state of those 4 or 5? These are issues we'd like to know about. Have they been emptied to make Mabpracharn look good?

Wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

Having enough raw water is one thing but being able to treat it before delivery to the customer is another. I understand that Pattaya's water treatment plant is vastly overworked and and the PWA is in need of another and that funds to build one have been refused.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-looks-to-private-sector-to-fund-new-water-treatment-plant-43679

East Water, like most monopolies, are a disgrace. The water in my (recently cleaned) tank is already a 'darker shade of pale.' They finally fixed the two leaks which have bubbled away millions of litres over months of complaints/photos.

Positive equatorial sea surface temperature (SST) anomalies continue across most of the Pacific Ocean.

A transition to ENSO-neutral is likely during late Northern Hemisphere spring or early summer 2016, with a possible transition to La Niña conditions during the fall.*

so how do you get 3 or 4 years drought from this?

Maybe all the rain is up North? Just back from two week in Southern Philippines and it rained 14 out of the 15 days I was there.....ugly....:-(

I for one enjoy all the hot dry weather here in Pattaya.....and am looking forward to my annual Songkran escape shortly.....woo, woo....???

so how do you get 3 or 4 years drought from this?

if you read the full article its explained your at the top of the el nino and the next 3 years will take it to an el nina, or the milder / normal conditions. do some research!

if you read the full article its explained your at the top of the el nino and the next 3 years will take it to an el nina, or the milder / normal conditions. do some research!

For your information, I was unable to get you your link to the article to work, but the fact that the excerpt that you have provided says that we are going into a neutral cycle during the "northern hemisphere spring or summer 2016" is 6 months at best. I am insulted by you do some research comment, as you can see by my username I derive my income from the agriculture on one of the driest countries in the world it is in my best interest to keep myself upto speed with what the weather is doing.

I have a leak out side my gate.

Its been there for at least 6 YEARS.

I have reported it so-many times.

Once they even came out and put chalk marks around it but that didn't stop it leaking.

Another time 4 men came and stood there and looked at it but that didn't stop it.

It must have leaked out half of of maprachan lake over the years.

Hay Ho!!!

TIT.

For your information, I was unable to get you your link to the article to work, but the fact that the excerpt that you have provided says that we are going into a neutral cycle during the "northern hemisphere spring or summer 2016" is 6 months at best. I am insulted by you do some research comment, as you can see by my username I derive my income from the agriculture on one of the driest countries in the world it is in my best interest to keep myself upto speed with what the weather is doing.
Then you should be embarrassed!, as you can easily google the study i referenced in my posting and it clearly shows graphs and wording stating clearly it will take another 2 to 3 years to pull out of the el nino and the updates are done every 2 to 3 months

Was that a joke Austrailian farmer? hahahahahah

Edited by Rimmer