A 40-degree summer of suffering coming after Songkran

webfact

Some places has seen 40 degrees and above yesterday. In Thoen was recorded 41.2. Kanchanaburi 40 degrees. It looks like this summer is going to be a frying one. Not looking forward to it.

Yes, Nakon Sawan being one of them.

40c at 1600 yesterday!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to backup my post a bit because people might not believe it

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/rice-fields-in-ayutthaya-affected-by-water-shortage/130283/

Here you can see some numbers to see its true what I am saying about 70% for farmers and if its this way in Ayutthaya it will be similar all over the country big cities excluded.

Now my claim about the economic value of Songkran spending.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/104031 22.8 billion in Bangkok alone so its a huge economic boost and well worth the water compared to farming.

I hope we now put the myth of Songkran being a waste of water both economically and water wise to rest and let the GOM's move on with there strange arguments.

I know one thing going to get my aircon's serviced soon well before the true heat sets in.

Yea you believe anything the spin doctors say! there is a water crisis not time for wasting it by throwing it around. Most Thais I know hate Songkran, or what it's turned into, as it's just a piss-up (mainly) for farangs these days.

I can't believe anyone would decry farmers who really NEED the water but as it's you I should not be surprised that you don't give a **** about farmers or the environment.

Unlike you I look at facts and economic value, you obviously don't like facts. The fact is that the water spend during Songkran has far more economic value as that spend on farming (meaning more Baht per liter water of economic value). So from an economics standpoint Songkran is important.

Now fairness standpoint.. farming uses 70%, normal households 10-20% so even doubling that would mean they use less water as farming uses all the time. So they have as much right on the water as the farmers. Now this is an important national holiday that generates loads of money and makes people forget their problems. That it is a water throwing festifal is what Thais made it. You as an foreigner can't complain about it as its Thais that choose it to be this and its their country.

Farmers were told not to plant.. they did anyway.. so why should the rest of the people suffer for the farmers greed ?

The fact for me is I'll eat my cucumbers and carrots and you can eat your baht.

People tend to forget a lot of vegetables get imported and we are not dependent on what Thai farmers produce. Now if there was no open market.. no rice in stock I would have responded differently.

I really wonder if people just don't know such basic things or post without thinking. Many of the vegetables do come from China, so there is enough to fill up the gap that is left if farmers cant deliver. Plus I was talking mainly about rice farming and we got a big storage full of rice. (rice program anyone)

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/rice-fields-in-ayutthaya-affected-by-water-shortage/130283/

Here you can see some numbers to see its true what I am saying about 70% for farmers and if its this way in Ayutthaya it will be similar all over the country big cities excluded.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/104031 22.8 billion in Bangkok alone so its a huge economic boost and well worth the water compared to farming.

I hope we now put the myth of Songkran being a waste of water both economically and water wise to rest and let the GOM's move on with there strange arguments.

I know one thing going to get my aircon's serviced soon well before the true heat sets in.

Only you would take a forecast as gospel from a research centre and an article written by one of the worst news agencies in Asia.

Let's see how Thailand will fare with superhot temps and a shortage of water. This summer is going to be interesting. Especially reading the lame excuses as to why there was no water after everyone threw it at each other for so many days during Songkran. Of course! The farmers will be blamed.

Not so strange as farming uses 70% of the water and household and industry the other 30%. Reported is that households use around 10-15% of the water and songkran will double that. Its still far of the 70% that farmers used on the Songkran days.

Everyone knows that Songkran gives the economy a huge boost and will earn much more on the water those days as farming. For those that don't believe it check Songkran spending. Also its a huge morale boost, only those grumpy old songkran haters use this to ban Songkran.

I got my figures from news articles on Thavisa so no guesswork here. Both the doubling of water use and how much farming uses was reported before. So instead of blowing hot air like some members who live in the past do i rely on facts.

Yes in the past Songkran was different but no matter how much old dinosaurs want it we live in the present and Songkran has changed to the water throwing weather you like it or not. I can say for a fact that in my village on the suburbs of BKK Songrkan is loved and played with a lot of water trowing. So Thais changed Songkran not foreigners.

I got my figures from news articles on Thavisa so no guesswork here.

Really? Your statement is sadly, misleading. Let's deal with the actual facts and not guesswork.

1. Thailand is one of the world's top ten users of water. It is also a waster of water.

2. The statement that "farming" uses 70% of water must be put in context or it is misleading. It's not because of the number, but rather because of the use of the general term "farming" which conjures up images of hordes of small farmers siphoning off water.

The agricultural water use category includes a wide range of activities, not just farming. The grim reality is that Thailand's small independent farmers take a small portion of the large amount of water used for agro-industrial and export-oriented food production. The large factory farms, particularly the pork and chicken farmers, along with processors, consume large amounts of water. The extensive rubber and palm oil plantations also screw up water resources as well because of the damage done to the water shed they are located in.

3. Two of Thailand's biggest wasters of water are;

i) Golf courses with their consumption of millions of liters of water and;

ii) Urban dwellers. According to the National Consultation Report of 2013, "water use in rural areas is estimated at 50 liters per person per day, while in urban area, 250 liters is calculated for person per day." That is quite a difference. Rural residents still use rainwater and alternative collection methods. Urban dwellers do not.

Water consumption could be slashed overnight if urban dwellers cut their consumption, if the mega food processors who by some strange co-incidence include some of Thailand's wealthiest and most powerful families incurred a higher cost such that they were forced to conserve water, and if the golf course industry was forced to adopt more sound water management..

The highest temperature ever recorded in Thailand was 44.5C in Uttaradit in 1960. I think this still stands?

But as stated in an earlier post, this is the average temperature over a 24 hour period.

I have personally seen/been working in ambient temperatures of up to 46oC at the site area doing hydrostatic testing, that was in 2010 at Lan Krabu. But that was only afternoon heat in one isolated area of the yard.

Testing was cancelled BTW, couldn't control the thermal expansion of the liquids used .........................smile.png

Reaction to the issue will be an on going for many places in the world ,

Thailand has been gathering pace on solutions, They just have not been

quick enough, now if they the Government had a total commitment,

then maybe foregoing the new submarine and using that money to buy a

few desalination plants, that could elevate their standing

and hydrate the people.

I am sure Thaksin will be blamed for the heat and the shortage of water by some TV posters.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

The amount of water wasted during Songram is miniscule compared to just evaporation ofwater from lakes,dams, rivers, streams, and ponds. The yearly complaint about Songram and wasteing water is a waste of energy

Some places has seen 40 degrees and above yesterday. In Thoen was recorded 41.2. Kanchanaburi 40 degrees. It looks like this summer is going to be a frying one. Not looking forward to it.

Yes, Nakon Sawan being one of them.

40c at 1600 yesterday!

Close to 40 in cm yesterday I love it

Yea you believe anything the spin doctors say! there is a water crisis not time for wasting it by throwing it around. Most Thais I know hate Songkran, or what it's turned into, as it's just a piss-up (mainly) for farangs these days.

I can't believe anyone would decry farmers who really NEED the water but as it's you I should not be surprised that you don't give a **** about farmers or the environment.

Songkran turned into a piss up mainly for farangs - what utter complete nonsense. Although par for your course.

If you think Pattaya or Soi Cowboy are Songkran than that explains it.

Didn't notice your political doyens doing much in the reverse situation when they mismanaged the worst flood in 50 years. Just saw it as another money making opportunity for themselves whilst making sure they weren't inconvenienced. Don't expect much better this time. Cancelling Songkran wouldn't make much real impact on saving water - the action was required a long time ago, as was flood prevention and management.

But of course cancelling Songkran would be politically unthinkable as the Shins PR machine would have a field day - which you'd lap up no doubt.

You accuse someone of believing spin doctors but are only too willing to support the ones who spout crap for your favored clan. Or don't you really believe them either?

and hydrate the people.

I am sure Thaksin will be blamed for the heat and the shortage of water by some TV posters.

Then you must be a bit simple. Have you failed to notice any of the debates, publications, broadcasts, demonstrations this century regarding the dangers of climate change.

Biggest culprits in ignoring climate change - try US, China, India (actually suggest the RoW pays them to clean up!) and most developing countries.

Of course, there are some who still deny climate change, say its an ongoing phenomenon and we can't affect it one way or another etc etc.

Thaksin's position on this - no idea. Because like most if not all Thai politicians he's only interested if it makes him money.

Let's see how Thailand will fare with superhot temps and a shortage of water. This summer is going to be interesting. Especially reading the lame excuses as to why there was no water after everyone threw it at each other for so many days during Songkran. Of course! The farmers will be blamed.

Not so strange as farming uses 70% of the water and household and industry the other 30%. Reported is that households use around 10-15% of the water and songkran will double that. Its still far of the 70% that farmers used on the Songkran days.

Everyone knows that Songkran gives the economy a huge boost and will earn much more on the water those days as farming. For those that don't believe it check Songkran spending. Also its a huge morale boost, only those grumpy old songkran haters use this to ban Songkran.

I got my figures from news articles on Thavisa so no guesswork here. Both the doubling of water use and how much farming uses was reported before. So instead of blowing hot air like some members who live in the past do i rely on facts.

Yes in the past Songkran was different but no matter how much old dinosaurs want it we live in the present and Songkran has changed to the water throwing weather you like it or not. I can say for a fact that in my village on the suburbs of BKK Songrkan is loved and played with a lot of water trowing. So Thais changed Songkran not foreigners.

Really? Your statement is sadly, misleading. Let's deal with the actual facts and not guesswork.

1. Thailand is one of the world's top ten users of water. It is also a waster of water.

2. The statement that "farming" uses 70% of water must be put in context or it is misleading. It's not because of the number, but rather because of the use of the general term "farming" which conjures up images of hordes of small farmers siphoning off water.

The agricultural water use category includes a wide range of activities, not just farming. The grim reality is that Thailand's small independent farmers take a small portion of the large amount of water used for agro-industrial and export-oriented food production. The large factory farms, particularly the pork and chicken farmers, along with processors, consume large amounts of water. The extensive rubber and palm oil plantations also screw up water resources as well because of the damage done to the water shed they are located in.

ii) Urban dwellers. According to the National Consultation Report of 2013, "water use in rural areas is estimated at 50 liters per person per day, while in urban area, 250 liters is calculated for person per day." That is quite a difference. Rural residents still use rainwater and alternative collection methods. Urban dwellers do not.

Water consumption could be slashed overnight if urban dwellers cut their consumption, if the mega food processors who by some strange co-incidence include some of Thailand's wealthiest and most powerful families incurred a higher cost such that they were forced to conserve water, and if the golf course industry was forced to adopt more sound water management..

In many rural areas water supply is only available via the taps for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple in the evening. So they make do with a few storage barrels in their bathrooms / toilets. So they are more economical, wash and shower less etc. Not through choice but because of restricted supply.

Golf courses - totally agree. But as its the playground of the rich, elite and well connected, that will be one of the last things to be cut, if at all.

and hydrate the people.

Desalination plant in Thailand? Your ignorance of both the drought situation and the geography of Thailand is astounding. ?

Please explain your comment further.

Back your facts up with numbers like I did.. now its just speculation.

I have also figures about how water intensive rice farming is,its far more then any other farming method.

250 liters a day is nothing compared to the farming use.

Farming uses far more as urban dwellers, so it is stupid to look there for water savings. 70% that is where the savings has to come from if they only save 20% that is 14% of all water use.. now if city dwellers save 50% they don't even make it to 10% of savings. So where would you look for your savings ?

Its like when you have major artery ruptured and a minor one.. i know where the medics would work first.

and hydrate the people.

You have a military government. Buying a desalinization plant vs buying a submarine which one do you think will win??

and hydrate the people.

There you are...

Songkran turned into a piss up mainly for farangs - what utter complete nonsense. Although par for your course.

Didn't notice your political doyens doing much in the reverse situation when they mismanaged the worst flood in 50 years. Just saw it as another money making opportunity for themselves whilst making sure they weren't inconvenienced. Don't expect much better this time. Cancelling Songkran wouldn't make much real impact on saving water - the action was required a long time ago, as was flood prevention and management.

But of course cancelling Songkran would be politically unthinkable as the Shins PR machine would have a field day - which you'd lap up no doubt.

You accuse someone of believing spin doctors but are only too willing to support the ones who spout crap for your favored clan. Or don't you really believe them either?

Edited by JAG

Aye. Seems like it is going to be a scorcher this year.

39 in the shade up here yesterday afternoon and it is not yet the Ides of March.

As my drill instructor told me decades ago

"If you can't take a joke, sonny, then you shouldn't have joined".

The correct response was of course

"I can take a joke Sarge, but **** a pantomime".

I can see it topping 45 this year, probably in late April or early May.

and hydrate the people.

Desalination plant in Thailand? Your ignorance of both the drought situation and the geography of Thailand is astounding. ?

Please explain your comment further.

sure it would be easy to run a lot of lot of desalination plants along the Coasts powered by wind or solar power and so satisfy the water needs of places like bangkok, pattaya , phuket , hua hin or all the south with hat yai and co.

it will not help the farmers in the north direct but it would help say 1/3 to 1/2 of thailands population and thats nothing bad.

Also it would help sinking BKK because part of the sinking is that they pump so much water out of the ground.

and to be honest the few liters of water per person wasted on Songkran arent important compared to other water uses.

made you happy attacking common sense?

In todays mad mad world spout a little common sense so I can attack it. So many days I rise and shine and at night collapse on the mattress without running into any common sense at all. I am building a BS filter so I can shovel it all into the top and examine what comes out of the bottom. Methinks nothing of any value will seep through.

In todays mad mad world spout a little common sense so I can attack it. So many days I rise and shine and at night collapse on the mattress without running into any common sense at all. I am building a BS filter so I can shovel it all into the top and examine what comes out of the bottom. Methinks nothing of any value will seep through.

Unlike you I look at facts and economic value, you obviously don't like facts. The fact is that the water spend during Songkran has far more economic value as that spend on farming (meaning more Baht per liter water of economic value). So from an economics standpoint Songkran is important.

Now fairness standpoint.. farming uses 70%, normal households 10-20% so even doubling that would mean they use less water as farming uses all the time. So they have as much right on the water as the farmers. Now this is an important national holiday that generates loads of money and makes people forget their problems. That it is a water throwing festifal is what Thais made it. You as an foreigner can't complain about it as its Thais that choose it to be this and its their country.

Farmers were told not to plant.. they did anyway.. so why should the rest of the people suffer for the farmers greed ?

Most farmers have not replanted as they were told and will have to feed their families with less money for a second year in a row. This even though much of the water used for rice farming is returned to the river (at least in our community) Easy for someone to say not to plant, not so easy for farmers to then to earn money to feed their kids. What the government has failed to do is to place restrictions on water use by city dwellers other than to tell people to refrain from celebrating Song Kran in the traditional manner. They have placed all the onus on the farming community which produces the food consumed by those living in the big city. The pain must be shared in order to survive the coming water crisis .

In the end the Holy Grail of Thailand which is Bangkok will get its fair share and then some. I hope they can survive on water only. It rather reminds me of the feudal systems of old where the Kings and Earls lived in huge castles and the surrounding countryside had to bring tribute to them. In most cases the tribute was all they had and they starved.

Edited by elgordo38

whistling.gif As is every year in Bangkok.....the month of May will be hot and humid.....but probably no rain.

Just heat and humidity

The sweaty season.

I think you'll find that April is the hottest month of the year for Bangkok and most of the rest of Thailand.

Maybe, that's why Songkran was invented?

Commons sense is giving more economical use of water (more baht per liter water earned) priority. That is what songkran is, als common sense is cutting the biggest users out first.. and that is farming. If they stopped the farming there would be plenty of water for households. 70%!!!!!!! farming 10-20% households.. so guess where the biggest saving is to be made.

Remember farmers were told NOT to plant a second crop. So they are at fault not the households.. and they would have to suffer because of farmers greed.. common sense my.....

Were the farmers offered any compensation for them not planting? I am sure that if you were not very well off and then told that you could not work or make any money for 6 months that you would go along with it like a good little boy.

Here's the inevitable turn it back to Thaksin post. You have such hatred for them. Did Yingluck turn you down?

Commons sense is giving more economical use of water (more baht per liter water earned) priority. That is what songkran is, als common sense is cutting the biggest users out first.. and that is farming. If they stopped the farming there would be plenty of water for households. 70%!!!!!!! farming 10-20% households.. so guess where the biggest saving is to be made.

Remember farmers were told NOT to plant a second crop. So they are at fault not the households.. and they would have to suffer because of farmers greed.. common sense my.....

Were the farmers offered any compensation for them not planting? I am sure that if you were not very well off and then told that you could not work or make any money for 6 months that you would go along with it like a good little boy.

In answer to your question. The farmers were offered assistance in changing their crops to one that uses little water. They were also given long term loans under a farming program with almost no interest.

What I can not understand is why comments are saying that people throwing water is insignificant to adding to a water shortage and that it helps boost the economy. Sure! The vendors make a killing for a few days. But it doesn't help anyone else really. Farming is a necessity in life, the same as drinking water and throwing water is a playtime. Surely that water should be conserved if their is a severe drought by all parties both farmers and partyers. I'm not against Songkran and have revelled in this pastime before. But this year is different and water is too precious to throw away just to get someone wet. The farmers should do their part as well. The same with all of Thailand.

In answer to your question. The farmers were offered assistance in changing their crops to one that uses little water. They were also given long term loans under a farming program with almost no interest.

What I can not understand is why comments are saying that people throwing water is insignificant to adding to a water shortage and that it helps boost the economy. Sure! The vendors make a killing for a few days. But it doesn't help anyone else really. Farming is a necessity in life, the same as drinking water and throwing water is a playtime. Surely that water should be conserved if their is a severe drought by all parties both farmers and partyers. I'm not against Songkran and have revelled in this pastime before. But this year is different and water is too precious to throw away just to get someone wet. The farmers should do their part as well. The same with all of Thailand.

So they were not given any compensation but loans that they would have to pay back. That's not much of an option really. As for the plans in assistance to change crops I would be interested to see if any farmers took up that option and how much help they were given. I have a feeling it might have been more hot air from this government but with no real substance behind it.