Thai govt continuously tackling drought

webfact

Govt. continuously tackling drought

BANGKOK, 9 March 2016 (NNT) - Minister of Interior Gen.Anupong Paochinda has expressed satisfaction with the government’s solutions to drought, saying he is confident that the country will get out of the drought crisis.

Assistants to Government Spokesman Col.Thaksada Sangkhachan and Col.Athisit Chainuwat on Tuesday said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha instructed all government units to work together in campaigning for water saving nationwide. He also emphasized the restructuring of the agricultural sector and cultivation of drought-resistant crops.

The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives informed the Cabinet that 18 million cubic meters of water were discharged each day nationwide.

The PM asked all areas to consider building dams to store water and find ways to treat waste water for the ecological system.

The interior minister instructed all provincial governors to submit a report on their in-depth solutions to drought and the problems related to water use.

The local people were ready handle the drought crisis after the government continuously informed them of the real drought situation, said the minister.

Gen.Prayut added that the government could not prohibit water use in all areas as well as water splashing to celebrate the Songkran festival this year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-09 footer_n.gif

These guys are brain dead. This is their solution to no water a little late I think

The PM asked all areas to consider building dams to store water and find ways to treat waste water for the ecological system.

What is there to store rainy season is over. Waste water at present has no common drainage so cannot be contained to be recycled. They are in lala land.

It is all about in the future the drought is now.

Have any TV members living in rural and urban drought risk areas seen any actual measures to combat the water shortage where you live?

It would be useful to know if the junta's plan is anything more than hot air or, if happening, effective where you are.

Thank you.

Have any TV members living in rural and urban drought risk areas seen any actual measures to combat the water shortage where you live?

It would be useful to know if the junta's plan is anything more than hot air or, if happening, effective where you are.

Thank you.

I have here. The government gave 20 million bht to extend water storage early last year so yes measures where taken. I went to the place while they were working on it. So all this government bashing is getting a little tired.

Thank you.

We'll I'm not sure if this helpful, but I live in the north (Chiang Rai) and haven't seen anything at all helping the drought. I actually find myself continuously telling friends and people to stop wasting soo much. I just moved here from California so I may be a little over the top coming from a pretty serious drought, but still these people are taught to take 2 showers a day, no matter what.

.. Local people were ready to handle the drought crisis.... Really? How?

Did you read? Build a dam!

But this:

Minister of Interior Gen.Anupong Paochinda [...] is confident that the country will get out of the drought crisis.

is a moronic statement. Of course the country will get out of the crisis. The questions are (1) when? and (2) how much pain, suffering and death will there be in the mean time?

As has been said on many occasions why not dig the existing reservoirs or storage areas deeper during the dry season & using the earth for land fill where needed, thereby making full use of increasing future water storage facilities.

Thank you.

I have here. The government gave 20 million bht to extend water storage early last year so yes measures where taken. I went to the place while they were working on it. So all this government bashing is getting a little tired.

I am curious. Did they build after the rain or before?.Has it been able to increase its storage during the drought? Has the water being retained in your area increased?

Or is it all about next years water?

Edited by lovelomsak

Thank you.

I am curious. Did they build after the rain or before?.Has it been able to increase its storage during the drought? Has the water being retained in your area increased?

Or is it all about next years water?

It was done before the rains last year around January. We still have water so I assume it must have made a difference. They had diggers and trucks there for months.

Thank you.

I have visited a few rural areas and nothing has been done by the government/army to date! In all areas the farmers are helping themselves.

the country will get out of the drought crisis

On a global scale the country will NOT get out of the drought crisis.

The drought is a meteorological phenomenon that is being exacerbated by global warming. So long as Thailand and the rest of Asia contribute to the causes of global warming such as CO2 emissions from coal-fired power plants, forest fires and crop burning, Thailand will continue to experience effects of prolonged and hot droughts. The junta's plans to build seven coal-fired power plants will further drought conditions.

Certainly the government can and is taking some belated measures to lessening the impact of droughts. But these measures are largely piecemeal and politically-based as opposed to being coordinated and planned as part of a strategic scientific approach to minimizing the effects of drought trhoughout the country.

None of the current Cabinet ministers have shown the expertise to understand drought issues. Like he did with putting a professional like Somkid to deal with the collapsing economy, Prayut needs to do the same with the War on Drought. People with strict military and academic backgrounds should be avoided.

Thank you.

A new watermain has been recently installed in my village. Everybody happy.

Water for 1 day and it was shut off. Asking about it: too many leaks.

And of course no repairs are made.

Luckily I drilled a well 7 years ago.

Thank you.

Nothing in my area in the NE. My well has run dry a couple of times….I'm thinking of having a new one drilled, but in the town they are still watering the medians in the road. Reservoirs are very low and unless it is a monster rainy season they will be very low next year as well. I cannot point to anything the government has done….they are still working on 2011's flooding putting in the flood defenses. Day late and a dollar short!

Thank you.

Somebody dug a very big, deep hole in my town a few years ago when we were still having strong rain seasons. I thought, man, these Thais have got their shit together, thinking it was intended to be a second reservoir to support on-going development in the area. I was overly optimistic, no piping/pump facilities were put in. It sits there, unused potential, catching some rain water which then soaks and evaporates away.

And so, 2 years ago, town ran out of water and had to borrow from a neighboring town, about 1/2 through the dry season.

Last year we ran out and had to borrow earlier.

This year, we ran out and had to borrow right at the end of the "rain" season, and now that reservoir is about to run dry as well. The daily water rationing hours have, in the past month, been tightened to water every other day, and at such low pressure, it barely dribbles out. Tough road ahead, and well aware many others are worse off in other areas, for far longer than us. sad.png

Thank you.

All around where I live in rural Khampaeng Phet they have dug extra water storage holes, 5 in our small village alone, they have cleared out, widened and deepened some of the klongs and their feeders.

Sadly they cannot be filled yet as we have to wait for the wet season but better to do it now than simply ignore the problem as so many previous governments of all colours and political parties have done for decades.

These guys are brain dead. This is their solution to no water a little late I think

What is there to store rainy season is over. Waste water at present has no common drainage so cannot be contained to be recycled. They are in lala land.

So what is your suggestion for now?

Thank you.

I have visited a few rural areas and nothing has been done by the government/army to date! In all areas the farmers are helping themselves.

Which rural areas did you visit and for how long?

So what is your suggestion for now?

I will save my suggestion for when they pay me for it. Nothing is free.

Nothing has been done in our area (west of Khon Kaen).

Farmers drill and pump. The drillers work hard.

Never had there been that many wells/pumps here (in 20 years of visits and 5 year of stay).

In the past years they (government?) dug big watering canals.

Bone dry all 2015.

To be sure we got this for Christmas tongue.png, 36m deep:

.. Local people were ready to handle the drought crisis.... Really? How?

Did you read? Build a dam!

But this:

Minister of Interior Gen.Anupong Paochinda [...] is confident that the country will get out of the drought crisis.

is a moronic statement. Of course the country will get out of the crisis. The questions are (1) when? and (2) how much pain, suffering and death will there be in the mean time?

Just like they got out of the flood problem in 2011. They will get out of the drought problem the same way. The rich elite hiso well connected will not be inconvenienced in any way whatsoever. The other 90% - who cares.

And that attitude will again be shown shortly as the water shortages start to hit home.

Your not being fair give them a chance to come up with a "Made In Thailand" solution. Of course it cannot cost money that is taboo. Even prayer today is not free.