It Bag: Thai officials deny Balenciaga copied common Thai plastic bag

webfact

It Bag: Thai officials deny Balenciaga copied common Thai plastic bag
By Coconuts Bangkok

page_10_1.jpg
A bag from Balenciaga Fall/Winter 2016 collection versus the classic Thai plastic bag commonly used by merchants

BANGKOK: -- Following widespread mockery and memes by Thai netizens who noticed similarities between Balenciaga’s posh designer bag and Thailand’s humble shopping bag, the Department of Intellectual Property Thailand said today that the fashion house did not copy the design of the Thai plastic bag.

After Balenciaga debuted its Fall/Winter 2016 collection at Paris Fashion Week on Sunday, photos of its colorful striped totes hitting the runway gave a lot of amusement to Thai netizens who said the resemblance of the new “It Bag” to their common plastic bag was uncanny.

The plastic bag is commonly used by merchants to store wholesale goods, as often seen at JJ Market, Platinum Shopping Mall and Chinatown. The bag is also associated with rural life.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/03/08/it-bag-thai-officials-deny-balenciaga-copied-common-thai-plastic-bag

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-03-09

DIP points Balenciaga’s new bags no copyright infringement

BANGKOK, 9 March 2016 (NNT) – The new Balenciaga bags which are almost identical to shopping bags commonly used in Thailand will not be considered as copyright infringements to the new international fashion trends, says the DIP chief.

The Department of Intellectual Property’s (DIP) Director-General Nuntawan Sakuntanaga has said regarding Balenciaga’s new bag collection, which are almost identical to bags commonly used by merchants in Thailand, that no legal action can be made against this brand, as the similarities in the items cannot be considered as a copyright infringement.

She said that the patterns of the “rainbow bag” are not exclusive to Thailand, as they are also widely used in ASEAN and China. There are no registered patients claiming the ownership to the pattern within Thailand, which makes identifying the actual owner of the design pattern impossible.

However, the general public can continue to use the bag with the same patterns in Thailand and other countries without being considered as copy items, as they are not actually made to resemble Balenciaga’s bags. The bags commonly used in Thailand and the new trending fashion bags can be differentiated from their size, shape, and material.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-09 footer_n.gif

Nation TV Fooled By Satirical Article, Blames Internet
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14574250751457425096l.jpg
Balenciaga's Fall/Winter 2016 collection Photo: Balenciaga

BANGKOK — Nation TV blamed an “inaccurate source” today for its reporting a piece of online satire as fact, despite the post being clearly labeled a work of fiction.

A few hours after Nation TV reported about a Spanish designer bag inspired by a type of cheap and colorful bag common to Thailand, the station apologized for the report based on a satirical Facebook post, placing the blame on social media.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1457425075&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-09

Thai ' intellectual ' property ? cheesy.gif

Great journalism from The Nation, it was on Facebook so must be true no need to check.

Oh, that would have required the journalists to do some work, copying's easier and that sounds familiar.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

So if you carry your gear around in one of these bags you look like a hick from the sticks, unless it has a Balenciaga label which makes you oh so cool.

I wonder what the difference in prices will be? could be a business opportunity.

Amazing they get concerned about copyright infringement as soon as it might be one of their own items copied.

Actually that striped bag is what you buy at Chatuchuk, or similar markets, to carry your copyright infringed merchandise home.

copy , A noun

copied , copies and copying , A verb

May just be linked to the Verb

depending on your viewpoint, A noun

Indicative. Present. I copy you copy he copies we copy you copy they copy.

www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/copy.html

copy , A noun

copied , copies and copying , A verb

May just be linked to the Verb

depending on your viewpoint, A noun

Indicative. Present. I copy you copy he copies we copy you copy they copy.

www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/copy.html

Lol !

Whenever i see a Thai lady with a LV-purse or any other designerbrand i always assume it to be a fake copy.

The same goes for all the brandname sportswear in Thailand, it's so easy to find fake ones.

Whenever i see a Thai lady with a LV-purse or any other designerbrand i always assume it to be a fake copy.

The same goes for all the brandname sportswear in Thailand, it's so easy to find fake ones.

A "fake copy" as opposed to a "genuine copy", aka an original?

and what if...what if... all the other countries look into all the things THAILAND has copied..??....

whoever thought . up this article to moan about ... should learn to read sources . . then again. its lonely being a educated Thai.

I love satire news. and irony, and sarcasm, dark humor, .... oh the list goes on. life has so many fun things to play with that everything is a copy. everything has copied something else. everything.

And if we dig deeper, we'll find that the design of the Thai bag

was actually copied from somewhere.........

possibly from a copyrighted item. coffee1.gif

I recall these bags being in common use in China in the 1980s so I think it's unlikely that any copyright ever existed.

Wait a second let me time this on my Faux relox while I walk down the street in faux chemychoos While I pull my fake Gucci bag behind me all bought here in BKK. Opps forgot my fake ray burns sunglasses clouded my vision. Now Thai netcitizens were talking about copright infringement?

Amazing they get concerned about copyright infringement as soon as it might be one of their own items copied.

Actually that striped bag is what you buy at Chatuchuk, or similar markets, to carry your copyright infringed merchandise home.

I think the bag would be more valuable if they cut little slits in it like they do with blue jeans.