Fire Break

somo

I need to create a 10 metre strip of land where nothing will grow to prevent the firebug neighbour from destroying our crops.

Someone suggested I spray some deisel on it (not when he is in the middle of setting fires!) as that will make the land sterile for some time.

Any truth in that or any other ideas?

i have seen the method or fire barrier at ground level and that was just plough the area required then apply weed killer not quite sure of your area

10 metre strip of land x ????

Edited by Lamkyong

Hi Somo,

I run around with a 2.5 meter box scraper.(that's wide enough)

If you have a tractor and plough,do that or hire one with a front blade.

If you do it in december it should last till the rains of april.

We used to use a mixture of sump oil and diesel on our country sand greens at golf course,not sure it would be applicable on a field as it may contaminate your growing area when it rains.

It would be about 50 metres long by 10 wide. Every so often the neighbour sets fire to things close by so I want a semi permanent sterile patch as he usually ends up setting fire to our cassava as well. The land in question is not his but government land that he encroaches on. I am fine with that except when he gets too close to ours. The man is a maniac and set fire to his own crops last year by mistake. Gravel would be far too expensive and access difficult.