Two passengers killed, 20 injured in charter bus crash in Maha Sarakham

webfact

Two passengers killed,20 injured in charter bus crash

164-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two passengers were killed and 20 others injured when a chartered bus from Khon Kaen to Maha Sarakham skidded off a curve on Khon Kaen-Yang Takad road in Chiang Yuen district of Maha Sarakham and rammed at a tree on the road shoulder.

The incident happened before dawn Wednesday as the chartered bus was carrying students to have an examination in Maha Sarakham.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/154309

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-09

It saddens me to say but I too have become completely desensitised to everything over here.

I have seen so many horrific sights and read so many "news' stories that it simply washes over me now.

Nobody in the higher echelons of society cares about anything apart from money.

That's the 2nd bus in a couple of days that has "Skidded" off the road,

was there ice on the road,was it raining , or just driving faster than their

abilities, plus I thought a while ago they were going to make bus operators

install seat belts for all passengers,what happened that idea?

regards Wrgeordie

this really is getting too much, just about every day now we read one of these stories involving these buses, something has to be done and done quickly no more stuffing around , so many young lives being lost needlessly. I recall reading just a couple of weeks ago that the government had instructed these buses were to be examined and certified in respect of their stability. all we get is excuses about brakes failing or some other lame excuse being put forward . it is absolutely evident even to everyone that on just about every occasion when a bus crashes that the fault is entirely due to driver error , over tired, or stoned off their face. DOESN'T ANYONE IN AUTHORITY IN THIS COUNTRY HAVE THE GUTS TO DO SOMETHING POSITIVE TO STOP THIS CARNAGE, accidents happen in every country certainly but definitely not to the same extent as is happening here

Not Yang Takad but Yang Talat and another sad peace of news involving busses, they really need to have a royal commission style look into the bus industry in Thailand and get to the core of all these crashes

Fully agree, it's a real crappy stretch of road, and have driven it many times. However, I am getting saddened by what seems like a bus crash ever couple of days. When in heaven;s name is this so called government going to step in a put a stop to this unbelievable carnage on our roads?

Not Yang Takad but Yang Talat and another sad peace of news involving busses, they really need to have a royal commission style look into the bus industry in Thailand and get to the core of all these crashes

Fully agree, it's a real crappy stretch of road, and have driven it many times. However, I am getting saddened by what seems like a bus crash ever couple of days. When in heaven;s name is this so called government going to step in a put a stop to this unbelievable carnage on our roads?

Then give us a googlemaps link so we can see it too. (please).

Perhaps TV needs new sub forum "The daily crash(es)." This mayhem has gone sooo far beyond absurd I completely understand all those who use humor as a defense against strong urge to go to some authority and say "harsh words".

Core= untrained drivers, tired drivers, unsuitable busses for the conditions, speeding, poor maintenance, don't care attitude---- that's just for starters.

regards Wrgeordie

I don't know about all buses. But in the bus crash last Friday the 2 who were killed didn't have it on. Luckily the rest did. So yes some operators do take care of safety, but I don't know if that can be said about the majority. Sad news almost every day and with more students making "end of school season trips" I wonder if this is the last crash...

But when you look at road safety in general in it's not only lack of mechanical parts. The whole attitude in Thailand on the road is scary. I drive a pickup. and see parents with their kids on the front seat hugging their parent while he or she is driving. Phones on while driving you get a fine, but a young kid that's too "short" to sit in front is not a problem..... Just crazy..

regards Wrgeordie

A bus that I sometimes use actually ties up the seat belts so they can't be used. What kind of mentality does that, and why. How can we understand these people, that actually prevent people using seat belts even if they want to. They live on a different planet to us. One of the buses on that route also fell over last year, killing someone.

Second bus 'accident' today. But nothing will ever be done because 1 - those who make the laws don't ride the bus. 2 - the laws that are there are ignored by everyone, including the police, and that needs a major culture change. 3 - no-one needs to know how to drive a vehicle properly and have any sense of road awareness before they get a licence, and even if they introduced a meaningful driving test tomorrow (which they won't as that would make passing the test 'too hard') there would still be millions of people driving who didn't pass the new test and can't actually drive properly.

And so we will have daily reports of people killed, regular crackdowns that last five minutes, hundreds, thousands killed or injured next month during Songkran (some of whom will be on motorcycles and have a bucket of water thrown in their face because to someone with the mentality of a four year old it's fun to do that), and nothing will change, ever, because you can't fix stupid. All this should have been tackled decades ago, when people first started driving in Thailand. It wasn't, and it's too late now.

this really is getting too much, just about every day now we read one of these stories involving these buses, something has to be done and done quickly no more stuffing around , so many young lives being lost needlessly. I recall reading just a couple of weeks ago that the government had instructed these buses were to be examined and certified in respect of their stability. all we get is excuses about brakes failing or some other lame excuse being put forward . it is absolutely evident even to everyone that on just about every occasion when a bus crashes that the fault is entirely due to driver error , over tired, or stoned off their face. DOESN'T ANYONE IN AUTHORITY IN THIS COUNTRY HAVE THE GUTS TO DO SOMETHING POSITIVE TO STOP THIS CARNAGE, accidents happen in every country certainly but definitely not to the same extent as is happening here

Agreed. But a crackdown on bus drivers regarding their driving hours and proficiency. Holding a licence does not make one a proficient driver. Tests for alcohol and drugs, prior and during a driving stint. Why does the present regime not do something about it? It would certainly give it kudos. But then...........