Using mobile phone whilst Driving ?

Hel123

Hi,

Is it legal to use your mobile phone whilst driving ?

Back in the UK it's illegal and the UK police enforce this law.

I've seen lots of people here using their mobiles whilst driving, so I wondered whether legal or not in Thailand ??

Thanks,

H.

Do you really want to use your mobile phone when you drive? As we all know it distracts the driver and accidents can happen and as if there is not enough distractions in Thailand when you are driving. My thought is you do not want to be responsible for and accident or a death due to careless acts while driving, so be smart and pull over to use your mobile. :)

Don't be a <deleted> . Legal or Illegal imo doesn't make the slightest of difference, its stupidly bloody dangerous to use a mobil phone when your driving. Why risk it when you can Buy yourself a plug in blue tooth ie hands free adaptor for literally peanuts. Or even better change your cd player for one with blue tooth. in the UK they start at under 50 £ and are a
peice of DELETED to swap over, Google it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by seedy
language

Not safty talk when drive. Even if its be bluetooth.

So or not talking when drive ..

Tired drive nore danger tgan phone talking.

And have another thinks more dangeros.

PS

When I drive... I not talk mobile phone.

Thanks for the replies - I would never use a mobile phone whilst driving.........

Bluetooth was fitted in my new car as standard but I still refrain from using the phone whilst driving even with factory fitted Bluetooth.

My question was simply whether it was legal - I'm pleased that it's illegal, just amazed at how many drivers I've seen using their mobiles.

Cheers,

H.

It was made illegal on 8th May 2008. There were posters up about it all over Bangkok before and after that date, and the police must have enforced it for *days* afterwards. Then it was back to business as usual.

With the blacked out windows that the police used to outlaw but now don't even care, how would a policeman know if you were on your phone while driving in the first place ?

You want to do one simple thing to make Thailand safer; enforce the window tint maximum % and eliminate the anonymity that people use to cover their irresponsibility

With the blacked out windows that the police used to outlaw but now don't even care, how would a policeman know if you were on your phone while driving in the first place ?

You want to do one simple thing to make Thailand safer; enforce the window tint maximum % and eliminate the anonymity that people use to cover their irresponsibility

A few countries make the black windows illegal and enforce it. A slight tint is OK but you should be able to see the occupants of the vehicle

A few countries make the black windows illegal and enforce it. A slight tint is OK but you should be able to see the occupants of the vehicle

When I first came to Thailand in the early 70's the police used to carry a tool to measure the % of tint and if you were over you were fined. But like most laws in Thailand those in power did not want it enforced because that did not want to be seen with their flavor of the week. I have no problem with tinted windscreens, the problem is the heavy tint on the driver and passenger side windows

Another of the many examples of laws in Thailand that are ignored to everyone's peril

When I first came to Thailand in the early 70's the police used to carry a tool to measure the % of tint and if you were over you were fined. But like most laws in Thailand those in power did not want it enforced because that did not want to be seen with their flavor of the week. I have no problem with tinted windscreens, the problem is the heavy tint on the driver and passenger side windows

Another of the many examples of laws in Thailand that are ignored to everyone's peril

post-170299-0-03985000-1457581882_thumb.

"... enforce the window tint maximum %..."

There isn't one to enforce, there was a regulation introduced a few years ago but it was abandoned.

Passed a guy in a pickup who'd slowed right down so he could concentrate on his texting, this caused more problems as others were taking risks to pass him, some even overtook me and the pickup as I was waiting for a safe moment to pass.

Overtaking by some drivers in Thailand is insane, and probably the biggest cause of accidents, all for the sake of saving a few seconds!

Don't be a <deleted> . Legal or Illegal imo doesn't make the slightest of difference, its stupidly bloody dangerous to use a mobil phone when your driving. Why risk it when you can Buy yourself a plug in blue tooth ie hands free adaptor for literally peanuts. Or even better change your cd player for one with blue tooth. in the UK they start at under 50 £ and are a

peice of DELETED to swap over, Google it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The OP may be a bit naive asking if a common practice is legal in LOS, but lets assume he is not a <deleted> and not planning on using a phone while driving.

Aftermarket Bluetooth phone kits are not common in Thailand because many people here (including the BIB) do not acknowledge the danger of using a phone while driving.

Bluetooth systems may be better than nothing but they don't entirely solve the problem because drivers are still distracted while talking / dialling etc.

The current craze for touch screens in cars also creates more distraction for the driver. Talking on a phone is one thing but texting, setting GPS coordinates, playing with car setting can also increase risk.

As posted many times it is illegal. I find that driving in and about in Thailand I need to have all my senses tuned in to all the maniac driver and motor cyclists over taking, under taking, changing lanes without indication and pushing in. Can't do all that and talk on a mobile as well.

Edited by seedy
font

It's illegal everywhere, not safety, but a lot people do it make it look like legal

I have seen people holding a baby on a motorbike, while riding among heavy traffic and also using their mobile at the same time.

It's illegal everywhere, not safety, but a lot people do it make it look like legal

I have seen people holding a baby on a motorbike, while riding among heavy traffic and also using their mobile at the same time.

Had just left a bar, when a young girl on a motorbike came off right in front of me as she tried to turn from the main drag up a soi.

lt was raining & she was driving the wrong way up the main road, had a flapping plastic raincoat on & was holding a paper cup of orange juice & balancing her handbag.

Fortunately she was not hurt.

Another farang on the other side of the soi, lifted her up while l lifted up the bike.

After we saw if she was all right & helped her back onto her bike, l picked up a mobile phone from the ground & gave it to her.

Now l didn't see her using it & l can't think how she could possibly do so as she was holding the cup of juice & the bag. l'd like to think that it fell out of her pocket or bag.

She was not hurt & after a smile, went on her merry way balancing cup & bag in the increasing rain.

God & Buddha must be looking over her.

A few Thai males watched this drama, impassively. Only one tried to help.

Do you really want to use your mobile phone when you drive? As we all know it distracts the driver and accidents can happen and as if there is not enough distractions in Thailand when you are driving. My thought is you do not want to be responsible for and accident or a death due to careless acts while driving, so be smart and pull over to use your mobile. smile.png

Yes, just ask the driver who rammed into the back of my truck Wednesday night!

I remember that, it was the same when I came in the early 80's