Overstay 1,5 years

I have a serious problem. I entered Thailand legally with 30 days visa but due to some private reasons overstaying for 1,5 years at the moment. I wanna go back to my country now. I have money for ticket and 25000 baht penalty( that's what I've heard,it's max penalty)but someone told me earlier that I will be arrested in airport and go to jail for overstaying even if I have money to pay penalty and ticket money. Do someone know the real situation? How things go? Thanks

If you get to the airport with a ticket for a flight out of the country and 20,000 Bht for the fine it is unlikely that you will be arrested.

The max fine for overstay is 20,000 Bht

You need to leave within the next week to avoid the new overstay rules.

• Like 1

If you get to the airport with a ticket for a flight out of the country and 20,000 Bht for the fine it is unlikely that you will be arrested.

Zero chance of arrest in that situation, not a matter it of being 'unlikely'.

• Like 1

Guys thanks so much for your help and advises. I gonna book ticket and go back. So finally I know that all gonna be ok. Thanks

Lilly good to see you are doing clever thing. Could you possibly post your experience with immigration after you have cleared. Hopefully very easy process and may encourage others to sort out overstay. Good luck.

• Like 2

Guys thanks so much for your help and advises. I gonna book ticket and go back. So finally I know that all gonna be ok. Thanks

We cannot stress too much: even if it means a higher airfare, leave on or before March 19. The new rules come into force March 20, and are going to be enforced.

• Like 1

As well a friend of mine here in Phuket will go today to clear his 9 months overstay situation:his personal reason are choose to care about his injured kid,that had costed him a lot of money,or clarify his situation.Now the things are going better,so he will leave by bus to Kk and there straight to Savannaket for his visa

• Like 1

As well a friend of mine here in Phuket will go today to clear his 9 months overstay situation:his personal reason are choose to care about his injured kid,that had costed him a lot of money,or clarify his situation.Now the things are going better,so he will leave by bus to Kk and there straight to Savannaket for his visa

With a 1,5 year overstay he might be refused to exit Thailand by the immigration in Mukdahan. Best option when you have a long overstay is to fly out.

Good to see the riff raff creeping out of the woodwork all of a sudden.

Immigration seem to be doing something right at last.

Agree 100%. There is no excuse for over stayers. Maybe one or two days, but months and years, then you are very aware of that you do something illegal.

I have been here nearly 10 years, used up 5 passports with different visas and stamps and not had a single day over stay. And it is simple, down to respect of the law in the country we are guests in.

They should remove the max cap of 20K, if you overstayed 2 years the fine should be 365.000. then maybe people would stop overstaying ?

coffee1.gif

Another one of the "we are guests in this country" brigade. A lot of us have to go through far too many hoops to be described as "guests".

Just waiting for the next brigade to come up, the "if you don't like it go home" mob.

• Like 1

@robblock.................

where am I judging anyone ..............I have asked a very simple question ( many times in fact) and still no-one has given even one valid reason for such a long overstay.

As for your other comments ....................I have absolutely no problem with compulsory health insurance ( but not the topic of this thread).

All the long stay old guys ( as you call them ) that I know are sensible enough to take suitable arrangements for health care specifically so that they CAN STAY long term( with correct permission to stay).Please do not judge all by your experiences

And IF or WHEN "their group is hit" ( as you say )................it will have nothing to do with people who overstay....it will be a new subject for a new thread.

Well now unfortunately for the same private reason you will be banned from reentering Thailand for few years. You should have left before 1st March then you would have only paid the fine but now it is much more . If you are arrested it will be more serious and you will also be imprisoned.

Well now unfortunately for the same private reason you will be banned from reentering Thailand for few years. You should have left before 1st March then you would have only paid the fine but now it is much more . If you are arrested it will be more serious and you will also be imprisoned.

The new overstay rules do not start until the 20th. Not sure where you came up with the 1st being the date.

• Like 1

Not correct. He can still sort himself out asap. Your condemnation will only be effective from March 20th, even if apprehended before that date.

Not correct. He can still sort himself out asap. Your condemnation will only be effective from March 20th, even if apprehended before that date.

Your post raised a question in my mind. Will those arrested before March 20, but only deported after that date, be subject to blacklisting? If so, those leaving it until the last minute to get their affairs in order better be extra careful not to be stopped before arrival at the airport.

Your post raised a question in my mind. Will those arrested before March 20, but only deported after that date, be subject to blacklisting? If so, those leaving it until the last minute to get their affairs in order better be extra careful not to be stopped before arrival at the airport.

90 to 1 odds it will be interpreted as to the date you are deported, not when you were detained.... but these are often details that are only known after it goes into effect because it depends on the interpretation (or adjudication if the country has an appeals process).

Those that are caught in that situation will probably often complain about their bad luck, but the dates and the consequences have been know for a long time so waiting until you near a date, then tripping over it... are because of poor risk management and not because of bad luck..... We are often our worst enemies and the authors of our own misfortune.

The rules state leaving prior to the date the rules go into effect. I think it will be determined by the judge who hears the case as to whether the ban will be applied if a person is deported after the 20th.

Oh yes, you so high and mighty so n so A guy staying to take care of his sick child is most definitely riff raff. He should be lumped in with the sex tourists and others here, publicly flogged and deported!

I was in a similar circumstance 2 1/2 years ago when my son was born and immediately transferred to ICU. It wasn't by choice that I overstayed, it was simply that my love for my son (as appears to be the case above) far outweighed the need to adhere to the laws. After my son was released and had made a full recovery and received a final clearance from the treating doctors (9 months later), I went through immigration showing them the documentation of my son's illness. They were more concerned about him than my overstay. Paid the fine came back 3 days later.

I highly recommend the guy above do the same, as although immigration are strict, they too are human and have compassion.... unlike many of the so called "civilized" westerners who post their vitriolic "anti-everyone except them and their hangers-on and the p!ss-poor countries they come from is DA-best" crud here!

Pity the high and mighty self righteous wouldn't crawl INTO the woodwork...right before it is burnt to ashes

Okay, rant over. Apologies to those who don't fit the category

And in all that time you could not be bothered to go get it cleared up. Sorry your son was in ICU, but hospitals will furnish paperwork in most instances, and a family member can even take that to immigration. I myself have helped others stay right with immigration.

Yes, hindsight is a great thing. but once I had made the decision to overstay to be with my boy, I'll admit I was scared to bite the bullet and maybe not be allowed back in to be with him while he recovered from all the procedures he underwent. I don't deny anywhere that it was anyone's but my own choice and fault. I made the decision and paid for it. I pray no-one else has to be in the same situation but will say, if I could go back in time, I would do exactly the same thing under those circumstances.

• Like 1

Oh yes, you so high and mighty so n so A guy staying to take care of his sick child is most definitely riff raff. He should be lumped in with the sex tourists and others here, publicly flogged and deported!

I was in a similar circumstance 2 1/2 years ago when my son was born and immediately transferred to ICU. It wasn't by choice that I overstayed, it was simply that my love for my son (as appears to be the case above) far outweighed the need to adhere to the laws. After my son was released and had made a full recovery and received a final clearance from the treating doctors (9 months later), I went through immigration showing them the documentation of my son's illness. They were more concerned about him than my overstay. Paid the fine came back 3 days later.

I highly recommend the guy above do the same, as although immigration are strict, they too are human and have compassion.... unlike many of the so called "civilized" westerners who post their vitriolic "anti-everyone except them and their hangers-on and the p!ss-poor countries they come from is DA-best" crud here!

Pity the high and mighty self righteous wouldn't crawl INTO the woodwork...right before it is burnt to ashes

Okay, rant over. Apologies to those who don't fit the category

with all due respect what you claim is nonsense. It was your choice to overstay. You had the option of paying to extend your stay legally. The reason behind your decision to break the law is irrelevant.

Irrelevant to you perhaps.. as I replied elsewhere

"Yes, hindsight is a great thing. but once I had made the decision to overstay to be with my boy, I'll admit I was scared to bite the bullet and maybe not be allowed back in to be with him while he recovered from all the procedures he underwent. I don't deny anywhere that it was anyone's but my own choice and fault. I made the decision and paid for it. I pray no-one else has to be in the same situation but will say, if I could go back in time, I would do exactly the same thing under those circumstances."