Air quality in North still at moderate level

webfact

Air quality in North still at moderate level

BANGKOK, 10 March 2016 (NNT) - Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) director general Chatchai Promlert confirmed that the air quality in nine northern provinces, including Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lampoon, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Prae, Payao and Tak, is still at moderate level.

Meanwhile, Officials have added water in the atmosphere to create humidity and reduce dust particle levels.

The DDPM has advised the public to closely monitor the air quality and haze situation. Firefighting equipment must also be on standby for use.

The general public are requested not to burn garbage or agricultural waste and those living in areas affected by haze should avoid outdoors activities and wear masks while in the open. People affected by haze can contact the Hotline 1784.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-10 footer_n.gif

As my reasonably intelligent Thai wife (well by Thai standards anyway) pointed out to me

"the smoke comes from Laos, Myanmar, and Indonesia, it is not from Thailand"

so there you have it, not "our" fault, it's them other buggers what are doing the burning!

As my reasonably intelligent Thai wife (well by Thai standards anyway) pointed out to me

so there you have it, not "our" fault, it's them other buggers what are doing the burning!

Indonesia is a few thousands km away and it's rainy season there when we have the haze here.

Laos and Myanmar: yes, they do it, but this year with the new restrictions in place the haze in Thailand has been much less,

so those who can compute 2+2 can understand where the bulk of our problem comes from.

Some amount of it is coming from Myanmar with our question, the winds are from the West currently and much of Myanmar is on fire currently, this is probably why the air in Tak province is as bad as it is. BUT, there's also ample burning taking place on home ground, some of it not more than 50 metres from my door.

I know it's galling but your wife's comments do have some basis in fact, here, check it out:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/

http://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/thailand#5/13.149/101.493

"...moderate level."

Of course, he never defines what he considers "moderate".

Just say anything that will make everyone feel good. No matter how much the smoke situation is killing them.

"...those living in areas affected by haze should avoid outdoors activities and wear masks while in the open. People affected by haze can contact the Hotline 1784."

Does this sound like "moderate:?

From the sight of the night time fires up and down the mountains, it doesn't appear that anyone is following the advice not to burn. Anything short of public executions of the perps, will have no effect on the amount of burning.

Please inform your wife that in Chiang Mai regular burning is done by Thai people as can be witnessed every day. Toxic garbage is burning as we speak in illegal garbage dumps and a whole mountain range was burnt down last week around Doi Saket. Educated Thai people are very much concerned, alerting authorities but to no avail. We contacted the OPOT and the media with photo evidence but they don't care. It is more convenient to dump household garbage and construction junk in the forest and burn them on regular basis than pay 20 baht a month for garbage collecting.

Please inform your wife that in Chiang Mai regular burning is done by Thai people as can be witnessed every day. Toxic garbage is burning as we speak in illegal garbage dumps and a whole mountain range was burnt down last week around Doi Saket. Educated Thai people are very much concerned, alerting authorities but to no avail. We contacted the OPOT and the media with photo evidence but they don't care. It is more convenient to dump household garbage and construction junk in the forest and burn them on regular basis than pay 20 baht a month for garbage collecting.

I don't know about other 20 baht garbage collection outfits but the one that collects ours has very strict guidelines as to what they will collect and things they wont. Our will only collect household waste, garden rubbish such as leaves or grass etc are specifically excluded, unless we pay an additional 200 baht a month!!! So whilst not condoning the act of dumping rubbish in the forest and then burning it later, you can see the rationale behind doing so, to some extent. Another angle to consider is that the waste pickup people simply take everything they collect to a single point and remove the things of value (plastic bottlers, paper, cardboard etc) and then burn the rest, Somchai householder figures that he can burn it all just as easily AND save 200 baht a month.

Edited by chiang mai

"...moderate level."

Of course, he never defines what he considers "moderate".

Just say anything that will make everyone feel good. No matter how much the smoke situation is killing them.

"...those living in areas affected by haze should avoid outdoors activities and wear masks while in the open. People affected by haze can contact the Hotline 1784."

Does this sound like "moderate:?

From the sight of the night time fires up and down the mountains, it doesn't appear that anyone is following the advice not to burn. Anything short of public executions of the perps, will have no effect on the amount of burning.

Yeah, we had one of these safety level warnings in the south last years indo-haze season. Proclaiming levels were within the safe limits. You couldn't see the sun, some days the sky was brown and for sure you could taste the dust in the air.

People were issued with masks - that actually did nothing.

So .. I would presume crock-o' from the Thai authorities.

Haze in BKK is persistent. Even though the AQI readings are quite good (moderate; 60-75), the skies are gray with brown tinges on the horizon.

This isn't the usual Chinese, winter garbage. Must be particulates too small to measure. Its been going on for weeks.

"Officials have added water to the atmosphere to create humidity and reduce dust particles "

I did not know that Thailand has a 747 water bomber like the USA has, that can carry 74,000 liters ,

this would be the only way of making a little head way with the volume needed,

The above statement comes with a pinch of salt in mind,

Air quality in North still at moderate level.

Many Thais, particularly those who ride scooters, are complaining that their eyes are 'moderately' sore. While elderly people are only having 'moderate' trouble breathing. So a 'moderate' effort is all that is needed to clear up the problem.

Excellence in Moderation should be the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation's motto.

I don't know about other 20 baht garbage collection outfits but the one that collects ours has very strict guidelines as to what they will collect and things they wont. Our will only collect household waste, garden rubbish such as leaves or grass etc are specifically excluded, unless we pay an additional 200 baht a month!!! So whilst not condoning the act of dumping rubbish in the forest and then burning it later, you can see the rationale behind doing so, to some extent. Another angle to consider is that the waste pickup people simply take everything they collect to a single point and remove the things of value (plastic bottlers, paper, cardboard etc) and then burn the rest, Somchai householder figures that he can burn it all just as easily AND save 200 baht a month.

Your argument is not acceptable. First off, most garbage being burnt is plastic and even glass??? Garden waste like leaves and plant material can be used for composting or mulching etc. I have a huge garden with a lot of garden waste but I never burn it. Maybe Somchai can do the same. About construction junk, most of it can be sold at the local recycle plants and depots that we have at least three in our neighborhood. So please don't tell me Thai people act out of necessity when They burn stuff. I also find it ridiculous to burn corn waste when it can be used as fertilizer. Education is the key here and it's a fact Thailand is nowhere

Acceptable or not, that's the way it is!

These are not things that I am advocating hence I don't have an argument! These are merely an interpretation of the current mindset here, the rationale or reasons why these things are happening around me at least.

And if you think that Somachai and co should start composting, what is their incentive to do so, what new thing will drive them to become composters that hasn't driven them thus far? I mean, this educational process of not burning stuff, composting, using the waste for fertilizers, it's been going on here for at least the past fifteen years to my knowledge - do you have a new plan how it can be improved and accelerated or are you simply expressing indignation and outrage that things don't move as quickly here as they do "back home"!

Their incentive should be better environment for themselves their children and others. Simple things that drive anybody who can see farther than their own nose. I'm not here to change their mentality. As you said this is how it is. I'm just sad to see how they ruin their environment. But I'll leave them to that. And I'm taking my own family far from here. Enjoy your paradise.

Meanwhile, Officials have added water in the atmosphere to create humidity and reduce dust particle levels.

As I have commented in the past - I've witnessed the officials doing this.

Of course they don't spray water over the whole of the northerner region, they concentrate their efforts on spraying water in the vicinity of the environmental monitoring station. .... around the sample intake to be precise.

"Officials have added water to the atmosphere to create humidity and reduce dust particles "

I did not know that Thailand has a 747 water bomber like the USA has, that can carry 74,000 liters ,

this would be the only way of making a little head way with the volume needed,

The above statement comes with a pinch of salt in mind,

I don't think a fleet of 747's will do much except in a localized area. Thailand has i believe one or two DC3's converted to water bombers with a 3000 litre capacity. When in operation they make typically two drops a day. One drop can can significantly improve the air quality over a small area like like one square rai! Its nice to see them in action though.

post-113867-0-12241200-1457938511_thumb.