Thailand taxis to get delayed fare rise but now face high fines for bad behaviour

webfact

Thailand taxis to get delayed fare rise but now face high fines for bad behaviour
STAFF WRITER

ratchaprasong-taxi-refusal.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok’s low taxi fares are legendary, particularly in comparison to their Western city counterparts.

But, of course, with low fares comes a wider margin for bad behaviour. Complaints about some drivers refusing fares, refusing to use the meter, dropping passengers off in the wrong place, bad driving and no seatbelts, are a relatively commonplace occurrence.

However, a new 5 percent fare rise – equal to 50 satang per kilometre – which has been in the works for a while now, is hoping to change that.

Agreed by transport authorities back at the end of 2014 was a 13 percent fare hike for taxis; the first tranche comprised of an 8 percent rise came into effect in early 2015 and the remaining 5 percent rise was delayed until taxis could prove that they had measurably improved their services – namely, always accepting fares and using their meters.

Drivers were denied the raise again in January 2016, and again in a meeting yesterday, according to the Bangkok Post. It is thought that the rise will be introduced after this year’s Songkran celebration in mid-April, however, according to recent reports.

“The five-percent fare rise will happen surely as earlier approved in principle because operating costs have been studied and passengers’ satisfaction surveyed.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/thailand-taxis-to-get-delayed-fare-rise-but-now-face-high-fines-for-bad-behaviour/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-03-10

"The five-percent fare rise will happen surely as earlier approved in principle because operating costs have been studied and passengers’ satisfaction surveyed. But the problem is that the rejection of passengers and failure to use meters continues. So solutions to these must be figured out,” explained Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, minister for transport."

So why is the increase going ahead?

They should charge every taxi an extra fee for inspection stickers and special insurance for any incidents caused by the driver. If a driver is not registered up to date then his vehicle should be impounded. If he refuses a fare and it's reported the person he refused should get compensation for this. Or if a driver strands a passenger or commits a crime their would be a fund for compensation. These drivers do what they want because they know their is not a good system in place to monitor their activities which is sufficient.

They should charge every taxi an extra fee for inspection stickers and special insurance for any incidents caused by the driver. If a driver is not registered up to date then his vehicle should be impounded. If he refuses a fare and it's reported the person he refused should get compensation for this. Or if a driver strands a passenger or commits a crime their would be a fund for compensation. These drivers do what they want because they know their is not a good system in place to monitor their activities which is sufficient.

Inspection is a key word - How many times has a taxi pulled up with damaged panels, seats falling apart, door sills rusted out. How can this be? Obviously there is no regular inspection. Always some limited action after the event.

Until there is a proactive appoach, to many things, there will not be improvements towards first world.

Inspection is a key word - How many times has a taxi pulled up with damaged panels, seats falling apart, door sills rusted out. How can this be? Obviously there is no regular inspection. Always some limited action after the event.

Until there is a proactive appoach, to many things, there will not be improvements towards first world.

You were doing fine until you spoiled it with the "door sills rusted out" remark. I seriously doubt that any vehicles in Bangkok would be displaying serious corrosion such as that, particularly a metered taxi. But if you've got pictures please post them.

You were doing fine until you spoiled it with the "door sills rusted out" remark. I seriously doubt that any vehicles in Bangkok would be displaying serious corrosion such as that, particularly a metered taxi. But if you've got pictures please post them.

I worry more about the noises i hear from the axels/engine/gearbox....Many of them can't even go above 100 km/hr becuase the hole car starts shaking.

Also they should forbid changing the color so we can see how old they are. Especially at night those repainted ones show up and they are the worst.

I even had taxi's from the airport without the dashboard or doorpanels, wires going all over the dash to the metre (god knows what he was building into it).

Paying more is OK but then they should speak english, use the metre and have a high quality taxi just like ATT, a brand new Prius with gps and a well dressed driver who doesn't smell.

That will never happen so i think only ATT deserves the priceraise.

why would they pay the increase when taxis are still not following the rules.

Try and flag a taxi from Sukhumvit to Ratchada at almost any hour of the day/night and you will get told 'mai pai' or asked to pay off the meter 4-5 times before MAYBE finding someone to take you.

why would they pay the increase when taxis are still not following the rules.

Try and flag a taxi from Sukhumvit to Ratchada at almost any hour of the day/night and you will get told 'mai pai' or asked to pay off the meter 4-5 times before MAYBE finding someone to take you.

During rush hour or busy times, why would you want to spend two hours sitting in a taxi instead of 10 minutes on the train?

Wouldn't the 50% drop in fuel prices these unsavoury characters enjoyed -and still enjoy- compensate amply for a fare rise they really don't deserve?

The price of the gas taxes are using did not drop by 1%.

This post is typical. Using the taxi several times a day I get refused maybe once or twice a month. And I don't see where the problem is then with more than 100,000 taxis roaming Bangkok's roads. If the first one does not want I take the next one. Actually I prefer it that way: I want a happy driver to bring me to my destination. If he is forced to bring me somewhere where he does not want to go to whats the point?

It seems most people forget that they enjoy the cheapest taxi fares, probably worldwide.

And also I never had taxis without the dashboard or door-panels, wires going all over the dash to the metre or anything similar like that. Not one in six full years living here in Bangkok And taking taxis regularly, every day.

The laws against bad behaviour have always been in place. I small increase in fares will never stop the "bad behaviour" without proper enforcement.

The complaint line isn't worth the money they are paying for their phone lines as there is zero enforcement, the fines they do had out are too low, and the complaint line is in Thai only.

13 years ago the complaint line was effective, the enforcement was much better and almost all taxi's used the meters.

Yesterday i tried for 15 mins to get a taxi from sukhumvit 11 to Silom at noon (traffic was not bad yet). Many taxi's asked for 200 baht some just said no. Ended up having to go by BTS.